Sign in to follow this  
ComSimPilot

Best way to connect USB flight controls?

Hi all,

I lately increased the number of flight controls devices that I use, and I would like to avoid plugging - unplugging USB cables, so I want to have them all connected all times. I used to have a PCIe 4-USB card but due to the increased now number of devices and cable restrictions I am thinking to use a single powered 7-port USB 3 HUB. 

But before I invest on a 30$ powered usb 3 hub, I would like to ask you if there is any known problem with plugging all my flight simulator controllers on a single powered usb hub. Also is there any benefit by using PCIe USB adapters instead? For me the hub solution would look better as I can hide it somewhere, and also would be easier to manage the cables so I prefer it. But of course if this means problems with my devices, I would avoid it.

Thank you very much for your time! 

Edited by Daedalus

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

No problem using a powered hub as I do myself with all my GoFlight modules.

But do not buy a USB3 one. It must be USB2. That is extremely important.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I don't know if having 7 active flight sim controllers is a good idea. Errors and conflicts have got to creep into a setup like that.

I have 3 controllers ( one yoke, two joystick) and plug each into the same USB port one at a time as needed. KISS method.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

11 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

Errors and conflicts have got to creep into a setup like that.

I have twelve controllers connected in my sim and it works pretty robustly. I also have a Saitek radio and two Elite AP-4000 radios.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

1 hour ago, flyforever said:

usb3 are backward compatible

Many devices do not like USB3. There is no need for the extra speed over USB2.

It would be helpful if the OP listed what hardware he intends connecting. GoFlight or Saitek radio modules are very different to a joystick or yoke. Be specific please.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

No problem using a powered hub as I do myself with all my GoFlight modules.

or a USB 3.1 compatible HUB.  There was a backwards compatibility issue with USB 3.0 that was corrected in 3.1.

I run two USB 3.1 HUBS with all USB 2.0 compatible devices without issue.

Also... be sure to turn off USB power saving on all your USB Flight Controls.

Edited by DaveCT2003

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

17 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

or a USB 3.1 compatible HUB.  There was a backwards compatibility issue with USB 3.0 that was corrected in 3.1.

I run two USB 3.1 HUBS with all USB 2.0 compatible devices without issue.

If you already have a 3.1 hub then it can be utilised but personally I’d stick to USB2.

The blasted Windows 10 insists turning the power management option back on every so often. I wish I could meet the programmer who thinks that’s a good idea. He would not forget our meeting for a while. 🤨

• Like 3

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Windows has a very difficult time keeping track of devices and usb ports. At times, you may find that some devices are not recognized and you'll receive a "game controller" not recognized error. It's a bit of a hit and miss, and the only way to find out is to try. Keep in mind that each USB device draws some power, so with so many devices you need to be aware of potentially overloading your usb. It's definitely a good idea to have a USB with its own power supply to feed all the additional devices.

Edited by flyforever

8 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I overwhelming disagree, Ray.  All of my USB flight controls and devices are connected to USB 3.0 ports, either on my CPU or on hubs.  I had significant issues with what I perceived was USB 3.0 beginning with Windows 7.  Over time I determined that the issues were 100% due to Windows Advanced Power Management.  Working into Control Panel, Human Interface Devices, identifying the controls, and under advanced properties deselecting power management cured most of my USB flight control issues.  My Saitek USB devices also benefited from small apps that patched Windows Registry values for power management for the Saitek devices.  Those apps can be located with simple web searches.

I am currently Windows 10 and 100% of my USB flight related devices are connected to USB 3.0 ports or hubs and I now have zero issues.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

6 hours ago, fppilot said:

I overwhelming disagree, Ray....My Saitek USB devices also benefited from small apps that patched Windows Registry values for power management for the Saitek devices.  Those apps can be located with simple web searches.

I am currently Windows 10 and 100% of my USB flight related devices are connected to USB 3.0 ports or hubs and I now have zero issues.

My GoFlight modules do not like USB3. I'm speaking purely from personal experience. Let the OP decide. Devices like yoke and pedals may be less fussy but they simply so not need the extra speed of USB3 and compatibility issues can arise.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

10 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

blasted Windows 10 insists turning the power management option back on every so often

As I discovered repeatedly with an Iomega USB HDD that switches on when I have not even initiated it although it is connected to a USB port.

15 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I've heard this for years now and have tried it but I run all my controls through a powered hub and I have the power management on for all USB devices because I struggle from time to time with the PC not going to sleep IAW the windows power settings. I know I can manually put it in sleep mode but it's annoying to me when I walk past the study and my 40" screen is lighting up the room like daylight because the PC won't sleep. I never have any USB control issues using the power management. This is just my experience...

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

1 hour ago, bbuckley said:

I've heard this for years now and have tried it but I run all my controls through a powered hub and I have the power management on for all USB devices because I struggle from time to time with the PC not going to sleep IAW the windows power settings. I know I can manually put it in sleep mode but it's annoying to me when I walk past the study and my 40" screen is lighting up the room like daylight because the PC won't sleep. I never have any USB control issues using the power management. This is just my experience...

Whether or not USB power management becomes a problem depends on how/what you fly...if you fly airliners where you're on autopilot for extended periods and not stimulating the USB port with control inputs, Windows power management detects that the port is not in use and depowers it, and once that happens you're not getting it back during the flight, ruining it.  If you have a noisy pot that occasionally sends spikes, that might have the unintended happy side effect of keeping the port alive, where a good Hall Effect-based controller that doesn't send unwanted inputs will drop dead on you in the same circumstances.  I check that it's turned off after every Windows update, because apparently some treehugging waste of gravity at MS has decided for all the rest of us that saving a hundredth of a watt is so good for the planet that our operational needs aren't important...

w/r/t to backward compatibility, USB 3 is--in theory--backwards compatible with USB2, but i have a lot of experience with programming serial devices in my other hobby (ham radio) that has repeatedly proven that is not always the case.  Many of those problems have been resolved as USB3 matured, but older devices that use older drivers may still have issues with missing/incorrect settings in the registry, and some of those problems persist even after removing and reinstalling the driver and/or device.  I had fits with serial to USB drivers for FTDI chipset-based devices for a long time...if you plugged the device into a USB3 port before first plugging it into a USB2 port in that PC, it required hours of troubleshooting esoteric entries scattered all over the registry to correct.  So I still subscribe to the philosophy of using USB2 hubs connected to USB2 ports for USB2 devices where possible.

Regards

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

7 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Whether or not USB power management becomes a problem depends on how/what you fly...if you fly airliners where you're on autopilot for extended periods and not stimulating the USB port with control inputs, Windows power management detects that the port is not in use and depowers it, and once that happens you're not getting it back during the flight, ruining it. 

That explains my experience, I fly relatively short GA flights with lots of various controls inputs. Thanks! I finally understand this.

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11