CpnBill

New to Prepar3d- Video Card upgrade time

1 minute ago, kevinfirth said:

Neither did I, but I didnt want to regret my choice and spend the next few years wishing I'd spent a little bit more....

a 2nd 2080TI....

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'm definitely CPU-bound now with my 2080 Ti. I've read the 10-series Intel CPU's will be out this year. Better start working more overtime. 

Ben 

So after looking at video card benchmarks......I'm still left with a few questions.  I do know that everyone is different, and everyone's budget is diff.  I know I'm not going to get 80+ FPS and everything perfect, but I also personally can't drop $1,000 on a video card.  (Yet I will burn a $5 cigar with no problem.)  So go figure.

Anyway.....what would be wrong with a 

RTX 2070

RTX 2060

GTX 1660 Ti

These cards are ranked in the top 30 overall, I just don't see how they wouldn't be a vast improvement of what I'm currently running.

Posted (edited)

I can highly recommend the 2080TI 🙂

But seriously any upgrade you will notice. In most situations the biggest impact will be your CPU. Ideally you should get a 2070 with a 8700K or better still an i9 9900K.

Really most of the performance improvement I saw was moving to the 9900K. Problem is then you have to get a new MB and RAM so it adds up quickly.

There are no easy answers but a 1070 would be an awful shame. Better save up another few 100 bucks (wait for P3D v5) and get a RTX2070.

Edited by DellyPilot
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DellyPilot said:

I can highly recommend the 2080TI 🙂

I concur...

• Upvote 1

RTX 2080 (No TI) is my vote for your rig.

Regards
bs

• Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 11:58 AM, kaha said:

If one can get hold of two used 1080ti a 2-way SLI configuration using 1080ti is much faster than a single 2080ti, given the CPU is capable.

No, not really.  I upgraded from a pair of overclocked eVGA FTW3 1080Tis to a single 2080Ti, and the performance in P3D is marginally better with the 2080Ti, and without all the SLI hassles.

A pair of used 1080Tis (they remain in considerable demand) is still likely to be pretty close to the price tag of a 2080Ti right now, anyway.

Regards

Here's an update on my current situation...

I have the 1080Ti and going to install tonight.  Do I need to dump the .cfg file once I install the new card?  

59 minutes ago, CpnBill said:

I have the 1080Ti and going to install tonight.  Do I need to dump the .cfg file once I install the new card?  

Yes I would for good measure and delete your shaders folder

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Which .cfg is it again?  I forget

Edited by CpnBill

On 3/8/2019 at 4:58 PM, kevinfirth said:

I concur...

Make that 3....😎

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 6:29 PM, strat919 said:

Not trying to butt in, but I am running a 6700k at 4.7. OC, I have a 1080 (non Ti) and am perfectly satisfied running at 4k with single monitor at 30hz..... except with overcast condition with AS. I'm ready to bite the bullet on a 2080ti if I was certain it would greatly help in that situation. Any thoughts?

I don't think a 2080 TI would help at all , I saw many comparison videos 1080TI VS 2080 TI and both perform very similar in overcast condition. That is the reason why I stayed with my 1080 TI 

1 hour ago, mr340 said:

I don't think a 2080 TI would help at all , I saw many comparison videos 1080TI VS 2080 TI and both perform very similar in overcast condition. That is the reason why I stayed with my 1080 TI 

A 2080ti will easily outperform a 1080ti.  A 2080ti will outperform 2 1080ti SLI as well.

• Upvote 1

On 3/6/2019 at 3:47 PM, CpnBill said:

When you say Ti....do you mean 1080 / 2080?  Or would a 1070 Ti do the trick?

Also thank you, that's exactly what I'm looking for in your response...

Budgets are important to me too.  I think a 1070 Ti would be a good value card.

3 hours ago, CpnBill said:

Which .cfg is it again?  I forget

Prepar3D.cfg

Located in C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Thanks Guys.....I deleted it and got it up and running and getting about 60FPS in the air, haven't quite got all my AI/Add-ons in yet to figure out the airports but it's at least 30, so I'm happy with a $300 1080Ti. 🙂

Posted (edited)
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 8:03 PM, mpw8679 said:

A 2080ti will easily outperform a 1080ti.  A 2080ti will outperform 2 1080ti SLI as well.

Well in other games . But with P3D V4 I saw similar performance  in the same type of condition . This is a video I saw 

Edited by mr340

22 minutes ago, mr340 said:

Well in other games . But with P3D V4 I saw similar performance  in the same type of condition . This is a video I saw 

That comparison video is laughable at best.  Of course they will have comparable performance when you run such conservative settings.  Not really sure what he was going for there.

Just now, mpw8679 said:

That comparison video is laughable at best.  Of course they will have comparable performance when you run such conservative settings.  Not really sure what he was going for there.

Well they are many other just like that. In fact I think our good friend Rob posted video  as well . So that's not the only video with similar results . P3D V4 doesn't take full advantage from the RTX capabilities that's why you see similar results with the 1080TI

Just now, mpw8679 said:

This is from Rob himself I quote: As most are aware, to really see these cards shine on the FPS front requires support for DLSS and ray tracing extensions to replace dynamic lights. 
P3D doesn't have DLSS and Ray tracing yet. Maybe in the future but not now . That's why I decided to stay with my 1080TI . Thanks ROB 🙂  

By the way this the original post 

9 minutes ago, mr340 said:

Well they are many other just like that. In fact I think our good friend Rob posted video  as well . So that's not the only video with similar results . P3D V4 doesn't take full advantage from the RTX capabilities that's why you see similar results with the 1080TI

I’ve ran a single 1080ti, 1080ti SLI, and currently a 2080ti.  I know what each setup will do under specific conditions.  Trust me a 2080ti is considerable improvement over a 1080ti.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, mpw8679 said:

I’ve ran a single 1080ti, 1080ti SLI, and currently a 2080ti.  I know what each setup will do under specific conditions.  Trust me a 2080ti is considerable improvement over a 1080ti.  

Well you are the only one  that thinks so . So that's a very good thing considering the price difference between the two , to get 5% more FPS than the 1080TI and consider it as improvement over a 1080TI . Maybe you see improvement in other area such as better AA . But with performance 5% more than the 1080TI is not an improvement for that price . I know many other will also agree. 

3 minutes ago, mr340 said:

Well you are the only one  that thinks so . So that's a very good thing considering the price difference between the two , to get 5% more FPS than the 1080TI and consider it as improvement over a 1080TI . Maybe you see improvement in other area such as better AA . But with performance 5% more than the 1080TI is not an improvement for that price . I know many other will also agree. 

There is no truth to anything in that post.  There are others in this forum with very similar findings that support my claim.  Anyone that agrees with your claim has never done a valid comparison.  You add night flying, lots of shadows, high AA, heavy weather, 4K, dynamic lighting the 1080ti gives out rather quickly.  Yes the 2080ti is expensive but it does handle these conditions much better then a 1080ti.  Much better than your 5%.  I was seeing a 40-50% lower GPU workload with the 2080ti vs the 1080ti.  10% lower workload compared to 2X 1080ti SLI.  Like I said the video you posted is a horrible comparison and Rob did not directly compare a single 1080ti to a single 2080ti.  If your happy with your 1080ti the more power to ya.  But please don’t make false claims just to justify your GPU of choice.