Sign in to follow this  
Sean Reidy

Best/most scenic Routes to Fly.

Hi guys, been getting bored of the same old same old in flightsim and wanna challenge myself. So I've come here with the hope that you guys would suggest some cool scenic routes or challenging approaches to fly. Flight can be any length, anywhere on the planet. P.S if you could include the airline and aircraft that flies said flight that would be great. Thanks.👍

Link does not work unless you sign up.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Here is a good link with the appropriate aircraft to fly.  I have done most of them and they are challenging. You would have to decide on your own departure airport and I would advise looking for some descent scenery/airport packages to download.

http://www.simtours.net/difficultapproaches.php

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

GA: Pick any plane you think is best

http://digitalthemepark.blogspot.com/p/achievement-discover-us.html -- lots of "world tour" flight plans for USA, Europe, Aussie, South, and Central America Caribbean 

http://www.simtours.net/  -- and old site but still applies

https://www.flightsimbooks.com/  -- lots of narrated situations in several free flight sim books  

Airline/GA:

https://flightaware.com/  --under live flight tracking is a random flight selector for real world flights all over the world. You can select flights by airport and aircraft type as well.

Edited by pracines

Bishop in the Owens Valley in California up to Reno, for me arguably the most scenic US route to fly, especially over Photo Scenery.  Pick an aircraft that cruises best around 12,000 feet or so, for the best VFR scenery but even a light biz jet is fun to fly.  Salt Lake directly south to Phoenix is also incredible, with the flight path just to the west of the Wasatch range and a nice overflight of the Grand Canyon not long before landing in Phoenix.

In Europe, Salzburg to Geneva is a great route, to the north of the core of the Swiss and Austrian alps.

In South America, Margarita Island to Canaima, to the beautiful flat topped mountains that are home to Angel Falls.

John

If you have decent scenery/mesh, try flying the Columbia River.  Start at Spokane and follow the river up to Castlegar and then Revelstoke.

scott s.

• Like 1

Do you have any add on scenery? I have some wonderful approaches available but without scenery like mesh and landclass the default can be hugely disappointing!

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

T2G's Toncontin is one approach; FSDG's Paro is another one.

Flown Toncontin Approach in a CS757-300v3.

Edited by vc10man

Landing at TFFJ with Fly Tampa's St.Maarten scenery is a real challenge.

Winair and St.Barths Commuter fly this route in Twin Otters and Cessna Caravans.

Bert

The most scenic route I’ever flown several times in real life is YVR-YYC.  If you have ORBX Northern Rockies it will look great in the sim.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Some of my favourites:

CYYC-CYCG

Flights going from EGET or EGEO to islands nearby

CYFB - BGGH

SCEL - SCCI

I use ORBX regions and a mesh, and pay- and freeware airports.

Peter

I think the FTX FREEWARE global airport pack used with their GLOBAL/VECTOR products are the best value out there. i count 4000 extra airports, most modeled very well. If you can get global mesh too you have a lot of places top fly to.

Random GREAT approach (challenging) is AOSTA LIMW Italy.

There is a STAR and VOR/DME approach where on the chart it states  SPECIALLY TRAINED FLIGHT CREWS ONLY allowed to fly this procedure. Some tight turns around mountains then a very steep descent. I had to use landing flaps/gear and idle on a Learjet to get down in time. Would be terrifying in IMC!

Navigraph has the best charts for this couldn't find anywhere elsewhere.

https://airportnavfinder.com/airport/LIMW/

https://acukwik.com/Airport-Info/LIMW

https://airportguide.com/airport/info/AOT

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

UK and France departures to Almeria on the south coast of Spain can take you over the Bay of Biscay then across the Pyrenees for a descent close to the Sierra Nevada just prior to approach. Quite a few UK airlines do that flight from Manchester, including Thomas Cook Airlines with an A321.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

If you want a super mega-challenge and you have either the Aerosoft Airbus A321, or the BBS A321, try this one...

This is a real world flight which we do with a Thomas Cook Airlines Airbus A321-211 (Flight No: MT1443). It is right on the ragged edge of what is possible with the aircraft type. Only two A321s in the TC fleet make this flight, these being  ones with a reduced rear cargo hold baggage capacity owing to an additional fuel tank installed in the area behind the wing (so that's about 70 bags you can no longer load in the rear cargo hold in the into the wing position). If you can manage this flight as per the real one, with legal fuel reserves and proper routing, it'll mean you're not only a pretty good airline pilot, but also a pretty good dispatcher as well.

So, here's your challenge: It's a Thomas Cook Airbus A321-211, flying from Banjul-Yundum (GBYD) in the Gambia, to Manchester (EGCC) in the UK, which is a straight line distance of 2,873 miles. The range of the A321 is 3,200 miles (although as noted, the two which TC use for this flight have an extended range tank). To make matters harder, this flight generally flies at or very near full capacity (so, usually around 200 pax and 200 bags). It would normally cruise at 36,000 feet and the route it flies is (obviously) about as near as is possible to a straight line as can be managed in the FMC, that route usually passes over Gran Canaria, Vigo, Brest, then makes landfall on the coast of the UK at Plymouth, it then passes between Swansea and Cardiff, after which it heads pretty much straight for Manchester via Honiley, until it intercepts the STAR for an approach into Manchester, typically coming in on 23R.

This flight is so close to being not possible with this aircraft that the EFBs in the cockpit of the real thing can't actually accept it as a plan because of the CoG limitations from the way you have to load the bags, so it has to be done on an external one lol, and if the wrong fuel density calculation is used, that can really screw it up too. So it'll definitely challenge your FMC programming skills and your flying skills if you can pull this flight off without having to divert to somewhere because of low fuel.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here