Sign in to follow this  
SkyyStorm

Radar Contact Startup Issue

I'm running Win10 pro 1803 and have no problems with RC4 It's installed into a drive dedicated to flight sim and is set to run with admin privileges I did have issues originally on install because of the MSSTDFMT.DLL file but I found and registered it using the following.

The file MSSTDFMT.DLL needs to be placed into "C:\Windows\SysWOW64" and registered in elevated command prompt with the command regsvr32 c:\windows\syswow64\msstdfmt.dll

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png

Ray,
Ms Windows 10 Pro
version 10.0.17763 Build 17763

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

17 minutes ago, agutz said:

Ray,
Ms Windows 10 Pro
version 10.0.17763 Build 17763

No build number but I guess 1809.

And the language of the OS? Shouldn't make a difference but trying to see the differences. Mine is English (United Kingdom).

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

@agutz, do you see the RC4 splash screen?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Yes it's W10 1809, language is English (US) and no, I don't see the splash screen

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

2 minutes ago, agutz said:

Yes it's W10 1809, language is English (US) and no, I don't see the splash screen

Let’s try and remove the dual boot thing. Boot into 10, uninstall RC4, reboot into 10 and install again.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have done that many times: Boot into W10, deinstall RC4, reboot into W10, install RC4, try to launch it ...
(It was just a matter of curiosity that I tried to launch RC4 from W7)

Perhaps it would be helpful to hear from those many people using RC4 in W10. For my part I crawled back to W7.

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

@agutz, okay. Have you disabled anti-virus? That would prevent an exe from running.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Make sure antivirus hasn’t blacklisted RC4.exe. Makes no sense for it not to run and also, for there to be no mention in Event Viewer. That should record everything.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

No, my antivirus hasn't blocked RC4 and the Event Viewer doesn't see anything.

Perhaps it will be one of the many unanswered questions of mankind.
May future generations etc etc etc

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

Try the instructions in this video. What you’re describing is not logical.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

7 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@SkyyStorm, that quite an old build. I checked mine and it's 1809 17763.316. Windows 10 Pro.

Out of interest I downloaded and installed 4.3.3845. It installed fine until the bit where it wants to install FSUIPC. I cancelled out at that point as it would be a wrong version anyway.

I launched RC4 and was presented with the registration window. I generated the key and entered it. RC closed. I launched it again and was presented with the main interface.

I selected a flight plan but it returned error 713 - Class not registered. MSSTDFMT.DLL.

That file doesn't exist on my system so at that point I stopped. But the main thing is I was able to get RC4 running. I suggest you try to update your OS to 1809 17763.316 if possible.

Alternatively, those files do exist in Windows 7 so if you have access to that OS you should be able to copy them to Windows\System32 or Windows\SysWOW and register them. Not sure which but I suspect the former.

Yeah. I have tried all other things. I'll see if I can get time this week to run all my updates, and get to the current Win 10 build.

--

As for some of the other points I see mentioned. I only run Windows Defender as an anti-virus. I did add the exclusions, and even tried turning it off, but to no avail.

Although I've never gotten to a point to receive the class not registered error, I did even try and register that DLL manually with regsvr, on both system32 and syswow64. I downloaded it from the internet. This unfortunately still did not resolve my startup-close issue.

And, as for Event Viewer, in my experience (as a programmer), I tried checking all the likely logs under Event Viewer that may contain crash information for this, especially considering its VB, but alas I cannot find anything. So it could be that RC is just closing itself without logging. Or I'm just looking in the wrong place. 

I'm beginning to lose hope. =(

But, as I said above, I'll try and update my Windows 10 to the latest build this week, and see if I am able to resolve the issue by that.

Thanks for all the help thus far. Much appreciated.

@SkyyStorm, I also only run Defender so we can exclude anti-virus. The DLL not registered message won't appear until you try to load a flight plan.

Some things you could try are here.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/window-10-wont-run-some-exe-files-even-though-as/ddc60f83-48dc-4007-8ae7-908709f2bbdb

Checking system files is a must. And try creating another (temporary) user account and see if you can run it via that one. I did nothing special except run the installer in admin mode.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I am out of ideas, except this: Have you tried turning off UAC completely (set "never notify") as well as running as admin.?

I run W10 Home (17763.348 v1809) and I have RC in C:\RCv4x and after the usual "missing file" episode, have never had problems with these settings.

(Doesn't mean it would work for you, though)🙁

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Good point Ian. I also run with UAC off. Might that be the difference.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather