Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

How realistic is the Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended?

Hey all,

I've recently gone one a bit of buying spree of caribbean airports when TropicalSim had their 40% off sale going on. Thus I have MDPC, MBPV, TAPA, TNCA and TNCC waiting for my virtual presence. This in addition to FT's nice TNCM, which I've had for a long time now. Airports that I got are served by a variety of operators, but I made a point of buying airports that are served by at least one or two aircraft that currently exist for P3Dv4. One very popular aircraft model is the DHC6 Twin Otter, for which Aerosoft has created a rather well-known rendition. From looking at reviews and Youtube videos, the aircraft appears fairly realistic, and incorporates checklists that can be followed to the T. On the flipside, engine start itself appears to be just the default-like FSX/P3D piston engine startup, with temps and all increasing wildly and then going down again - which seems wildly inaccurate to me after watching some real-world DHC6 engine starts on Youtube. Such videos are not 100% reliable, but what they clearly show is that the engine doesn't surge and then idle. Rather, values increase and stabilize - as any engine typically does.

Currently there's a sale going on for the Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended, and I find myself torn on whether to get it or not. On the one hand this is the plane that primarily serves many Caribbean islands. On the other hand I'm a little disappointed by the lack of a proper engine start simulation.

I realize I could of course just take my A2A C172 and fly to any of these Caribbean destinations, but I tend to like passenger operations and use the planes that are actually used. Hence my interest in the Twotter.

Any recommendations and opinions would be welcome!

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

The Twotter Extended would get a "B" from me...nothing so bad that it utterly destroys the experience, but there are some nagging issues like the start, as you mentioned.  The sound is a bit tinny and flat, and the only way to integrate the various Garmin GNS/GTN units (e.g. Flight1 or RealityXP) for navigation is to add them as pop-up panels, as the developer flat-out refused to consider upgrading the panel to accomodate them, which would have been a real step up.

If you want a good turboprop suitable for Caribbean island-hopping, I'd instead recommend the Majestic Q400 (Dash-8), which is, IMHO, the best medium turboprop for FSX/P3D3/P3D4 by any measure.

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

24 minutes ago, w6kd said:

The Twotter Extended would get a "B" from me...nothing so bad that it utterly destroys the experience, but there are some nagging issues like the start, as you mentioned.  The sound is a bit tinny and flat, and the only way to integrate the various Garmin GNS/GTN units (e.g. Flight1 or RealityXP) for navigation is to add them as pop-up panels, as the developer flat-out refused to consider upgrading the panel to accomodate them, which would have been a real step up.

If you want a good turboprop suitable for Caribbean island-hopping, I'd instead recommend the Majestic Q400 (Dash-8), which is, IMHO, the best medium turboprop for FSX/P3D3/P3D4 by any measure.

Cheers

Thanks for your impression Bob, this is what I feared...

As for the Majestic Dash 8, I have this bird but it's rarely if ever used around the Caribbean. I'm looking for aircraft that is used by the actual operators in this region, and it seems the Twotter is pretty much the only one. I do know of the Flysimware C402 having some limited routes, and since I already have the C208B from Carenado, I guess I could also do FedEx runs from TJSJ, if all else fails...

I will add that Virtualcol is right out, as I do want some system depth in my addon aircraft. In addition, I would consider the Carenado Saab 340, but it'd have to go on sale. It seems to me that for the price of the Carenado Saab, I might as well get the cheaper and better simulated Twotter?

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

w6kd gives a fair assessment of the Twin Otter. In my opinion, the Q400 and AS aircraft are not in the same category with the Q400 a much superior option. 

AS has hinted that the Twotter a/c will be updated...in which decade, remains a mystery. With an add-on GPS, the aircraft is a lot of fun to fly. There's nothing like taking this plane into Saba airport!

I wouldn't discourage a "sale price" buy of this aircraft...although dated, it is great for Caribbean short hauls as well as coastal BC/Alaskan bush flying!

Edited by rmeier

1 hour ago, Benjamin J said:

Any recommendations and opinions would be welcome!

The Twin Otter Extended is an okay aircraft that is easy-ish to fly, though difficult to fly well, especially by hand. It models a number of systems, although the value of this is limited as very few systems ever fail. This renders the entire checklist, complete though it appears, as basically pointless. It's also tedious to do the whole way through and you probably won't do it more than a couple of times! The engine start is simplified for sure, at least in how much attention you need to give it. Whether it's realistic in terms of how the engines spool up seems moot unless there is some decision-making you need to do based on how they behave. In practice the only variable you need to pay attention to on engine start is the n1 RPM, and it's a simple either/or whether you get a successful start or an engine fire.

The electrical system is modelled comprehensively, which means you can simulate failing bits of it. The pneumatic system is modelled, so you can use de-icing measure somewhat realistically, although you really need an addon (icev10 and my own icev10a) for this to be of much use. Engine fires and ice flame-outs are modelled, so you do need to look after the engines and use the intake anti-ice measures. Performance is very sensitive to density altitude, though whether the numbers are strictly realistic is disputed. The autopilot is idiosyncratic but is modelled almost completely (linear deviation from a VORTAC is missing), which is an interesting thing in itself and adds value. There is a FD with steering bars on the ADI so hand-flying with steering prompts is an option. You have two NAV instruments with glide-slope and localiser, plus a ADF and DME so can fly IFR with some flexibility. If you get a proper GNS530 (RXP) it adds a lot to the package, although as others have said, you will need to use it as a popup. The built-in GPS is basically a slightly-enhanced default G500.

Flying precisely is kind of hard due to the long spool-up/down of the engines, which is a P3D feature. There pitch changes under power are also not what you would expect, and there is some consensus that it is not accurate. But it is predictable and again, it makes the aircraft idiosyncratic. Auto-feather is modelled but pointless as P3D doesn't to my knowledge really model feathering or prop drag effects. You can fly it on floats and there is some slight concession to water ops (start locks on the props), although it makes little difference.

On balance I think it's a good aircraft, although I've stuck with it mainly because I built a cockpit around it. It probably doesn't compare with A2A as a deep simulation but I'd recommend it, especially if it's on sale.

Edited by MarkDH
  • Like 2

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Aerosofts turbine engine modeling needs improvement.  The Otter and CRJ are horrible in this regard.  This was acceptable ten years ago but not now.  I know there is limitations in the simulation but most everyone else has been able to work around it.  IMO Aerosoft aircraft are one small step above  Carenado.  

Matt Wilson

One thing to also consider for the Twin Otter is that a new Lukla/Everest scenery is in beta phase over at Aerosoft.

Preview_February_003.jpg.d8a5759fa9044ac

Looks like a great place to take the Twotter for a spin.

Preview_February_006.jpg.c153faae252021c

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/115871-lukla-mount-everest-new-scenery-announcement/&page=4

i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz, ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING, 32GB DDR4 2666MHz, 750W EVGA SuperNOVA, 512GB Samsung 960 PRO, 1TB Western Digital - Black Edition
RTX 2080Ti (MSI trio), Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

As an alternative you could consider Carenado's Do228 or Flight1 BN-2 Islander (there is even a freeware mod for this to simulate spark plug fouling etc)

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

3 hours ago, w6kd said:

the Majestic Q400 (Dash-8), which is, IMHO, the best medium turboprop for FSX/P3D3/P3D4 by any measure.

Took the words right out of my mouth Bob. ever since I got the full set of the Airline2sim videos, been flying it non-stop last few days.

I have eh Twotter but only ever used it very rarely in FSX to replicate Loganair flights to the Outer Hebrides where I used to see them every day

As for the GPS, you CAN install the latest RXP GNS530 into the panel.

Since the RXP GNS V2 has the option of a "no-bezel" install, it does go in cleanly and works well.  :smile:

You need to complement that with a little xml gauge that translates a few missing GPS button codes, but it is all do-able.. and worth it, if you would like to fly this airplane with IFR capability.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Until just a few years ago the Caribbean used to be full of dash 8s , now they’ve all gone to the ATR which would mean waiting for Milviz I guess.

There’s a couple of charter jet stream 31 aircraft knocking around between the islands.

At the other end of the scale I used to operate the (RW) 747-400 between Antigua - Barbados, Grenada -Barbados, and St Lucia-Barbados  during extended layovers in the Caribbean which was amazing flying, taking a big jet into small islands. Sadly that work is now done by airbus 330 aircraft.

Historically LIAT used to have a fleet of HS748s so there’s the Just flight version available, but that’s probably less realistic than the aerosoft twin otter to be honest.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

How about the Milviz Turbo Otter. I realize it is not a twin, but wondering if its turbine engine modelling superior to that of the Aerosoft Twin Otter?

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Okay, thanks all for the comments! I think I know all I need. I think  might just go ahead and get it.

The fact is I'd like to see where Milviz is heading with their ATR, but seeing how some of their other products went down, development-wise, I'm not going to hold my breath. No idea how long it may take for their ATR to land, even if the modeling seems to be coming along very well. It's sad, because the ATR seems to be the plane aorund the Caribbean these days, in favor of the Dash 8, as jon b also commented. Anybody any idea how come? Is this related to the French origin of the ATR, and the fact that many Caribbean islands are French or ex-French (in other words: political reasons)?

Benjamin van Soldt

3 hours ago, AviatorMan said:

How about the Milviz Turbo Otter. I realize it is not a twin, but wondering if its turbine engine modelling superior to that of the Aerosoft Twin Otter?

No doubt, since from Milviz's description they actually model the PT-6 themselves. As far as I know Aerosoft's is built on the standard P3D turboprop model.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro