Sign in to follow this  
shilobanderas

Where to start after long absence

Hi All,

I am excited to get back to flight sim. I haven't played since FS2004. I had loads of add-ons and long nights of computer maintenance. I think I learned more about computers than flying, but loved participating in virtual airlines. I like to run a few scenery add-ons and  fly PMDG 737. Am thinking about going with 777 once I am back up and running. I am getting back into it now, because my son wants a gaming PC. I figured if I am building a PC I might as well build one for flight sim (little does he know he will never get to use it...).

I am thinking of making switch to Prepar3d over FSX. Any thoughts?

As for build, I've heard quad core at 4.2GHz, 16 GB RAM and GTX 1070 as benchmark hardware for P3D. Are there any tips or tricks? Would you take the time to build your own or go with one of the pre-built systems like Jetline Systems.

I look forward to getting back into the maddening world of flight sim again. My wife ignores me anyway, so I've got nothing to lose.

1 hour ago, shilobanderas said:

I think I learned more about computers than flying

Welcome back. In this regard little has changed...... The new simulator standard is P3D v4.4...  The new computer and video card standards continue to evolve...

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, shilobanderas said:

Would you take the time to build your own or go with one of the pre-built systems like Jetline Systems. 

Where are you located.  One retailer, Microcenter, will help you with specs and assemble and test your system.  Need to check on the current fee but in 2015 it was $129 and included a guarantee for a certain amount of time.  My system now has 3.5 years in the mirror and going strong.  If you are located near a Microcenter I highly recommend them.  If you are adventurous to build your own Microcenter has a department specifically dedicated to supporting you!
I have absolutely no affiliation with Microcenter or any other supplier.  Just highly satisfied!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks. I live in Taiwan, but am back and forth often enough I could bring a pre-built system back. Most likely I will assemble it here in Taiwan. (Many of the components are made here anyway...)

2 minutes ago, shilobanderas said:

Thanks. I live in Taiwan, but am back and forth often enough I could bring a pre-built system back. Most likely I will assemble it here in Taiwan. (Many of the components are made here anyway...)

Good luck to you and to your son. Trust the real world personality of flight simulation might overcome the fantasy aspects of other gaming.  And if he gains that interest he will dominate use of the system and who knows what else may take place in your life.....

Frank Patton
ASUS