Sign in to follow this  
SkyyStorm

Radar Contact Startup Issue

Hello.

So I recently downloaded the latest freeware version of Radar Contact. I installed it on my Windows 10 system, to use with FSX:SE. 

I installed it in a custom folder, and I installed it as an admin, as well as run it as admin.

However, for some reason, when I run the exe, rcv4.exe, directly from the folder even, it simply closes almost immediately. Before I see any window or any application context, it just closes. I checked on task manager, and it basically starts and stops immediately. 

I've tried many of the suggested fixes for other issues in the hopes that something works, but can't find someone having this issue where it doesn't even run the application. i also excluded the folder from my AV. I've tried running it before FSX is open, after it is open, with nothing open, no dice.

System: Win 10, FSX:SE, RC version 4.3.0.3845.

Any advise on what I can check or an existing help thread with my issue would be appreciated. 

Thanks. 

That's a tricky one. What is the custom folder? Something like C:\RC4 is recommended.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Although there are others far more knowledgeable than I am, my first thought is that your download has been corrupted in some way.

The check sum for the RC4 exe file from my installation is EC942A3D27337A841E3520858050509A.

This is from the new freeware download that I was testing (and it works 100%).

BTW you have generated the key successfully?

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

21 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

That's a tricky one. What is the custom folder? Something like C:\RC4 is recommended.

I will try that next. Currently I use G:\FSXRadarContact\

23 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

Although there are others far more knowledgeable than I am, my first thought is that your download has been corrupted in some way.

The check sum for the RC4 exe file from my installation is EC942A3D27337A841E3520858050509A.

This is from the new freeware download that I was testing (and it works 100%).

BTW you have generated the key successfully?

How do I check the checksum? 

Also, I haven't even gotten to the key yet, I first just want to get it to run :S

I'll redownload the install file too, just to be sure.

If it won’t even stay open for the registration process Ian is right. Download again.

Is G a permanent hard drive? Not a external HDD for example?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Yes, checksums can be tricky.

Try this: the size of my RCv4.exe is 3031305 bytes.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

I reported exactly the same problem in October:

The new download executed perfectly in W7 but not in W10.
The path is not the problem, nor the download. What is the problem I didn't find out.
It seems to be a "singularity" in W10.
I contacted Doug Thompson at dthompss@comcast.net but he couldn't help.
Meanwhile I am running P3Dv4 on W7. Everything is perfect including RC4.

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

RC relies on VB runtime files. We know RC4 will run on some W10 installs so it is compatible. You could try the VB Runtime installer here. https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=24417

Although Doug is helpful I would write to John Dekker at jd@jdtllc.com as he’s the programmer if the above doesn’t work.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I know RC4 runs OK on almost all W10 systems, but from time to time a few people show up with this problem.
So far I haven't heard of any solution. Let me know if there is any.
I also contacted John, his last message was "Don’t know how to troubleshoot it, if it never starts."

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

5 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

If it won’t even stay open for the registration process Ian is right. Download again.

Is G a permanent hard drive? Not a external HDD for example?

G is a permanent drive. 

5 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

Yes, checksums can be tricky.

Try this: the size of my RCv4.exe is 3031305 bytes.

My exe is that size exactly yes.

3 hours ago, agutz said:

I reported exactly the same problem in October:

The new download executed perfectly in W7 but not in W10.
The path is not the problem, nor the download. What is the problem I didn't find out.
It seems to be a "singularity" in W10.
I contacted Doug Thompson at dthompss@comcast.net but he couldn't help.
Meanwhile I am running P3Dv4 on W7. Everything is perfect including RC4.

I have that exact issue yes, the mouse cursor spins for a moment, the application shows in task manager, then closes. I also could see nothing in event viewer, nor the log file I see in the RC4 directory.

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

RC relies on VB runtime files. We know RC4 will run on some W10 installs so it is compatible. You could try the VB Runtime installer here. https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=24417

Although Doug is helpful I would write to John Dekker at jd@jdtllc.com as he’s the programmer if the above doesn’t work.

I downloaded and installed these, sadly it didn't help.

So I uninstalled RC completely. Then I redownloaded the icloud file.

Then I installed it fresh, as an administrator, to C:\RC4. 

And it still doesn't work. =P 

I'll tinker around again tomorrow. See if I can play around with the compatibility, etc. Thanks for the assistance thus far.

Compatibility mode might work. Might. Well done on your efforts so far.

Can you advise your version number of Win 10 please.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Not the newest.

Version 1709, Win 10 Pro Build 16299.492.

Couldn't get it to work with compatibilities either.

@SkyyStorm, that quite an old build. I checked mine and it's 1809 17763.316. Windows 10 Pro.

Out of interest I downloaded and installed 4.3.3845. It installed fine until the bit where it wants to install FSUIPC. I cancelled out at that point as it would be a wrong version anyway.

I launched RC4 and was presented with the registration window. I generated the key and entered it. RC closed. I launched it again and was presented with the main interface.

I selected a flight plan but it returned error 713 - Class not registered. MSSTDFMT.DLL.

That file doesn't exist on my system so at that point I stopped. But the main thing is I was able to get RC4 running. I suggest you try to update your OS to 1809 17763.316 if possible.

Alternatively, those files do exist in Windows 7 so if you have access to that OS you should be able to copy them to Windows\System32 or Windows\SysWOW and register them. Not sure which but I suspect the former.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have W10 1809 and MSSTDFMT.DLL is present and registered.

The really weird thing is this: I have a dual-boot system, W7 on one drive W10 on another one. P3Dv4 runs on the W7 drive. Being logged in to W7 I can launch RC4 located on the W10 system, but I cannot launch RC4 being logged in on W10.

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

@agutz, we really need someone with a W10 only setup to confirm what build version allows RC4 to run.

The full version of W10 would also be helpful.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather