Sign in to follow this  
737Andi

FSLabs airbus ground steering behaviour

Hi,

I have tried several ways of improving the ground steering behaviour of the A319/A320 using different settings of null zones and sensitivities for my tiller hardware (an usb wheel, a joystick and also the normal tiller key programmed by FSLabs).

Unfortunately nothing is satisfying me. When using the tiller the plane is reacting very late to the input (although the null zones are set to small values and the sensitivity is set to maximum values) and when reacting it is always kind of overshooting. I find this behaviour only with my FSLabs airbusses but not with the PMDG and Qualitywings planes.

Was the airbus just programmed this way to simulate a realistic environment or are my settings just bad?

What are your observations in this case?

Thanks!

Best regards

Andreas

I agree...the nosewheel steering response is pretty horrible with most consumer input devices.

See my last post in this thread:  https://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index.php?/topic/14575-tiller-lag-and-overcontrol/&tab=comments#comment-112560

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

As it's implemented as in real-life nose-wheel steering, I have no problems steering the nose-wheel as described by FSL on how it's done. Just because developer A does things one way, does not necessarily follow that developer B should follow suit. Almost like saying why don't General Motors build their Oldsmobile cars like Ferrari build theirs!

10 minutes ago, vc10man said:

As it's implemented as in real-life nose-wheel steering, I have no problems steering the nose-wheel as described by FSL on how it's done. Just because developer A does things one way, does not necessarily follow that developer B should follow suit. Almost like saying why don't General Motors build their Oldsmobile cars like Ferrari build theirs!

It'd probably be fine if we all had steering controllers with ~180 deg of travel instead of twist-grip joysticks with maybe 15 deg of travel.  At some point the simulation software has to take into account the environment the simmer is operating in.

I still don't believe that the lag experienced between input and nosewheel movement is realistic, though...I think there'd be Scarebus wheel tracks in the mud off the sides of runways/taxiways all over the world if it really behaved that way IRL.

Regards

• Like 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I use Rudder pedals and find the FSL by far the best and most accurate aircraft to taxi. I only use the "," key with it held down for corners. As long as I take corners at the correct speed 7-8 kts, 5kts if tight, 10 if just a steady bend. 

Straight line I always keep to 15kts. If its IAE I let the speed run up to 20-22 then brake down to 12-13 and repeat. If your taking corners to fast you will get into a mess. Also >20kts in a straight line is not a good idea. Its an aircraft and it's better in the air 🙂 

If like now I do 10-15 flights in the FSL then I find the NG/747 a real mess to taxi. Need to be treated very differently.

Also like a car you need to steer out of the corner to straight. Release the "," before your "straight" and then you can fine turn to place bang on the taxi line. How much before? it's down to "feel" If your steering until the straight line then releasing it's going to end badly.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I too have difficulty w/ ground steering and have tried different settings and suggestions but nothing seems to help.  My biggest issue is that when I turn to the left, the airplane just makes this tight fast turn.  I actually immediately need to tap my right rudder so the airplane doesn't swing so much. 

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

1 hour ago, w6kd said:

twist-grip joysticks

Have exactly the same...........

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

I only use the "," key with it held down for

.................and achieve my turns this way.......and

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

the "," before your "straight"

...........this way too. Q.E.D!

Edited by vc10man

I've mapped a "wheel" on the throttle of my X65 controllers. I'm happy how it works for me. Your mileage may vary....

Dave

I mapped the "," key to the top button on my joy stick and use the rudder pedals to turn. Taken some getting use to but I get better at it every flight.

• Like 1

Richie Walsh

1 hour ago, Irishcurse said:

I mapped the "," key to the top button on my joy stick and use the rudder pedals to turn

I use a similar solution with acceptable results. I still find taxiing in the FSL bus (especially with IAE engines, for obvious reasons) to be quite difficult, but since I love/adore almost everything else about this aircraft, I learned to live with it. 😀

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Rafal said:

taxiing in the FSL bus

Rafal would that by any chance be because of either FSX or P3D's inherent friction problems, i.e. initial thrust required to get rolling along but then the ground friction causing a crawl?

41 minutes ago, vc10man said:

would that by any chance be because of either FSX or P3D's inherent friction problems

I have no idea to be honest, Rick. Simmers over at the FSL forums seem divided. Many complain about the taxi difficulty, but there are some who don't (see David's reply above).
The FSL team claim this taxi behaviour is realistic, which I have no reasons or scientific knowledge to put in doubt.
However how much you can compare the real aircraft's behaviour to the one in a home sim with all its limitations is a good question I don't even dare to answer.

As I am neither in the FSL team nor even in the beta team, I have no insight on the full changelog for the upcoming update.
So I can only hope maybe something has been fine tuned about the ground behaviour. If not though - I will take it as it is.
All in all I am more in the air than on the ground (well, usually, unless I fly EDDF-EDDM for example, lol). 🙂

12 minutes ago, Rafal said:

David's reply

I am in the same boat with David. Never had an issue with the taxi-ing nor nose-wheel steering.

14 minutes ago, Rafal said:

more in the air than on the ground

Precisely same here. I spend 95% of the sim usage time in the air. BTW that EDDM sounds familiar. I bought it recently but have not got the foggiest idea who from, and where I downloaded it to😀🤔

I use the twist function of a T.16000m, which works well.

I think FSL tried to make the steering function as close to the real thing as they could.  

Keep in mind this statement from an Airbus training document:

"Nose wheel steering is "fly by wire" with no mechanical connection between tiller and nose
wheel. The relationship between tiller deflection and nosewheel angle is not linear. Forces
are light and care is necessary to make gentle movements on the tiller to avoid unnecessary
high rate turns. Very tight turns may be made, but over controlling may be noticeable. When
turning at low speed, maintain chosen tiller position and if necessary, accept a tighter turn
radius than intended to achieve a smooth turn. The sensitivity of nosewheel steering
responses to inputs from rudder pedals or hand wheels reduces as speed increases (FCOM
1.32.20."

I usually use the small deflections of the nosewheel that the rudder input gives to maintain the center line and only use the tiller for larger turns. 

Brian

Brian W

KPAE

I'd love to get a good plug and play steering tiller.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU