Sign in to follow this  
lowew79

ILS Localizer and Glideslope stop working at 500 feet AGL

Posted (edited)

Last night I was flying the Texas Bikini Team to Destin Florida (KVPS) for a competition (my mind is strange but beautiful place).  It was WAY IFR, like super foggy.  No problem though we are in a ILS equipped plane and other than the fog the weather is not bad.  So I dial the ILS-W runway 19 approach the autopilot flies it just fine.  The aircraft gently glides down, locked onto the localizer and the Glide slope, then at about 500 feet AGL, well short of the runway, I lose the signal of both the localizer AND the glide slope.  The aircraft veers to the right, nearly crashes (since the autopilot now has nothing to follow) and I have to change my pants.

Is there ever a situation where ILS' are designed to cut out like that?  I understood that the Glide slope, and localizer especially, are supposed to continue to send a signal all the way to at least decision height if not touchdown.  

I recently installed FSAERODATA on my PC, it is supposed to update the actual navaids and fixes inside FSX, could that cause this problem (if it is indeed a error)?  Like the sim thinks the airport is 500 feet higher than it really is?  my other add-ons are all aircraft (no scenery).  I've flown approaches into other airports since installing FSaerodata with no issue.

I flew this approach in multiple aircraft including default FSX ones and the error is repeatable, they all lose signal and veer right towards the ground.

If anyone is bored try flying the ILS-W rwy 19 into KVPS, see if it leaves you hanging 500 feet AGL.  Let me know what happens.

Thanks for any help

Edited by lowew79

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I might give it a try later today.  Default KVPS?

I leave work in 30 mins, will try when I get home

Yes default KVPS, the onlt scenery-ish thing I have is FSaerodata, which is my chief suspect right now lol.

OK, Just flew from Tallahassee to KVPS-Eglin AFB.  I set up my weather conditions similar to yours.  I was assigned to an ILS approach to runway 19.  I'm flying the default KingAir.  All was A-OK on the ILS Localizer and the Glideslope down to the landing threshold, where I turned off the A/P and landed.

Nothing wrong with the runway ILS/Glideslope.

Posted (edited)

HMM ok then, I guess i need to fiddle with my FSaerodata and see if it caused the issue.

Thanks for testing it for me.

Edited by lowew79

Say what you want about FSaerodata their support is fantastic.  It seems that the default FSX has KVPS with two ILS stations one at 100.3 and the other 109.1.  Anyway when FSaerodata updated FSX, it made KVPS accurate to current real world frequencies.  Well, in the real world now BOTH ILS stations use the same frequency, 109.1 with different course headings of course .  FSX apparently gets very confused by this and causes the behavior I described.  

Interesting lol.