Sign in to follow this  
JustinQ

Vega 64 problems in P3Dv4

I recently purchased a pair of Radeon Vega 64s, however i keep on getting the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG crash when loading into almost any scenery. I have all the latest firmware and a fresh, nearly stock install of P3D with only one plane installed. GPUs work perfectly fine in all other tasks. I would like to know if anyone else running a similar hardware configuration has had any issues or any solutions, Thanks.

Sadly my only experience with Radeon made me go back to Nvidia GPU's.  They do some things better but in my simming they were a no go, but that was about a decade ago.  My Radeon card I used only for eighteen months before switching back to a slower, cheaper, but oddly faster in MSFS at that time Nvidia card. 

An Nvidia card came bundled with my current system and I asked the salesman point blank in my best Liam Neeson style "I have a particular set of skills, if this does not work with Xplane and P3D....."  He assured me it did and my midrange system at that time, actually a cheap system for simmers, has handled both sims, Trainsim, and No Limits Coaster 2 with its low mem GPU fantastically well.

I studied hardware groups whenever a new update to MSFS came out, and the usual response was--have a harmonized system--a high end GPU may be too high end for that harmony, and moreover rake your system over the coals for driver issues, which is what I hope you have so you can keep what you wanted to purchase.

Good luck and never fear, someone will help you and my post is just to bump your post into full view

John

The problem is not with the AMD cards. This error pops up in a number of non-P3D games also. There is really no comprehensive fix to this. There are a number of opinions, posts and discussions in this sub-forum: https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/327-monitors-multi-monitors-video-cards-drivers/ -- do a search on DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG. Along with a number of others, I get this error with my 1080ti randomly. You may want to search in https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/262-crash-to-desktop-ctd-forum/ also.

Best of luck.

P.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

22 hours ago, JustinQ said:

I recently purchased a pair of Radeon Vega 64s, however i keep on getting the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG crash when loading into almost any scenery. I have all the latest firmware and a fresh, nearly stock install of P3D with only one plane installed. GPUs work perfectly fine in all other tasks. I would like to know if anyone else running a similar hardware configuration has had any issues or any solutions, Thanks.

I read from the other member's response that even members with Nvidia cards like mine have had the issue.  I have never seen it.  When you say you have a nearly stock install of P3D, did you apply any tweaks after the install?  Have you added any scenery?  And last, have you tried loading with a different default aircraft, it is always best practice to load with a default aircraft if you can or have not already, it goes to an old bug which is still present in P3DV4.4....  One or two of my add-on aircraft cannot even be used with default situations.

Last, an old trick I have used since the DOS days is to scan a prog folder by date, for the most recent changes to your files.

Hardware challenges are a greater issue.  I do not upgrade my gpu driver when I've had no issues after a certain period unless it is required by another Nvidia program, such its free mp4 capture program not originally bundled with my system (GEForce Experience).  I had to get it from a competing vendor's website, but I know you cannot use it.

John

Sim only has one plane installed on it which is why i thought of it as somewhat modified but seems like its mainly a problem with higher settings, which surprises me seeing that these are very high end gpus, seems to always happen right as the aircraft starts rolling.

Are they working in xfire (linked up)? I couldn’t get that working with p3d. So you probably only using one card. I had two of these, but it’s best to unlink them for p3d (crossfire disables). Also had problems with having hbcc enabled in the driver, I had a lot less crashes with hbcc off. 

I just have a single Radeon vii now, but yet to try it on p3d... 

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

And another tip, take the time to set up a profile for p3d in Radeon settings.

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

I played with radeon profiles, seems like the problem is recurring,  especially in regions with large amounts of vegetation. What settings did you use when you were playing p3d on an rx64.

I kept the vegetation and building autogen on dense. With the profile keep the frame rate limited off, and use in game one. Play with vsync on or off see if that helps. Also in the profile I set adaptive AA at 4x and AF to 16x. Turn off the ichill thing and image quality to high. There another optimisation thing which I set to off, I left tessalation to amd recommended but some people say to turn that down a notch or 2. 

I think the main thing is to keep the autogen reasonable, you’re not going to be able to max that out, especially with a lot of orbx going on. 

Thanks, this seems to have fixed my issue, hopefully AMD hardware and flight simulators learn to get along better in the future.

I’m on holiday at the mo, but back in April! Will try my Radeon 7 then, 16gb should help with higher resolutions. And I’ll be getting zen2 when that come out, if it can hit 5ghz like the rumours say then it should be pretty blooming good 🤗