Sign in to follow this  
antic81

Updating the content

Hi All,

I am just trying to update the content part of P3D. My issue is with the .cab files that are also required as part of the download. They don't remain as .Cabs and instead become winrar files, I've tried extracting them, but how do you get them to remain as single .cab files? The content will not update without them. I have watched videos but they all seem to show the files downloading successfully as 2 single  .cab files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Anthony 

Anthony Milner

I assume that you have downloaded the two .cab files and the Content.msi file to the same folder, and then double clicked on the .msi file to start the installation? Everything will be done automatically (including accessing the data from the .cab files). Do not forget to uninstall the old Content first!

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

When you installed Winrar you must have associated .cab files to be able to extract with Winrar, they're still cab files, just their icon changed.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Hi Guys,

Yeah I have deleted the old Content file, so when the files are downloading I can see that they (although they show WinRAR) still are named cont1.cab and cont2.cab. However when I go to the downloads section to move them all into the same folder as the .msi file they are not called .cab any more. I've tried renaming them, re-downloading them etc. I always get the same error when I try to install from the .msi file, it says cont1.cab cannot be found... I seem to remember this being a lot easier the last time I did this!

Thanks again!

Anthony Milner

I've just re-downloaded and the files appear as winrar files and are just names cont1 and cont2, if I right click they are showing as winrar files, is there anything I can do to fix this? I tried renaming as I said, it didn't seem to work.

Anthony Milner

Uninstal Winrar temporarily and see what happens.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

1 hour ago, antic81 said:

I've just re-downloaded and the files appear as winrar files and are just names cont1 and cont2, if I right click they are showing as winrar files, is there anything I can do to fix this? I tried renaming as I said, it didn't seem to work.

So what you are saying the cont1.cab and cont2.cab files are changing to cont1.rar and cont2.rar files? I use Winrar and the .cab remain as .cab files. What browser are you using? When downloading have you tried right clicking the cont file and saving as .cab instead of just left clicking on the file to download?
eq3D9MS.jpg

Hi Bill,

Yeah I have just tried that method and it still seems to do the same thing, just like yours looks it says cont1.cab when I download but when I view the file it goes back to just saying cont1 and it does not seem to be recognised by the .msi file. They don't actually say .rar at the end though. Although they have the icon of WinRAR.

I'm starting to run out of ideas!

Edited by antic81

Anthony Milner

4 minutes ago, antic81 said:

Hi Bill,

Yeah I have just tried that method and it still seems to do the same thing, just like yours looks it says cont1.cab when I download but when I view the file it goes back to just saying cont1 and it does not seem to be recognised by the .msi file. They don't actually say .rar at the end though. Although they have the icon of WinRAR.

I'm starting to run out of ideas!

Did you uninstall the Winrar like I said? 

Jacek G.

18 minutes ago, antic81 said:

when I download but when I view the file

When you say view the file, you are opening the file? You don't need to open it for any reason. Redownload the .cab files and just run the .msi making sure they are all in the same folder.

Also go to Windows Control Panel / Folder Options

and uncheck: "Hide extensions for known file types"

That way, you will be able to see the complete file name + extension.

Bert

21 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

Did you uninstall the Winrar like I said? 

Yes mate, just gave that a go. Same outcome. Files still just seem to come up named cont1  and cont2, no extension in the name and still get the file cont1.cab cannot be found when I try to install using the .msi.

Anthony Milner

I would reboot your PC, and download the two .cab files again.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thanks for all the help gents! I restarted and re-downloaded and it decided to work! Woohoo!

Thanks again!

Anthony

• Like 1

Anthony Milner