Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Ethiopia crash

Engineers working on MCAS didn't even have a clue the system was being changed and, ultimately, turned into a safety risk? Talk about Boeing being transparent to rebuild trust when they don't even seem to be transparent within the company itself.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

17 hours ago, threegreen said:

Engineers working on MCAS didn't even have a clue the system was being changed and, ultimately, turned into a safety risk? Talk about Boeing being transparent to rebuild trust when they don't even seem to be transparent within the company itself.

This goes back to what I said initially; to fix the Max, you need more that to fix the Max - you need to fix and replace management. 

And some of the attitude seems to be “so what if the MCAS system and its implementation was fundamentally flawed, no matter, properly trained pilots should be able to handle the resulting failures, so hey, there’s blame to go around.” Errrr, no...

The article above is really a must read.

• Like 1

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

1 hour ago, IUBrian said:

This goes back to what I said initially; to fix the Max, you need more that to fix the Max - you need to fix and replace management. 

And some of the attitude seems to be “so what if the MCAS system and its implementation was fundamentally flawed, no matter, properly trained pilots should be able to handle the resulting failures, so hey, there’s blame to go around.” Errrr, no...

The article above is really a must read.

That’s hardly the ‘attitude’. My point is the ethiopean minister lied when she said all procedures were followed by the pilots. They were not. Whether they would have crashed or not is not the issue. From the perspective of a fellow pilot, my issue is that they made no sign of following their emergency training. It could have made a difference in the outcome. Or it may not. The outcome is not the issue, the process is the issue. Because when you are in an emergency situation, or more importantly, if your loved one was riding as a passenger of an aircraft in an emergency situation, wouldn’t you want to see that their emergency training and protocols kicked in? Wouldn’t you want to know that all proper and required actions were taken? Wouldn’t you want to rest knowing that everything that could have been done to save the plane was done? Instead of being left wondering if those people could have been saved if they did what they were trained to do? Would you not agree that the best chance of a good outcome would be if the pilots actually followed their training and procedures? That is my ‘attitude’.

Edited by KevinAu
  • Like 1

I saw a handful of TUI 737 MAX 8 planes parked to one side at Manchester Airport today when I went to pick up a friend.......right before the clutch totally failed on my car, and I had to be towed a hundred miles back home :dry:

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

5 hours ago, KevinAu said:

That’s hardly the ‘attitude’. My point is the ethiopean minister lied when she said all procedures were followed by the pilots. 

Sorry, I can see that it would appear I was singling you out; that wasn’t my intent. I was referring to Boeing generally. 

By way of imperfect analogy, say Boeing, due to design failures, produces a plane with engines that fail at, say, 100 times the rate than should be expected. Obviously there are engine out procedures such that a properly trained crew could deal with the problem. If in a handful of failures the crew reacted improperly, resulting in fatal crashes, yes in hindsight we could say if the pilots had followed procedure the crashes wouldn’t have happened. But I think blame in that scenario would appropriately be assessed to the aircraft manufacturer. That’s really my point - Boeing’s flawed implementation of MCAS is where blame lies. In particular, while runaway trim is a known potential problem, its characteristics with a MCAS fault seem to be if not unique,  exceedingly rare. 

But again, my reference to “attitude” wasn’t to you; it’s towards Boeing generally, who has been the consistent subject of my complaints in this thread. I appreciate your perspective on pilots; it creates a fuller picture of the tragedy and I was not dismissing it. 

• Like 2

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

33 minutes ago, IUBrian said:

But I think blame in that scenario would appropriately be assessed to the aircraft manufacturer. That’s really my point - Boeing’s flawed implementation of MCAS is where blame lies. In particular, while runaway trim is a known potential problem, its characteristics with a MCAS fault seem to be if not unique,  exceedingly rare. 

I don’t think anybody on earth would argue with that. Not even boeing at this point. Prior to the ethiopean crash, boeing’s response to the lionair mcas issue was still conventionally rooted to liability mitigation. Their initial response to the lionair crash that merely applying trim runaway procedures was all that was necessary was obviously crafted by lawyers only. By now, the failures in the design, management and oversight process are clear and undeniable to all. Though the ethiopean pilots also had failures during the fatal flight, at most that can do for boeing is bring ethiopean airlines in to share in some of the liability. 

• Upvote 1

Let's remember that the Lion Air crash may have been averted had the crew previous to the accident crew been more descriptive and conclusive in logging their problems on the previous flight. The accident crew took over an airplane that should have been grounded for equipment fault.

5 hours ago, mabe54 said:

Meh.  More like "when it sprinkles, the media piles on."  These sorts of ADs happen just about on a daily basis...the fact that the manufacturers and the regulators analyze failures fleet-wide and check the rest of the fleet when there's a statistical bump that looks aberrant is one reason why failure and accident rates are at historical lows. 

But...preface it with a typical air of gloom and doom intended to sensationalize the mundane..."more bad news for Boeing"...and it becomes fodder for the fomentation of public hysteria over the facts of everyday life in the aviation world.  This is actually a good news story--how aviation safety systems and oversight work to solve issues early, before they become a problem.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

From an article in today's London Sunday Times:

The Sunday Times reports that thousands of tickets are still being sold for flights on Boeing planes that remain grounded following two accidents in which 346 people died.

It says a number of airlines, including American, Norwegian and TUI, have scheduled more than 32,000 departures on the 737 Max jets later this year.

One British tourist says he felt like "a guinea pig" when he found out he would be travelling to the Caribbean on one of the planes, despite being given assurances to the contrary when he booked the flight. He then asked for a refund but was refused one.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Some airlines are looking at cancelling some routes due to having to lease aircraft, causing the route to make a loss.

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I watched an interesting film on TV the other week about 50 years of the 747 in which the original pilots talked about it, I did not relies that Boeing nearly want under at the launch and they were laying off workers all over and showed a sign in Seattle with last one out turn off the lights, and in the first year pilots said if you completed a flight with all four engine still working you were lucky, and it was only because it could fly on two engine that it was not grounded.     

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg