Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

'Must have' starter XP plugins

What are the basic 'must have' plugins for XP if I wanted to evaluate it?  Things move along pretty quickly and I have seen older videos.  Looking for more up to date opinions.

I have:

Zibo

AS XP

Better Pushback

Is there a shader utility which gets rid of the awful brown haze?

Anything else I should install to get the best out of it?

cheers

One free MUST have IMO: LiveTraffic ... . It does what it claims to do, with all its quircks, but if you are on a fully covered airport, like say EDDM, it is incredible. 

(BTW, EDDM by Short Final Design, as all misterX airports, is highly recommended also. Now I think of it, everything with his nametag on it is... ).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ErichB said:

xVision has an anti-khaki option and given proper configuration transforms the whole ugly duck into a beautiful swan. You can find pretty settings in the ORBX forum.

xVision is payware. There are freeware solutions as well, but I like xVision because of its configurability.

Besides, I would recommend xOrganizer for organzing scenery/files. Otherwise you just have to hand-edit the scenery_packs ini, which is error-prone, notably for the XP beginner.

I agree to soaring-penguin, LiveTraffic is really cool. 

Kind regards, Michael

Edited by pmb
  • Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Definitely "XP Realistic".

• Like 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

47 minutes ago, soaring_penguin said:

One free MUST have IMO: LiveTraffic ..

Can Live Traffic models be used for xSquawkbox and VATSIM?

If not what are the best VATSIM models available the the latest VATSIM client?

1 hour ago, ErichB said:

Can Live Traffic models be used for xSquawkbox and VATSIM?

If not what are the best VATSIM models available the the latest VATSIM client?

I don't fly at VATSIM myself, but I think so. LifeTraffic uses models from CSL (details are documented at the excellent LifeTraffic manual at the x-plane.org LifeTraffic page). The CSL package readme states

-------------------------------------------------------

This is a package of animated X-Plane CSL models for XSquawkBox. They were converted from Bluebell's package of AI models for WorldTraffic.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Just now, pmb said:

I don't fly at VATSIM myself, but I think so. LifeTraffic uses models from CSL (details are documented at the excellent LifeTraffic manual at the x-plane.org LifeTraffic page). The CSL package readme states

This is a package of animated X-Plane CSL models for XSquawkBox. They were converted from Bluebell's package of AI models for WorldTraffic.

Kind regards, Michael

Thanks Michael.

2 hours ago, ErichB said:

What are the basic 'must have' plugins for XP if I wanted to evaluate it?  Things move along pretty quickly and I have seen older videos.  Looking for more up to date opinions.

I have:

Zibo

AS XP

Better Pushback

cheers

Xvision (will fix your haze layer depending on preset used), Ortho4XP, up to date scenery libraries, FlyWithLua NG, 3jFPS-wizard11, and AviTab.  Make sure you have the latest Zibo version.

Matt Wilson

2 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Xvision (will fix your haze layer depending on preset used), Ortho4XP, up to date scenery libraries, FlyWithLua NG, 3jFPS-wizard11, and AviTab.  Make sure you have the latest Zibo version.

Super.  

The beauty of x-plane is add-ons are, generally, simply copied into the plugins directory. If you don't like it, just delete the plugin's directory.

I'd add Airport-Navigator, Headshake, x-RAAS2 and x-Camera to the list.

• Like 2

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

To go with zibo’s excellent 737, the terrain radar add-on/gauge. (Also as well as the 737-800, there is also the Ultimate 737-900)

Alaister Kay

Be aware that the Zibo is, unfortunately, a massive FPS hog. Alternatively, use AviTab, FMOD soundpack and the Terrain Radar on the default 737. Laminar is updating the plane frequently, and contrary to Zibo's updates, they won't break something with every damned update.

• Like 1

-

You can use the 2k version of the Zibo tho, that should be a bit easier on the fps.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

26 minutes ago, france89 said:

You can use the 2k version of the Zibo tho, that should be a bit easier on the fps.

Not really, texture res doesn't have an effect on performance as long as you have enough VRAM.

-