Sign in to follow this  
jbcallender

Bit the Bullet Once and For All - RTX 2080ti

I finally got tired of 15 to 20 fps in P3D.  I have bought the RTX2080ti, upgrading from a GTX1080.  I have an i7-8700K with SSD's and 16gb.  I fly with all the usual suspects, PMDG, FSL, ORBX, FSDT, LatinVFR, Chaseplan, GSX, ActiveSky.  My performance is respectable, but can't break out of the 10 to 20 FPS range.  So I decided to go for it and bought the Gigabit 2080ti Gaming OC vid card.   I think that will give me some FPS insurance for the next several years.

I only ask that you don't tell my wife.  I'm just going to say "Oh, that's just some stuff for my computer."  I'll let you know how it goes.....

Jeff Callender

Jeff Callender

You can stay with me if you need to, but bring the 2080ti.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Daniel Rosso: ATP Single and Multi-Engine: B757 B767 BAE-ATP DA-50 DA-20 CE-650 CE-560-XL CE-525S DO-228: Flight Instructor Single and Multiengine Airplane Gold Seal:  Ground Instructor Advanced and Instrument: Remote Pilot SUAS

2 hours ago, jbcallender said:

I finally got tired of 15 to 20 fps in P3D.  I have bought the RTX2080ti, upgrading from a GTX1080.  I have an i7-8700K with SSD's and 16gb.  I fly with all the usual suspects, PMDG, FSL, ORBX, FSDT, LatinVFR, Chaseplan, GSX, ActiveSky.  My performance is respectable, but can't break out of the 10 to 20 FPS range.  So I decided to go for it and bought the Gigabit 2080ti Gaming OC vid card.   I think that will give me some FPS insurance for the next several years.

I only ask that you don't tell my wife.  I'm just going to say "Oh, that's just some stuff for my computer."  I'll let you know how it goes.....

Jeff Callender

With 10 to 20 fps range its rather strange that the GTX1080 cant keep up . Not much to do under these conditions you should expect. 

I have @25HZ 4K monitor (unlimited FPS) with a i7-4770K@4,6 GTX1080Ti and it is very very hard to have the GPU above 80% workload. (overcast ,dynamic lights and reflections can do it)

I am surpriced with your CPU as it should be at least 25% faster than mine.

Some settings you need to adjust ?

Thanks

Michael Moe

Edited by Michael Moe
  • Upvote 1

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

A couple of questions...

1) What speed is the 8700K running at?

2) What is the resolution of your monitor?

Greg

Its to late to offer advice. He already bought it and when his wife finds out he will be living in a fridge box under a bridge. Just him and his RTX 2080ti. What a tragedy. 😂

If you get hungry I will buy you a Pizza.

My System: Intel 9700K 4.7Gz, ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHZ, Evga 3070TI  8GB, Noctua NH-D15S, Gigabyte 27" Monitor, Windows 10 64bit, 2xSamsung 500GB SSD, 1x Samsung 120GB, 1x Samsung 970, 1TB, 1TB H/D for Storage.

Helmut Berger

16 hours ago, jbcallender said:

Jeff Callender

What was your performance with the 2080ti?  I wouldn't think it would have improved too much over the 1080.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

8700k here OCed to 4.8 Ghz paired with a foundered edition 1080ti running 4k.

As long I don't run insane cloud levels with dynamic lighting on...I'm getting mid 30s and up. In some airports, I'm getting 40-50 fps. 

I feel bad for the sucker. He won't see much improvement in performance.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

I tried another approach to increase performance, I replaced my 1tb WD blue hardrive win 10  system with a crucial MX500 500g ssd and my dedicated 2tb seagate Prepar3d drive with a 1tb samsung 860 evo ssd. Frames went from 15-30 to 40-60, best of all no stutters or lag. I only have a gtx 1060. It worked out to be a lot cheaper this way than buying a 2080

Edited by JustanotherPilot

steve southey

18 hours ago, jbcallender said:

I have bought the RTX2080ti, upgrading from a GTX1080.  I have an i7-8700K with SSD's and 16gb. My performance is respectable, but can't break out of the 10 to 20 FPS range.  So I decided to go for it and bought the Gigabit 2080ti Gaming OC vid card.

I have a very similar PC and did the same thing from 1080 to RTX2080ti. it was well worth it and I am extremely happy with the improvements. that said, I think there's something else going on as I was managing 30-40fps with the 1080 and a 2K monitor. (for me, 8GB VRAM was not enough for the textures I wanted to use).
but imo your hardware should do better. 

20 hours ago, jpf said:

I have a very similar PC and did the same thing from 1080 to RTX2080ti. it was well worth it and I am extremely happy with the improvements. that said, I think there's something else going on as I was managing 30-40fps with the 1080 and a 2K monitor. (for me, 8GB VRAM was not enough for the textures I wanted to use).
but imo your hardware should do better. 

I don't understand it, either.  I honestly have lost track of what to tweak or not tweak, so all of the .cfg files are pretty stock.  I'm going to take this opportunity to do a complete reinstall and re-read of Rob's P3D Tweaking guide and Poppet's various instructions.  Looking forward to the result, though!

Jeff Callender

I would look at the OS if you haven't already. making sure you have folders excluded from scanning and ensuring the OS isn't working on something behind the scenes (like file indexing) that will cause contention with P3D.
good luck anyway.