Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

(A2A) B-17G Chuckie

All aircraft have a life much as humans - with roles and responsibilities, good times and bad times, incidents and accidents etc. Here is (good old) B-17G Flying Fortress (S/N #44-8543) nicknamed "Chuckie" being re-visited here via a test-flight in the virtual skies. B-17, being one of the most beautiful bombers ever created (feels strange to say: "beauty" and "bomber" in the same sentence, but it's indeed appropriate for B-17!), there are probably multiple postings of this famous aircraft in the various forums, but, I guess, things of beauty (especially those held in high regard) can be surely enjoyed again without loss of charm. I found this (A2A) gem lying un-used in my archive since many years ago, so I thought I would re-install it and take it out to the sky for one more time.

Specifically, regarding Chuckie: It is a WWII veteran, having flown as a bombing pathfinder aircraft in Europe. It was then delivered to the All Weather Flying Center Clinton (OH) in 1944; being part of the first-responder weather hunters who put their lives on the line to gather data on the life cycle of thunderstorms. It served in various other weather recon/electronic countermeasures activities, and was later assigned to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) duties. It was released from USAF in 1959, and, then, I was surprised by this fact: served as "crop-duster" at Fort Worth, TX (I will now keep in mind that my personal crop-duster, Alabeo Pawnee, has a (big brother) - a WWII Bomber - who also served in the same role! Cannot imagine this being used as a "crop-duster" though!). Currently, this aircraft has been (deservedly) restored and rested at the Vintage Flying Museum, located at Meacham Field, Fort Worth (TX), as Chuckie, and is being displayed around the country as a centerpiece attraction of WWII hangar.

Now, a bit about the illustrious B-17 aircraft, in general, one of the best Bombers that was ever built (variants: Prototypes YB plus B/C/D/E/F/G/H). First of all, it is to be noted that it was not Boeing alone that produced all the B-17s. In an un-usual strategic collaboration (guided by national interest), Lockheed/Vega Corporation, a traditional Boeing rival in aircraft manufacture, built nearly 6000 units of B-17 (out of the total of >12000) in its own California plant - making the B-17 the third-most produced bomber of all time, behind the four-engined B-24 and the twin-engined Ju-88. But the B-17 almost happened to get wiped out before it was born. The Boeing B-17 prototype (Model 299/XB-17) had crashed caused by taking off with the controls still locked, and B-17 was therefore eliminated from the initial consideration. Nonetheless, its remarkable superiority was further evaluated by the air corps, and it subsequently emerged back as the leader of the competition. Just days before its successful maiden flight, on July 28 (1935), a Seattle reporter, Richard Williams, spellbound by its sight, came up with the name "Flying Fortress", and the fitting name stuck - to be engraved on the front cockpit of each B-17, including this A2A model. The many heavy machine guns that bristled from the front, back, top, bottom and sides of the plane (please see images below) probably prompted this thought in Richard's mind. In WWII, of the nearly 1.5 million bombs dropped by U.S. aircraft , 0.64 million was dropped by the B-17s alone! The recorded heroics in WWII history of the day-light dog-fights between the bulky (but tough) B-17s and the fast and agile Focke-Wulfs are legendary. "The plane can be cut and slashed almost to pieces by enemy fire and still bring its crew safely home." - it was said by the B-17 pilots.

Well, it's now time to get back to my (peaceful) adventure and post - with the Chuckie. I'm flying it over the beautiful Orbx(NZ) scenery. Both NZ (North & South), even though geographically small, never stop to amaze me in terms of their variety in scenery and landscape - whether you explore the coastlines or the interiors! This flight is from NZQN (Queenstown) to NZDN (Dunedin) in NZ-SI. Hope you enjoy these sights (one more time) of the magnificent B-17, one of the most iconic/historic aircraft that was ever built on the U.S. soil. [Orbx(NZSI)/A2A(B17G)/REX]

EO54JW.png

my4LBJ.png

Xmoacj.png

iyHmLW.png

bcWgls.png

qmH5xI.png

TYQeZv.png

gMU2d0.png

K5I9GB.png

uG4GVv.png

NlRHaZ.png

RLJitL.png

JJ7DTJ.png

zebiRM.png

TrHeSJ.png

snnKWd.png

3UX0cU.png

kjj2YX.png

GrS3Jo.png

EAzFvg.png

Edited by P_7878
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Absolutely marvellous shots, P_7878

• Like 1

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Fantastic as usual, P_7878. Have that same A2A plane but not sure if it'd work in P3Dv4.

• Like 1

Bernd and Rick: Thanks for the kind words.

Rick: I could not tell, but A2A does not list it under P3D at all. You may still like to consult with Alan (Chock) about it. If anyone has experimented with such legacy aircraft, on both FSX/P3D, it would be him - unless he sees and comments on your inquiry here. BTW, Hope, you're enjoying the Catalina on P3DV4...

10 hours ago, vc10man said:

Have that same A2A plane but not sure if it'd work in P3Dv4.

Rick, it works in P3D v4 without any problems 

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

For me, this series causes different feelings. Fleets of B-17 (and Lancasters) devastated my home town 74 years ago. However, they didn't start the war; and imagine they wouldn't have done their duty... so I'm glad history went as it went. These pictures are a great tribute to a great plane and its brave crews!

• Like 1

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

5 hours ago, P_7878 said:

BTW, Hope, you're enjoying the Catalina on P3DV4...

Need to parley with you by PM and pick your brains, one day. Have it installed in P3Dv4 and through my Aerosoft account got it updated to P3Dv4.

Keep meaning to but am having so much fun, and repeated practice mastering the FSL A3xxx, and now the Majestic Dash Q8-400, then flitting back to the PMDG 737NGX, and onto the latest updated PMDG 747-8i, having just landed into a snowbound Calgary(default) as I do not know of a developer's CYYC,in a Lufthansa new livery.

12 minutes ago, bernd1151 said:

Rick, it works in P3D v4 without any problems

Thanks for that heads-up. Will check. Somehow, for whatever reason, seems to have abandoned A2A when I have a few of their products..

"....repeated practice mastering the FSL A3xxx, and now the Majestic Dash Q8-400, then flitting back to the PMDG 737NGX, and onto the latest updated PMDG 747-8i,..."

That's surely a handful combo to juggle, Rick...🙂...No shortcuts (allowed) there...Anyway, no hurry to get to Catalina...take your time...and enjoy meanwhile...