Sign in to follow this  
davetfc

F1, RXP and Mindstar external avionics

Hi,

Just wanted some advice on external avionics software on the market. I'm thinking of purchasing one of these. Can anyone advice me on which one to choose? As far as I can see, Mindstar is the only one offering an update subscription for the navigational database. Is this correct? Also from the info on their website their product seems not be compatible with v4.4 of P3D! Is this also correct? 

Thanks for the tips!

Kind regards

The RealityXP GTN and GNS have the most features and easiest integration, they're also the best maintained.

The Flight1 has had a recent update to a newer trainer version, they were quite a bit later than RXP in doing this.

Mindstar only really seemed relevant for a short while whilst RXP dropped the ball, F1 and RXP supplanted them a long time ago. And they don't do a GTN, just GNS. And as you said, not 64 bit compatible.

Both the RXP and F1 are based on the Garmin desktop trainer, the database is updated by Garmin sporadically but it is often years between updates. However, the database is updatable from Garmin directly, but this is not cheap. If you know people with the units in real life you can put their old database files in to the Garmin trainers.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

On 3/13/2019 at 2:55 PM, ckyliu said:

The RealityXP GTN and GNS have the most features and easiest integration, they're also the best maintained.

The Flight1 has had a recent update to a newer trainer version, they were quite a bit later than RXP in doing this.

Mindstar only really seemed relevant for a short while whilst RXP dropped the ball, F1 and RXP supplanted them a long time ago. And they don't do a GTN, just GNS. And as you said, not 64 bit compatible.

Both the RXP and F1 are based on the Garmin desktop trainer, the database is updated by Garmin sporadically but it is often years between updates. However, the database is updatable from Garmin directly, but this is not cheap. If you know people with the units in real life you can put their old database files in to the Garmin trainers.

Thanks for the info! Will have a look at the RXP then.

Kind regards,

i will provide another vote for RXP, I have used the GNS 530 software on two different P3D installs, 3.4 and 4.4.  While I had some issues with configuration on the 4.4, they were more to do with FSUIPC and my Emuteq module.  RXP works quite well in both systems now. 

As for updates... I am trying to resolve that as we speak.  Partial success so far.

• Like 1

Another vote for Reality XP. Support is excellent.

• Like 2