Sign in to follow this  
CpnBill

Another Video Card Question

You all have been so helpful on here, so I thought I'd reach out with one more specific question to my other post, more of a follow up.

I can't afford to spend $1000 on a Video card, it just doesn't make sense for me right now.  My system specs are below, I don't "think" I'll be going to 4k anytime soon, so just running three monitors, (can just run one if need be.) But wanting to find something to get me some average to good FPS and addon scenery for Prepar3d.

I've done some research and will continue to keep looking but..IF you had to pick one of the following cards, what would you go with?  And no 1080Ti/2080ti is not an option for me. :)

• RTX2060
  • RTX2070
  • 1070Ti
  • RTX 2080-  This would be a stretch.

Am I really going to notice huge diff's between these for the cost?

• Intel i5-8600k
  • Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5
  • 16 GB DDR4 3000 G. Skill
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
  • 3 TB Barracuda 7200RPM for backup
  • GTX750 Ti.

As an update.  I'm currently running the settings that Q8Pilot recommended, and Active Sky, and I'm pulling 14-30 FPS as I fly at about 3,000 feet across Kansas.  I would think any of the above cards would really help with what I'm looking to get.

Edited by CpnBill

The 1070Ti and the RTX2070 are running with 8 GB of VRAM vs 6GB for the 2060, so go with the RTX2070, and if budget is very limited take the 1070TI if you find a good deal. RTX2070 is a better choice imho.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2070-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070-Ti/4029vs3943

https://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=4023&gid2=4015&compare=geforce-rtx-2070-vs-geforce-gtx-1070-ti

Mike

• Like 2

1080ti used in good condition 

thats what I’m getting

a gigabytes Aorus extreme edition for 700 Canadian 

why would a 1080ti not be an option as oppose to a 2060 2070 2080 or 1070ti

it will yeild better performance 

I'm like yourself, cannot afford the huge prices of a 2080Ti series GPU which in Aust are ~$1850-$2600.

I opted for a 1070Ti (while they were still available) and although, yes more power is always desirable (or maybe 2 x GPU in SLI?), I am happy with the 1070Ti but if you could pick up a 1080Ti I'd go for that over the 1070Ti, however the 2070 and 2080 would also be good options if they came at the right price (not in Aust though I'm afraid).

One thing I found that complemented the 1070Ti was a monitor that could sync to 30 Hz and I chose the Dell MultiSync MHL IPS monitor (U2417H - can sync down to 23 Hz)  as it's a very nice monitor with a stand that's a cut above other monitor stands, and although not 4K I find it fantastic for P3D flying with vsync smoothness.

I also run a Ryzen 1700 overclocked with SMT off and the below vid shows the sort of perfomance I get with the monitor running @ 30 Hz.

Cheers

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/168487-prepar3d-v44-tour-around-l35-big-bear-airport-in-the-ant-trojan-t28d/

Edited by Rogen
Invalid vid link workaround
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

also use a 1070 at the noment. and she's doing a good job at 4k.

only night time with 4x ssaa is too much for her.

was thinking about a 2080 but i wanted something with at least 11 gb vram.

it's sad that the radeon 7 can not have nearly the same performance like a 2080 😞 16 gb vram is more then enough for some years.

• Upvote 1

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

Thanks all, appreciate the input!

The 1080ti is not out of the question, but my understanding is if I can find a used one, I'm running the risk of it being used for mining which could mean a shorter lifespan for the card?

15 minutes ago, CpnBill said:

Thanks all, appreciate the input!

The 1080ti is not out of the question, but my understanding is if I can find a used one, I'm running the risk of it being used for mining which could mean a shorter lifespan for the card?

With any used card you run the risk that it may have been overclocked and/or run hard for mining etc.

I'm not sure where you are located, but on Ebay in the US a nice used 1080Ti can be found for around $550.

I'm in the states.  I'll take a look at ebay, just makes me nervous. 🙂

Looks like a few even local on facebook.  $500-600 range seems about right?  Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti is one that I'm looking at locally.

So here's a question.... A used 1080ti for $550 or a new 2070?  Obviously the 1080ti is going to be a better card, but new vs. used etc.

Edited by CpnBill

13 hours ago, Mikelab6 said:

The 1070Ti and the RTX2070 are running with 8 GB of VRAM vs 6GB for the 2060, so go with the RTX2070, and if budget is very limited take the 1070TI if you find a good deal. RTX2070 is a better choice imho.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2070-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070-Ti/4029vs3943

https://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=4023&gid2=4015&compare=geforce-rtx-2070-vs-geforce-gtx-1070-ti

Mike

I'm getting closer to just making a decision.  I'm leaning towards the RTX 2070.  I just don't think I can spend the $$$ on a used card, while I know many of them are fine, I think that will suit me just fine for $500.

3 minutes ago, CpnBill said:

I'm getting closer to just making a decision.  I'm leaning towards the RTX 2070.  I just don't think I can spend the $$$ on a used card, while I know many of them are fine, I think that will suit me just fine for $500.

How much is that RTX 2070 going to cost you if you don't mind me asking..??

FWIW, i've bought (and sold) a lot of PC hardware on ebay and never had any serious issues, but if you just want to stick with factory new I can certainly understand that preference.

$500-600 for the 2070.  I have a guy here locally that has the Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti for $550, but old enough it doesn't have a warranty left.

Edited by CpnBill

The gigabyte Aorus extreme edition 1080ti  I am looking  at  comes with 2 years warranty left 

I’ve bought used before and has served me well.

hopefully it does this time round

Edited by mikeymike
  • Like 1