Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

Extended night lights are here, finally.

7 hours ago, anitelite said:

I must have missed a memo.....I downloaded the Texas folder just to try.  Extracted and installed the folder per instructions.  But I see no difference between the prior default lighting and this "enhancement" .  Is there some other step I'm supposed to take to make this work ?

Jim

Did you mind the scenery order in the scenery_packs.ini file?

Edited by Colonel X

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Ok....so I'm pretty sure now that this is a scenery order issue..  However, I don't understand where the directory should reside.  I got the custom scenery part, but everything I have is default.  I don't show any airports in the custom scenery folder other than global airports.  Should the directory be placed under the global airport folder?

On 3/18/2019 at 9:53 PM, anitelite said:

Ok....so I'm pretty sure now that this is a scenery order issue..  However, I don't understand where the directory should reside.  I got the custom scenery part, but everything I have is default.  I don't show any airports in the custom scenery folder other than global airports.  Should the directory be placed under the global airport folder?

I have mine just under KSEA demo area and it works fine.  We're speaking of the scenery_packs.ini file, not the folders in your directory.  

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I had no challenges installing, just dropped the files into my custom scenery folder.  Immediate lights are much the same, it is only distant textures that have a subtle lighting change but the transition is obvious.  Still sets the mood for nice night flights though...

John

Love this mod, makes night flying much more immersive now that the lights extend far out to the horizon! I've switched back to XP11 and don't think I'll be coming back to P3D. So many good things are finally coming out for X-Plane now!

It's easy to install this, just drop the folder into your custom scenery and make sure you have it under your global airports but above your other stuff like mesh and overlays. Trust me, you will definitely see a difference.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Thanks guys.....I finally got it sorted out in my brain and re-installed correctly with the scenery_packs.ini in the correct sequence and it works.  What a fantastic change.  I do wish, though, that the main downtown lighting was a little stronger.  But overall what a great change. 

Would i be correct in thinking that Orbx Trueearth UK already has extended night lighting, so i dont require this for the UK?

Thanks

4 hours ago, KTFO said:

Would i be correct in thinking that Orbx Trueearth UK already has extended night lighting, so i dont require this for the UK?

No, you don't need this for TrueEarth UK.

Is it compatible with photo tiles like those made by Ortho4XP?

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

On 3/9/2019 at 10:03 AM, Murmur said:

X-Plane is that thing where Ben and Austin explain for years why some feature is not feasible because it would require too much time, too much money, too much performance degradation, until some day a single developer publishes that very feature freeware and with no performance impact. 😁

To be fair, it's a lot easier to accomplish something when you're only focused on one, very narrow task and can devote 100% of your resources to it.  Austin and Ben, on the other hand, are maintaining the entirety of X-Plane and not just a single, isolated feature, so their priorities and resource utilization is completely different.  Furthermore, it's not uncommon for freeware to violate "best practices" as far as commercial software and professional coding is concerned, so certain solutions may simply not be available to the good folks at Laminar.

But still, when someone manages something like this, I always hope that it's eventually "stolen", cleaned up, and rolled into an official release.

Edited by Mountain Man
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/26/2019 at 12:54 PM, FlyIce said:

Is it compatible with photo tiles like those made by Ortho4XP?

yes

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Wow, that's great news. Sadly haven't got time to fly XP for quite a while now. Hope to find time to enjoy it soon. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Just installed and tested with Portugal and Spain. 

Very Good !

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

On 3/18/2019 at 9:53 PM, anitelite said:

Same problem but I cannot seem to place the files where I want them and they just place themselves. In other words the scenery list is not editable. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Each folder with specific ( country ) night lights should be placed inside the "Custom Scenery" folder.

Then, edit "scenery_packs.ini",  making sure X-Plane 11 is NOT RUNNING and create entries for you night lights after all of the default ones - since you say you do not have any other stuff there, otherwise place it above libraries ( like OpenSceneryX ) and any ortho scenery ( which go to the bottom ).

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...