Sign in to follow this  
roundsaturn

Speed, Flaps, ILS Landings, GPS in FSX-SE

Hi guys,

a few questions today for the experts;

#1) In general, when slowing down a commercial jet like a 737-500 or similar, if the nose wants to point up too far or unrealistically, would this mean that you need more flaps?

I find that sometimes when on approach (localizer and G/S captured and lined up nicely) the plane wants to go nose up in unrealistic fashion. At other times I have no problem. Admittedly I am jumping around

flying different freeware 737's, 757's and regional jets (CRJ's/Embraer's).

#2) Example of typical approach I am making, please add your two cents to what you would do differently;

Going KONT to KLAS, I use the GPS to navigate. As I get the morse code about 25 miles out I am at 6,000 feet and switch over to Nav mode from GPS. The plane lines up perfectly with the runway and I also capture the G/S

around 20 miles out. At 15 miles out I slow down to 200 and then continue to slow down (as I increase flaps and drop the gear) aiming to be around 140 upon landing. As I reach the 500/400 feet above the runway I kill the A/T and AP and

switch over to VC view and land her....At other times I find the plane wants to go nose up if I am configured too far ahead of the game...it's hit and miss, so I am trying to figure out if it's my screwed-up procedures or the different software/planes causing the nose up problem.

#3) What is the difference when using the GPS between hitting "Activate Vectors to Final" and "Activate Approach"?

#4) Lastly, a friend asked me if it's possible to use the GPS to line you up with the runway regardless of the runways orientation to your planes current position to the airport. Example; let's say we fly KONT to KLAS, we obviously will be approaching the airport from the west, so landing on runway 1L or 1R is fairly straightforward. However, If we wanted to turn right, go down past the airport, make a U turn and land on runway 26R would the GPS do this? I am sure this is basic for you guys, we are just trying to learn, thanks for the patience.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.....

First point as to the nose going up,,,,,means that you are too slow and about to stall.  Less flaps and step harder on your gas pedal!

Point 2...6,000 is a little high.  maybe 3,600 feet might be better and 180-185 knots. 135-138knots is about right for landing.  No full flaps on the longer runways...30 degrees is more than plenty.  Be sure to set auto-spoilers.

I'll let others respond to your last 2 points.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

The primary issue you will have with your "GPS" approach is that your probably using only what you have available in the Sim basic unit.  For you flight you would want to have the appropriate Approach loaded.....That way you would go via the STAR (Standard Terminal Arrival) which would bring you around on the the correct path to connect to the Approach.  For a "GPS" approach this would be the RNAV or RNP(Airliners with approved systems).

The nice pay-ware products support these elements....Which also includes the ability for the APP mode on the GPS to have Vertical Navigation and Fly the full approach all the way down to minimums.

You would be best to learn how to read an approach plate since you could overcome some of the lack of proper systems and just program the way points that would match the STARS and Approaches as close as possible.

Also you will be able to see how your also supposed to also fly the ILS Approaches you will get the proper method of lowering your Altitude to the proper levels and then capturing the GS from below.

As for your Nose Pitching up -- This is due to trading speed for Altitude......When your tracking the ILS GS you need "lift" to stay on it.  If you don't have enough Flaps for your low speed you will pitch up....If you have too much Flap or Power in you will NOSE over to track it down too far and now your speed will increase too much.....On an Approach you fly the speed 🙂  Get the speed locked in and then you use adjustments in Power to keep the GS while keeping the speed locked in.

You should be configured -- Flaps,Gear and Speed before the FAF (Final Approach Fix)....That way your making small adjustments to keep that Speed locked...Did I mention it is all about that speed 🙂

In a 737-800 with Approach Flaps set to 30 your going to be looking for a Vref of about 150...So you fly 155 till your over the fence and then adjust back as you move down to the flare....Note that depending on the wind you "add" the gust factor to your speed....That way when the gusts drop your IAS does not drop below your Vref of 150 and end up with the nose pitching up and entering into the situation you describe.

Les O'Reilly