Sign in to follow this  
westman

9900k on Z370 nice combo

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I agree with @Gabe777 that pushing the CPU to its absolute limits is unwise with the benefits being so small. I have my i7-8086K set at 4.6Ghz now and I'm more than happy. If I need a few more fps at busy airports like EGLL or KLAX I just reduce UT Live from 100% down to a lower level. Removing 50+ Ai will have a significant impact on performance.

The worst performance I've had was on approach to Aerosoft Heathrow Xtended 09L with 230+ Ai and the fps hovered around 20. Still more than acceptable for a good landing. And that's running at UHD!

I accept there are people who want the maximum performance from their systems but don't understand their logic. Each to their own I suppose.

Ray its all up to you and Gabe77, can give you a small hint this system is atleast 30% faster and 2 more cores then your 8086k with slow 3000mhz mems.

As TS i hope you can start a tread there you discuss pushing your systems to the absolute limits , i have not push this to the limits yet iam on the safe side for 5-6years on other hand i get a new system to test soon.

After reading your Mega tread 5GHZ OC and even give you some answers, not sure you now what the absolute limits is atleast not on my system.

Edited by westman

@westman, enjoy your extreme system. I'm enjoying mine. I don't consider 3000Mhz memory slow.

it seems you're still not satisifed and want an even faster system. Addicted to speed? Sounds like it to me. 😂

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@westman, enjoy your extreme system. I'm enjoying mine. I don't consider 3000Mhz memory slow.

it seems you're still not satisifed and want an even faster system. Addicted to speed? Sounds like it to me. 😂

Yes want a faster system, iam one of lucky that get new test hardware for free 

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I agree with @Gabe777 that pushing the CPU to its absolute limits is unwise with the benefits being so small. I have my i7-8086K set at 4.6Ghz now and I'm more than happy. If I need a few more fps at busy airports like EGLL or KLAX I just reduce UT Live from 100% down to a lower level. Removing 50+ Ai will have a significant impact on performance.

The worst performance I've had was on approach to Aerosoft Heathrow Xtended 09L with 230+ Ai and the fps hovered around 20. Still more than acceptable for a good landing. And that's running at UHD!

I accept there are people who want the maximum performance from their systems but don't understand their logic. Each to their own I suppose.

Totally.

I reduce Autogen from very dense to Normal and get a 30 percent boost !

Why would I pay over a 1000 quids to upgrade from a 7700k at 4.5 auto boost, plus a 1080 GTX , to a 9xxx and a 2080 ti, for a 25 percent boost ?

Equally, why fry my CPU - which never exceeds 65 degrees, for a boost of 5 to 10 FPS...?

FLIGHTSIM  has never looked so good... I run on a 32 inch MVA 2K monitor and P3D is gorgous.

I'll say it - I'm not afraid - I will not be greedy.

In 2 or 3 years, when a 6 or 700 quid investment will give me a 60 or 70 percent boost - without any stoopid overclocking - I may THEN upgrade, and my current hardware can be relegated to a media PC, for running 16K video at 1000 fps !

2 hours ago, westman said:

Ray its all up to you and Gabe77, can give you a small hint this system is atleast 30% faster and 2 more cores then your 8086k with slow 3000mhz mems.

I think you're underestimating the 9900K at 5.4/5.0 with 4000+ low latency memory ....I'd like to see Rays hardware configuration vs yours, with the p3d settings you run, set a with a FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=.01.  <vbg>

Edited by FunknNasty

26 minutes ago, Gabe777 said:

Totally.

I reduce Autogen from very dense to Normal and get a 30 percent boost !

Why would I pay over a 1000 quids to upgrade from a 7700k at 4.5 auto boost, plus a 1080 GTX , to a 9xxx and a 2080 ti, for a 25 percent boost ?

Equally, why fry my CPU - which never exceeds 65 degrees, for a boost of 5 to 10 FPS...?

FLIGHTSIM  has never looked so good... I run on a 32 inch MVA 2K monitor and P3D is gorgous.

I'll say it - I'm not afraid - I will not be greedy.

In 2 or 3 years, when a 6 or 700 quid investment will give me a 60 or 70 percent boost - without any stoopid overclocking - I may THEN upgrade, and my current hardware can be relegated to a media PC, for running 16K video at 1000 fps !

My processor runs at 70c and processes 2x what yours does.

I probably paid 20% more for my hardware than you did for yours but I'm probably getting 2x the performance ...greedy? I call it surplus value.

I ran a Sandybridge at 5.0 for 5 years ....the 1st of year of use I was publishing benchmarks at 5.4 Ghz .... The person I sold it to says it's still running strong.

31 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

I think you're underestimating the 9900K at 5.4/5.0 with 4000+ low latency memory ....I'd like to see Rays hardware configuration vs yours, with the p3d settings you run, set a with a FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=.01.  <vbg>

Iam a nice guy not want to harm them to much, you ar probaly right my friend. 

@westmanhasn’t disclosed his graphics card or resolution. And @FunknNastyis running at 2560*@1440 which for a 1080Ti is like running a Ferrari at 50mph.

Why aren’t you running at 4K when your kit can support it?

I don’t have all sliders to the right. I fly Boeing so have no need to see every building in P3D.

And what is FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=.01 all about? I thought P3D didn’t need tweaks?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

32 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

My processor runs at 70c and processes 2x what yours does.

I probably paid 20% more for my hardware than you did for yours but I'm probably getting 2x the performance ...greedy? I call it surplus value.

I ran a Sandybridge at 5.0 for 5 years ....the 1st of year of use I was publishing benchmarks at 5.4 Ghz .... The person I sold it to says it's still running strong.

Which is great.

But you are not getting 2x the FPS performance.

If you are upgrading from old stuff then fine.

Bu it isn't worth upgrading from Kabylake just yet.

But I think the point we were making was that overclocking for a 10 percent gain isn't worth the benefit... I see 8 and 9 series cpus running at 90 degrees...  and that's with massive and noisy watercoolers.

We Kabylakers just reduce a few sliders 1 or 2 notches and still get a 30 percent boost.

I will not overclock 10 percent and fry my cpu just for 5 or 6 more fps. It is absurd... as is upgrading for just a 30 percent boost.

My best upgrade was to a M.2 NvMe drive.

Edited by Gabe777

47 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@westman@FunknNastyAnd what is FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=.01 all about? I thought P3D didn’t need tweaks?

Ray, I put your +/- with regard to your contributions to these forums in the solid + range but, like a few others around here, I get the sense that your appreciation of P3d is a bit on the shallow side. I see the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=XX as more of a resource than a tweak.

48 minutes ago, Gabe777 said:

Which is great.

But you are not getting 2x the FPS performance.

I'm claiming performance with no FPS qualifier. Heck, my fps counter maxes out at 30 fps.

6 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

Ray, I put your +/- with regard to your contributions to these forums in the solid + range but, like a few others around here, I get the sense that your appreciation of P3d is a bit on the shallow side. I see the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=XX as more of a resource than a tweak.

I love P3D but I'd rather spend time flying than tweaking. I still have no idea what that tweak does. Care to elaborate?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@westmanhasn’t disclosed his graphics card or resolution. 

4K . its a Galaxy 1080TI HOF OC Lab Edition in the 9900k PC have 4 of them and one Galaxy 2080TI HOF OC Lab edition that i shall put in later ( my 8700k was runing with that 1080TI have to test the diffrence to the 9900k)

http://galaxstore.net/GALAX-GeForce-RTX-2080Ti-HOF-OC-Lab-WC-Edition_p_180.html

Edited by westman
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I love P3D but I'd rather spend time flying than tweaking. I still have no idea what that tweak does. Care to elaborate?

Well, I'm pretty darn proud of my flight book.

"Can I elaborate?" -I'd rather not, as they're are smarter people than I on the topic that already have.