Sign in to follow this  
HaraldG

Crossing the Atlantic - the Russian way

Hi,

some days ago a saw screenshots from a flight Zurich-Philadelphia. It looked quite easy: Taking off at Zurich... Landing at Philadelphia. Some hours of flying in between.

But what to do when your plane consumes Kerosene the way a Siberian drinks Vodka?

At first find a place where they can maintain a Tupolev in the western hemisphere. I thought of Havana:

6R2kqGt.jpg

Due to fuel consumption, a planned to cross the Atlantic in three legs: Havana - Bermuda; Bermuda - Acores; Acores - Germany.

Flying the Tupolev means work for a crew of four:

6who4cq.jpg

Getting up.

n5QBj4t.jpg

wH62zLD.jpg

t9VZjI0.jpg

bLG4puf.jpg

Bermuda in sight:

LRLOUMy.jpg

7NUbsFX.jpg

The next day: En route again!

HeczWhr.jpg

Hours in the cockpit with only clouds and water in sight:

n8nioDy.jpg

FQRcAfw.jpg

Reaching Europe: The Acores. Flores Island below:

0gRoj4V.jpg

ztUqWfw.jpg

Approach to Lajes AB at Terceira Island:

HjxRave.jpg

rJZw2QU.jpg

The last leg begins with a meeting of Soviet planes in the middle ot the Atlantic Ocean:
raze5bo.jpg

Again a very long time in the cockpit:
iJlbrym.jpg

Approaching Cologne:
3exA3WX.jpg

Z9j92nh.jpg

Finally resting.
H91MfPh.jpg

Regards,
Harald

• Like 9

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

"... But what to do when your plane consumes Kerosene the way a Siberian drinks Vodka? "....🙂....Harald, on top of fuel-consumption, you forgot about the "noise-level" of those Tu-134 engines - not acceptable in western hemisphere either...

Great series of pics of this long oceanic flight (w/ diverse weather/light patterns) and also a nice shot of the Flores Island overfly!

Edited by P_7878

Cool theme, reminds me of Sean Connery's deep voiced detailing to his sailors the intended voyage of The Hunt For Red October...., something about the women in Havana, I hear his voice now LOL....

Did not intend to offend any female members here, I just know that movie so well since I know the man who wrote it and my tiny contribution to Hollywood is I helped in a certain, private joke way, with its ending that no one ever catches anyway, not one of my students ever remembered the ending of that movie and the preamble to how I was involved with it is soooo long that I would be older than Larry Ferguson the writer and my friend at that time, (he probably forgot all about me anyway, it was just one movie), the one who invited me to Paramount studios as a reward for my saving his tiny ending of the movie that had about .0001 pct to do with the main dialog or plot or anything else.  It is why I was not listed in his credits, whah whah but I have preserved what happened in my memories and in the memories of some in Hollywood who do know the funny story of a Napa Valley Hotel guest service agent who saved the world from a dastardly deed aimed at our VIP guest and sometimes star and well known writer, Larry Ferguson.  Those were the 80's, not the happiest time of my life, just the second happiest time of my life until I became a father.

Thanks for me letting me hijack your thread, screenshots do not garner as much interest as we hope, so I like to bump up great posts and at this late hour it is cyalatah!

John

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

***Excellent***

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Fantastic shots, Harald. Reminds me of the famous 1986 East German TV series "Treffpunkt Flughafen" (almost as famous as "Zur See"), only in that series they flew an Il-62 😉

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

3 hours ago, John_Cillis said:

...not one of my students ever remembered the ending of that movie..

"Welcome to the new world, sir" I'm not one of your students, John, but I too remember the ending of that movie with both Sean Connery and Alec Baldwyn standing in the conning tower, looking out onto the river 😉

• Upvote 1

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Thanks P_7878, Ed, John Patrick and Bernd for commenting here. And no problem John, cool story! Unfotunately I didn't remember the movie either. But I do remember "Treffpunkt Flughafen"; watched it sometimes when I was a child. Althought we kids didn't understand so much about the plot, we found the Il-62 great. I still do.

11 hours ago, edetroit said:

You take that Tu-134 wherever you like

She was preserved just for that purpose...😎

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

18 hours ago, P_7878 said:

...you forgot about the "noise-level" of those Tu-134 engines - not acceptable in western hemisphere either...

IMNSHO Old jet noise is acceptable in my western hemisphere.(Cranky 50 something Englishman here) :cool:

Beautiful screenshot set Harald thank you.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

On 3/10/2019 at 9:04 PM, HighBypass said:

Old jet noise is acceptable in my western hemisphere.

Acceptable? It's music!... like contemporary electronic music from the 70ies, but music nevertheless.

Thank you for commenting, Mark!

• Upvote 1

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Perhaps I should have worded my reply more strongly: jet noise should be compulsory, not merely acceptable! 😄 😄

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

4 hours ago, HighBypass said:

Perhaps I should have worded my reply more strongly: jet noise should be compulsory, not merely acceptable! 

+1 😊😊😊

• Like 1

The Tu-134 and Tu-154, arguably some of the best flightsim models ever!

8 hours ago, sascha said:

The Tu-134 and Tu-154, arguably some of the best flightsim models ever!

Thanks Sascha. I can't speak for the Tu-154, but the 134 is my favourite model by far; and so she is the main cause for me to stay with FS2004.

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

On 3/12/2019 at 10:00 PM, HaraldG said:

... the 134 is my favourite model by far; and so she is the main cause for me to stay with FS2004.

Harald, there is a good one also available for XP11, I'll show you later