Sign in to follow this  
simbol

If you are updating to P3D 4.4

Dear All,

Please be aware we developers have been just advised by Lockheed Martin that both the Client + Content update of 4.4 is required in order to allow PBR content to be displayed correctly.

If you install only the client, some PBR content with metal materials can be displayed black / incorrectly.

For this reason please be sure that when you upgrade P3D 4.4 you update both the client + content in order to take full advantage of PBR.

All the best,
Simbol

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for sharing this info. I wonder if my question regarding this exact topic yesterday in the LM forums had anything to do with LM sending out this information to developers? ;-)

https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6322&t=132815

Edited by AnkH

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

15 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Thanks for sharing this info. I wonder if my question regarding this exact topic yesterday in the LM forums had anything to do with it? 😉

https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6322&t=132815

The advise was the result of some beta tests performed by multiple P3D developers and sharing their results with Lockheed Martin via internal forums.

Can't disclose more due to NDAs.

Regards

Simbol 

Edited by simbol

I discovered this after purchasing and installing Digital Design EGGP Liverpool. I was using P3D v4.3 at that stage, so I updated the Client to v4.4......but discovered that there were still significant problems until I updated the Content aswell.

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Ever since v4 came out I've been only updating the client, I don't think I've ever uninstall and installed the content. Should I expect any potential complications?

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

8 hours ago, simbol said:

Dear All,

Please be aware we developers have been just advised by Lockheed Martin that both the Client + Content update of 4.4 is required in order to allow PBR content to be displayed correctly.

If you install only the client, some PBR content with metal materials can be displayed black / incorrectly.

For this reason please be sure that when you upgrade P3D 4.4 you update both the client + content in order to take full advantage of PBR.

All the best,
Simbol

Thanks what does the content installation impact? What should I be reinstalling after a content upgrade? I pretty much have all major add-ons.

Thanks!

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

Updating the content is as painless as updating the client. I've always looked at it as not actually updating the sim unless you are doing at least those two. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I had to run FTX Central again to get the autogen trees back in Scotland (PlayHorizon VFR Photographic Scenery), and I also had to replace the default ATC sound file with a backup copy of my modified version (lots of additions and alterations via EditVoicePack X). There may have been one or two other adjustments, but I can't remember for certain.....

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

16 hours ago, simbol said:

Dear All,

All the best,
Simbol

So we need three files?

cont1.cab

cont2.cab

install_content.msi

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

9 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

So we need three files?

cont1.cab

cont2.cab

install_content.msi

here is  a  complete  guide  on  to  upgrade  to  v4

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6322&t=120861

Elaine has  spent  a lot of  time  of making  this  and  has  made  a  utube  on  how  to  as well

Edited by pete_auau
  • Like 2

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

So we need three files?

cont1.cab

cont2.cab

install_content.msi

Yes, that is correct.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png