Jackaroo05

What features would you like to see in P3Dv5?

7 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

I think a look-ahead algorithm, running in a separate thread (using different cores) would be more productive.

Yes -- this would be huge.  

I'm sure the sim does some of that now, but, I think there could be improvements where the main thread maxes 100%, particularly in areas with lots of autogen objects.   Right now, hitting 100% on the main thread risks a stutter, where, in fact, it would be ideal if that excess were pushed off to another core, rather than WAIT until the overhead is available on the main thread.

I bet it is no simple task though.  When I took my programming classes, there was no internet, and multithreading was that ugly sweater you got for Christmas.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

8 minutes ago, Mace said:

When I took my programming classes, there was no internet, and multithreading was that ugly sweater you got for Christmas.

Programming classes? In 1963, when I started, you taught yourself. And I started with 0's and 1's actually making bootstraps on paper tape with a Unipunch (yes, it's as it sounds -- one hole at a time). That was at Leo Computers (LEO = Lyons (bakery) Electronic Office) in North Acton.

Ah, kids today. They don't know what it was like! 😃😉

Pete

P.S. Oh, I do feel old ...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

P.S. Oh, I do feel old ...

Not old. Experienced !!

Jesse

Posted (edited)

Forget all the eye candy stuff, like a new graphics engine, terrain engine or sloped runways. I have two much more important suggestions! 

1. The ability to design airports (runways, taxiways, ramps, parking spots) in the sim graphically. Instead of having to use an external program to match the graphic design of a scenery and then having to reload the sim after every change to see what has been implemented.
    This would make both payware and freeware scenery design much faster and more accurate.

2. The linking of an aircraft 'title' to the atc_model=, atc_airline=, atc_parking_codes=, atc_type=, wing_span= and correct strobe fx in aircraft.cfg.
    Listing "American Airlines 737-800" in an aircraft title should be enough to drive all of this information from a set list (amendable) in a single source file that comes in the main Prepar3D folder.

Everything is far too manual and labour intensive at the moment. We are highly dependent on community updates from people being very generous with their time or spending hours ourselves making minor changes instead of flying.

Can you tell that I'm frustrated with errors and having to change parking spots, other airport information, user and AI aircraft details to get a sim experience that some developers should have gotten right in the beginning? 

Rant over. :smile:

Edited by F737NG

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

If that suits your type of flying then fine. I fly IFR with jets so they're of no interest to me. Even if the hump was reproduced at EGCC it's unlikely to excite me. But if you're a VFR flyer and enjoy that kind of thing that's fine.

I do most of my flying IFR in jets too. Though the Falcon 50 is one of those jets, and it can easily get in and out of some of those sine-wave runways.

But even though I only dabble in bush/VFR flying occasionally, I absolutely want the people that do it a lot to be happy. It takes all simmer interests to make P3d worthwhile for LM to keep developing it. If all the VFR guys go over to Xplane because, let's be honest, it's pretty good at the VFR game, then that's gonna be a significant chunk of change that isn't going into LM's pockets anymore.

And I've given up entirely on the idea that Xplane will ever be really robust in the kind of flying I like to do, so I'm very supportive of P3d being fun for all flying interests so that it continues to be available for mine.

Edited by eslader

As for taking LM FS to the next level, I would suggest:

Step one would be re-organizing the existing executable into multiple plug-and-play software modules that have a well defined user interface for communicating between them.

Then, work on one module a time (because doing it all in one big-bang approach could take years and get really confusing quick from an engineering perspective).  Separate the render engine, the terrain engine, the atmosphere engine, the flight modeling engine, AI engine, flight dynamics engine, etc. and then work on revamping each of them one step at a time.   Instead of throwing everything away and spending years rebuilding from scratch, it could be done in manageable phases.

But it all starts by carving up the existing MSFS code in modules that can be invoked, inserted, removed, and replaced with minimal impact to other modules.

Mark

On 5/20/2019 at 9:08 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

64-bit was massive and I don't think we'll ever have such a gigantic improvement again.

So you don't think we'll be saying, "This 128 bit version of P3D is the cat's meow." somewhere around 2030?

On 5/21/2019 at 3:38 AM, Pete Dowson said:

BGLs are programs written in "Bruce's Graphical Language!"

Thanks for the trivia 😄

7 hours ago, MDFlier said:

So you don't think we'll be saying, "This 128 bit version of P3D is the cat's meow." somewhere around 2030?

Do you know how much memory can be utilised by a 64-bit program? Up to 8Tb. I very much doubt we'll get anywhere near that limit in the next 30 years let alone in the next 11.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Do you know how much memory can be utilised by a 64-bit program? Up to 8Tb. I very much doubt we'll get anywhere near that limit in the next 30 years let alone in the next 11.

Actually I use in memory databases at work where everything is loaded into RAM for high speed access.

Our test database uses 1Tb to hold just test data while the production servers are using now near 5Tb of RAM.

Regards 

Simbol 

If 32GB is considered to be the top end of the RAM pile in home PCs (possibly a conservative estimate), then think about how much memory was in PCs way back in 1989. I suspect it was about 1MB. That is an increase of over 30,000 times! If the same increase happens between now and 2049, then we will have Skynet with 1000TB of RAM!!

11 minutes ago, simbol said:

Actually I use in memory databases at work where everything is loaded into RAM for high speed access.

Our test database uses 1Tb to hold just test data while the production servers are using now near 5Tb of RAM.

Regards 

Simbol 

But is that related to flight sim? I suspect not. What is the most memory demanding airport currently available for P3D v4? It would be interesting to know.

4 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

But is that related to flight sim? I suspect not. What is the most memory demanding airport currently available for P3D v4? It would be interesting to know.

You said by a single 64bits program.. The ram software is 64bits and it is only limited by your hardware physical RAM.

S.

8 minutes ago, simbol said:

You said by a single 64bits program.. The ram software is 64bits and it is only limited by your hardware physical RAM.

S.

I understand that. I’m hoping someone answers my question as it will be interesting to know how far away from needing a 128-bit OS and P3D we are. Not in my lifetime I suspect.

“ Santa , plse gimme 2 cores for the main thread and I’ll be a good boy ..” 🎅

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

think about how much memory was in PCs way back in 1989. I suspect it was about 1MB.

My first "PC" (before they were called that -- it was coined by IBM and they came in late) had 8kb! It was the first Commodore Pet. And I established my software business on a word processor written for it.

That was the version with a calculator-style keyboard and a front mounted cassette drive.  About a year later a 32kb version with a proper keyboard appeared. That was when things really took off.  I left employment (with ICL) when the income from my Word Processor ("WordCraft") exceeded that from ICL. That would be in 1979.

Other companies soon joined in the PC market, with IBM actually quite a latecomer.

I can't remember, though, when we started talking in Megabytes!

Pete

You took the words right out of my mouth, Pete. We had that conversation back when 512k was a lot of memory and we were pondering what life would be like when we got to MB. 

I feel a “four Yorkshireman” sketch brewing here. “Eight kilobytes??? Luxury!!! We used to dream of eight kilobytes!!!” 😁 For the benefit of those who haven’t a clue what I’m talking about... 

8 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

If 32GB is considered to be the top end of the RAM pile in home PCs (possibly a conservative estimate), then think about how much memory was in PCs way back in 1989. I suspect it was about 1MB. That is an increase of over 30,000 times! If the same increase happens between now and 2049, then we will have Skynet with 1000TB of RAM!!

My 1991 386SX/20 had 256K.   1MB was a dream.

My Apple //e circa 1984 had I think, 32k of ram.  I can't quite remember.

Posted (edited)

My 1988 Commodore Amiga 500 had 512k RAM, so I suspect that something, somewhere had 1MB in 1989. My first PC (a 386SX25) had 1MB RAM in January 1992, but I was at the low end of the power curve at that time.

Edited by Christopher Low

Posted (edited)

XP like Night lighting

FSX water.

Backward compatible as much as possible... 

🙂

Manny

Edited by Manny

No wonder my 386 took so long to load things.

I remember when I was at school (we were the first school year to do Computer Studies) in the early 80's, I had a BBC model B with 32 kb of RAM (the model A had 16kb), the Maths teacher who was the only teacher that could program and therefore teach Computer Studies was so jealous of me because at first we only had a Commadore Pet computer like Pete had, while my computer had "modern graphics" etc. This is when I was introduced to the world of flight simulation with the BBC program Aviator. http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/21325/Aviator (disk)/

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2019 at 11:49 AM, B777ER said:

This TrueSky.  It was in the Dovetail FSW Simulator correct?   It's too bad that FSW got canceled.  I was really looking forward to the completion but sadly it fell through.  Still have it installed in my PC, don't know why......I don't touch it anymore.......Wondering if FSW can still be salvage by another developer?..No?

Edited by egguzman

7 hours ago, Mace said:

My Apple //e circa 1984 had I think, 32k of ram.  I can't quite remember.

I remember getting the 512k ram expansion card for my Apple IIGS so I could load programs onto a ram disk instead of accessing them off of the floppies. 

That was also the first computer I used a flight simulator on, unless you count River Raid on the Atari 2600. 😉