Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

Extended night lights are here, finally.

By the looks of it, these are just simple World2XPlane packages that add streetlights only around roads. In fact, it's probably already built into any scenery package that uses it already e.g. xEurope2. It's a nice feature to have otherwise to extend the default autogen, but I'm sure LR had a good reason not to have this extended already. They likely come in small country packages because creating one for all of Europe or the US would be quite a painful process

Looks great, thanks for the heads-up

8QfFeuo.jpg

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

21 hours ago, CarlosF said:

I took me 10min to setup and configure, no complaints here and there should be none...really??, having many folders is not an issue now days, we aren't limited to HD space like we used to.

Awesome mod indeed!!!

Agreed, and freeware!

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

20 hours ago, tonywob said:

By the looks of it, these are just simple World2XPlane packages that add streetlights only around roads. In fact, it's probably already built into any scenery package that uses it already e.g. xEurope2. It's a nice feature to have otherwise to extend the default autogen, but I'm sure LR had a good reason not to have this extended already.

Well, one reason might be that it looks artificial and unrealistic, with the lights so bright in the distance. Real night lighting in CAVOK conditions is attenuated with distance (inverse square law), and doesn't look like this. 

Has anyone figured out how to dim the distant lights in this package yet? 

The default XP11 night lighting doesn't look this sexy, and I don't think it's extended this far, even with the recent upgrades. But it does include fall-off with distance, so it looks less like a movie set.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

X-Vision lets you adjust the attentuation of distant lights, but I haven't tested it.

Kind of ironic that after years of not enough lighting, NOW WE HAVE TOO MUCH!!!

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Yes, I think there are specific XP datarefs that determine close/med/distant lights attenuation.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

"X-Plane 11\Resources\bitmaps\world\lites\lightx.txt" contains a section called "lights size and decay". The line "LIGHT_PARAMS" is commented out, but looks like a global setting that controls light attenuation. Might be worth playing with.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

13 hours ago, Bjoern said:

"X-Plane 11\Resources\bitmaps\world\lites\lightx.txt" contains a section called "lights size and decay". The line "LIGHT_PARAMS" is commented out, but looks like a global setting that controls light attenuation. Might be worth playing with.

I wouldn't mess with that. Install the lights.txt by Tom Knudsen ("TK Light Mod") and lights are fantastic. Then use datarefs, as Murmur stated, or the sliders within X-Vision (a UI for the datarefs) to work out light visibility.

-

1 hour ago, Colonel X said:

I wouldn't mess with that. Install the lights.txt by Tom Knudsen ("TK Light Mod") and lights are fantastic. Then use datarefs, as Murmur stated, or the sliders within X-Vision (a UI for the datarefs) to work out light visibility.

Just be aware, if you mess with the lights in xVision, it overrides the lights.txt thus removing the effect of TK Light.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

13 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

Just be aware, if you mess with the lights in xVision, it overrides the lights.txt thus removing the effect of TK Light.

I am aware of this and usually overwrite the lights.txt after I apply X-Vision. However, it really depends - it only overwrites it if you mess with lights in X-Vision. I always check the change date of the lights.txt file, and often, it's untouched after using X-Vision. 

Let's assume the light attentuation feature within X-Vision connects to X-Plane datarefs (I am not sure as I haven't tested), maybe the lights.txt remains untouched by this setting?

Edited by Colonel X

-

7 hours ago, Colonel X said:

It's a bloody text file that can be replaced by the updater and not a nuclear warhead without a manual.

Edited by Bjoern

4 hours ago, Bjoern said:

It's a bloody text file that can be replaced by the updater and not a nuclear warhead without a manual.

The tricky thing is, a lot of different light parameters are set in that file. Using the TK light mod, autogen lighting is much improved, and I wouldn't want to sacrifice that for another, less important setting (set by X-Vision, for example). Of course it's nothing that could brick the sim (loved your metaphor), but it's easy to overwrite your custom settings.

-

19 hours ago, Colonel X said:

The tricky thing is, a lot of different light parameters are set in that file. Using the TK light mod, autogen lighting is much improved, and I wouldn't want to sacrifice that for another, less important setting (set by X-Vision, for example). Of course it's nothing that could brick the sim (loved your metaphor), but it's easy to overwrite your custom settings.

Then just uncomment the line in Tom's edited file.

I must have missed a memo.....I downloaded the Texas folder just to try.  Extracted and installed the folder per instructions.  But I see no difference between the prior default lighting and this "enhancement" .  Is there some other step I'm supposed to take to make this work ?

Jim