Hi Folks,

Re: Phantek Enthoo Pro Case

Assembling a new build - want to remove the stock fans and replace with Noctua... The case has a PWM Fan Hub as illustrated below - which is a new one on me... It has a power lead from the power supply - a four pin CPU fan plug - then - six other fan plugs that are three pin.. When looking at the Noctua fans - the ones that have a "PWM" designation all have four pin plugs - which I obviously can't use...

So I would just purchase the "Non-PWM" three pin fans and plug them in here ?

Also - I thought the mobo controls the fans - where is that connection to allow for that ?

Can anyone shed some light on this topic ?

Thanks...

1zcen80.jpg

Regards,
Scott 

Edited by scottb613

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hi Folks,

Just a follow up in case anyone else comes across this with the same question...

Asked and answered...

I reached out to Noctua directly - as per Noctua - they recommend to NOT use the case mounted PWM Hubs like this - as their 4 pin fans connected directly to the mobo will work far better than the 3 pin fans connected to this hub... They recommend their "PWM" model 4 pin fans... Too bad - the hub would have made for cleaner wire runs... 

Regards,
Scott

I can't say I like the idea of running six fans off one PWM header, anyway.  It appears that the hub takes the PWM pulse rate and converts that to a variable voltage used to vary speed on a bunch of straight DC fans.

I think you got good advice from Noctua...you lose individual control of the fans with the header.

Regards

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your insights !

:)

Regards,
Scott

3 hours ago, w6kd said:

I can't say I like the idea of running six fans off one PWM header, anyway.  It appears that the hub takes the PWM pulse rate and converts that to a variable voltage used to vary speed on a bunch of straight DC fans.

I think you got good advice from Noctua...you lose individual control of the fans with the header.

Regards

Ooooooh, a new build!?  What is it?  Sorry I can't help with your question lol

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi Ryan,

14 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Ooooooh, a new build!?  What is it?  Sorry I can't help with your question lol

Hi Ryan,

Yeah - it's time to put my 2700K out to pasture - she's served me very well - probabvly the best PC I've ever owned based on relative performance and longevity... She still handles everything I throw at her with grace and elegance - LOL...

Nothing fancy - this is that stalled build I've been working on for the past year - put on hold until the Bitcoin Boyz let the price of video cards cool off...

It's a Kaby Lake 7700K with a GTX1070ti (refuse to spend more than $500.00 on a video card)... Actually - I read the GTX1070ti was nearly as good as a vanilla GTX1080 in regards to performance at a better price point... Going to delid the CPU - hoping for 5Ghz - my 2700K has been running at 4.7Ghz for many years...

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

Nice, that looks like a medium to high build.  My friend had a GTX 1070 ti and 7700 (non K version) so stock speeds.  That was running Linux and XP11 very very well I thought.  I had almost all settings maxed out.  I hope to build something like yours this year.  That proposed case looks awesome!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

32 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Nice, that looks like a medium to high build.  My friend had a GTX 1070 ti and 7700 (non K version) so stock speeds.  That was running Linux and XP11 very very well I thought.  I had almost all settings maxed out.  I hope to build something like yours this year.  That proposed case looks awesome!

Hi Ryan,

Yeah - actually the cheapest case I've ever bought - my last two I paid more for aluminum - this build I thought - I never move the darn thing - so I poked around with reviews for a while before deciding on the - Phantek Enthoo Pro - I must say - been working on it the past several nights and it's very nicely done... Fit and finish are great - intelligent design - most of it tool-less - it breaks down very easily and completely for good access while building - I'd buy it again from what I've seen so far... Oh - it's also my first full tower build - the rest were all mid-towers - so I have gobs of room...

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

On 3/14/2019 at 11:43 AM, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

Just a follow up in case anyone else comes across this with the same question...

Asked and answered...

I reached out to Noctua directly - as per Noctua - they recommend to NOT use the case mounted PWM Hubs like this - as their 4 pin fans connected directly to the mobo will work far better than the 3 pin fans connected to this hub... They recommend their "PWM" model 4 pin fans... Too bad - the hub would have made for cleaner wire runs... 

Regards,
Scott

Do you have an Asus board? Asus boards come with a fan extension header, designed for the Asus fan extension module. You can attache three thermistors too. 

https://www.asus.com/Motherboard-Accessories/FAN-EXTENSION-CARD/

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813995054

Plenty of products like this available and dirt cheap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DEEPCOOL-Controller-Splitter-Occupying-Motherboard/dp/B07DDC27BD/ref=asc_df_B07DDC27BD/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310818960639&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2160791637806481670&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007082&hvtargid=pla-633614537424&psc=1

Edited by martin-w

On 3/14/2019 at 2:02 PM, w6kd said:

Regards

The Header on the board only provides the PWM signal though. Power to those six fans is from SATA power.

The Phantek hubs work quite well actually. The fact they are 3 pin headers isn't an issue, you can still plug 4 pin Noctua fans in. You do lose individual control of fan RPM yes, not so with the Asus fan hub. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1