Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

WF Scenery Studios

Hello all,

Since a while I've gotten quite interested in flying around East Asia, as it's the kind of environment where widebodies see a lot of usage owing to the short-to-medium haul routes between major cities (think Hong Kong, Shanghai, taiwan, Seoul, etc). I recently noticed WF Scenery Studios, who have made several big Chinese airports, are having a 25% off sale. I was wondering what people think of the quality of their sceneries? I realize Beijing was recently released by A_A as well - any opinions on whether to wait for A_A to have a sale as opposed to buying WFSS's rendition now?

Any opinion very much appreciated!

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

8 hours ago, Benjamin J said:

Hello all,

Since a while I've gotten quite interested in flying around East Asia, as it's the kind of environment where widebodies see a lot of usage owing to the short-to-medium haul routes between major cities (think Hong Kong, Shanghai, taiwan, Seoul, etc). I recently noticed WF Scenery Studios, who have made several big Chinese airports, are having a 25% off sale. I was wondering what people think of the quality of their sceneries? I realize Beijing was recently released by A_A as well - any opinions on whether to wait for A_A to have a sale as opposed to buying WFSS's rendition now?

Any opinion very much appreciated!

Hi Ben

As an owner of WF's Hongqiao (ZSSS) scenery I can confirm it is a very high-quality scenery with all the bells and whistles one expects with scenery these days (SODE support etc.) WF seem to be top notch devs. Makes me consider whether to buy more of their products now there's a sale!

Thanks,

Martin

Edited by SimeonWilbury

PUT In the UK.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x & Radeon RX570 8GB. Prepar3Dv5.3 @1080p

spacer.png

Great post, Benjamin, as I too have been following your Far East quest as well and waiting for feedback to pull the trigger as I have had my fill of flying around Europe/USA, etc. That feedback from Simeon is just the fillip required.

I'm also a fan of flying heavies on short to medium haul trips around the Pacific.  I have most of the big sceneries, including Beijing, which good.  Some sceneries are better than others, but they really add a lot of life to the region, and I wouldn't hesitate getting any of them.  PS, my favorite is Manila.  Beautifully done.

Edited by dal330200

Thanks for the feedback! I might just get Hongqiao... Will have a look in Flightradar to see what's coming into some of the other ones. If I do get it, it would give me reason to get Beijing as well, as that city pair is not a long flight (1:30-2 hours) and is flown nearly exclusively with A333, B747, B773, etc... Which is exactly what I was going for. I'll probably post back when I get them to let you know what I think of them.

Also, for those interested PacSim had a small update on RKSI on their Facebook page, stating that it's nearing release! Can't wait, it looks amazing...

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I have Xi’an ZLXY and just bought Beijing ZBAA with the discount. Both work well with dynamic lighting and SODE jetways. Also minimal impact on FPS. Had some texture issue initially with ZBAA when panning but all sorted after a search - had to disable a file in orbx vector which was causing trouble. 

For the price it is very reasonable I think

Edited by silentghostx

Chen Chen

MSFS: FENIX A320 / PMDG 737 / FBW A32NX / WT 787-10

NZAA 

So I ended up getting Xi'an ZLXY, Shanghai ZSSS and Beijing ZBAA. Overall they look pretty good - not really 'up there', so to speak, but pretty decent. There are some annoyances with them, number one being the AFCAD. For some reason they made a lot of the ramps military rather than normal, and this appears to be messing up with the parking assignments of the AI. At ZBAA I see all my FedEx aircraft hanging around the pax terminal rather than the cargo ramp.

Frankly, I'm glad I got them on sale. For the price paid I think it's very nice, but I'm not sure they are quite good enough to go for their list price.

Benjamin van Soldt

Yes, Beijing can give some headaches. It took me quite some time to find the conflicting BGL in ORBX Vector. Make sure do deactivate 7917_OBJ_TrafficLights.bgl in the FTX_VECTOR_OBJ folder. To make it even more interesting there is also a conflict between the FSPXAI A380 payware model and the ground poly. This problem can be solved with a few AFCAD tweaks (removing all draw flags etc.).

The AFCAD itself is a bit buggy and lacks hold short points, which will result in arriving aircraft using already occupied parking positions. I spent hours to tweak my file for ZBAA and adjusted codes, types (GATE), and radius. Sent me a PM if you are interested in the AFCAD file.

However, as you said, WF is delivering good quality and worth to get during a sale. Their next project is Kunming and Wuhan is also planned. Very much looking forward to both of them.

If now only ORBX would speed up their OpenLC production. Their project management for the OLC product line (putting OLC Africa on the back burner in favor of X-Plane) was questionable and I am afraid we will not see the two Asia parts in the next 12-18 months.

Christoph

Edited by Wolkenschreck

Best,
Christoph

Display resolution: 1920x1080 (8xSSAA)    GPU: 1080TI     CPU: i7-7700K (5.0 OC)    RAM: 16GB     SSD: Samsung 850Evo     Monitor: 27K

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thanks Christoph, I sent you a PM!

By the way, there exists a stunning freeware scenery of Kunming. If you're interested I can have a look and try to see where I found it... It's been a while. Of course it's not P3Dv4, rather an older FSX scenery. But for me it has been working without issue.

Benjamin van Soldt

I can not recommend  W-F ZBAA due to low quality (my opinion) but I can recommend Bridge ZUUU because of high quality (my opinion).

Edited by Wennerholm

On 3/10/2019 at 3:14 PM, Benjamin J said:

So I ended up getting Xi'an ZLXY, Shanghai ZSSS and Beijing ZBAA. Overall they look pretty good - not really 'up there', so to speak, but pretty decent. There are some annoyances with them, number one being the AFCAD. For some reason they made a lot of the ramps military rather than normal, and this appears to be messing up with the parking assignments of the AI. At ZBAA I see all my FedEx aircraft hanging around the pax terminal rather than the cargo ramp.

Frankly, I'm glad I got them on sale. For the price paid I think it's very nice, but I'm not sure they are quite good enough to go for their list price.

I just picked up WF Scenery Studio's ZBAA/Beijing on sale.  Not a bad effort; performance is good for an airport of this size and complexity.

There are a couple things I noticed in addition to the comments above worth mention for those that buy this one:

Their SODE xml file uses nonstandard naming for the gates (e.g. GATE A instead of GATE_A as defined in the airport file, aka ADE/AFCAD), which prevents GSX from detecting and operating the SODE jetways.  A simple global replace from 'GATE ' to 'GATE_' fixed that. 

The ILS approaches to 36L, 36R, and 18L all incorrectly have DME active on the localizer freq in the airport file...those runways have split navaid approaches using another VOR/DME station for DME information (either SZY or HUR).  Also, the airport file was a bit challenging to locate...it's named ZBAA_P4.bgl

All of these problems are easily correctable...I have made the developer aware of them, so maybe they'll publish an update.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks for the info Bob!

regards, Andy

MSFS/P3Dv4.5/| i7 9700K @5.0 | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F |32GB3200C16 | ASUS 2080Ti OC connected to 3 x LG 27" monitors 5780x1080 | EVO 970 2TB M2 for sim, EVO PLUS 970 500GB M2 for W10pro64bit | VirtualFly YOKO & TQ6 |  MFG crosswinds | T16000M |

I purchased the ZBAA and ZHCC. In ZHCC if your scenery density is high you see default buildings appearing. A VOR station on 12R runway at ZHCC. No response from the developer and I fixed it myself in ADE. Developers should spend more time getting the afcad right, it is a large part of the atmosphere of each airport especially if you run AI traffic.

On the naming gates as military that is an old trick unnecessary if you have GSX to disable ground handling default vehicles. GSX will disable them on install already.

Edited by Boeing or not going