Sign in to follow this  
Bt103504

ATC Radio Effect for ATC voices

Greetings all,

I was curious if anyone knew how to apply a radio sound effect or filter to a TTS voice? I use Ivona or Cereproc voices but also have found a few Windows voices and have noticed that something that tends to kill the immersion is that there's not radio effect to the voices. The only ones that do have this effect are the VOXPOP voices which sound a little too robotic for my tastes.

Was just curious if anyone had figured out a way to add this effect to VOXATC?

• Like 1

wouldnt that setup impact any sound coming through your headphones? Including aircraft noises etc?

• Like 1

That's why people tend to send all the external sounds (other aircraft, vehicles, switches, flaps, etc.) to the default sound output (usually external speakers) and only the voices to the communications sound output (usually headphones).  This unfortunately impacts any communications undertaken via your microphone that need to be processed by the system's speech recognition. It gets pretty complicated just trying to eke out a small bit of realism. 

I should add that I stopped doing this, as the other obvious drawback is that the "realistic" tinny and noisy voices tend to be harder to understand.

• Like 1

Great point gentlemen. By all accounts I'm hearing the effort required didn't really translate into a major boost in immersion, lol.

• Like 1

& i would contend that any "radio effect" is only heard from other aircrew not controllers .... modern comms can be tweaked to be quite clear of noise.

• Like 1

for now, cheers

john martin

I have a "hardware" solution to the radio sound effect.  I use (don't laugh John) a sheet of polystyrene foam ( my handle is polymerman) on my earpieces and my mike and it makes the (excuse the expression)the "tinkle" sound of a radio comm.   On the mike i fold a piece and tape with scotch tape.  I adjust the tube so i get the right sound by trial and error, see attached picture.

EQX10n2.jpg

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Polymerman said:

a sheet of polystyrene foam

now that's US ingenuity at its finest :rolleyes: ....... though the foam is probably made in ?

• Like 1

for now, cheers

john martin