Sign in to follow this  
Garry Scanlan

FLT files - do they work in P3D?

Hi All

I've installed UK2000 VFR Airfields scenery into P3D v4.4 and see that the 'situations' folder for each volume contains flight plans in FLT format.

They don't open in Plan G or P3D so i'm hoping there's a way to convert/use them. Does anyone have any suggestions?

FLT is the old saved scenario file format from FSX and P3d 1.x. It was subsequently replaced in later versions of P3d by an an XML version with an FXML extension. An FLT file is not a flightplan. Those files have a PLN extension. I'm not sure why one would want to load these FLT scenarios anyway, as they contain a lot of information about the saved state of the aircraft used. This information could corrupt the sim and cause it to CTD if a different complex aircraft was loaded with that file.

whoops, my bad.

could you tell me why these files are there, please? the folder is installed by uk2000 and there's a few wx and save files also, so i'm assuming they're there for a reason?

i've only flown a couple of flights yet there's FLT files for each airfield in the folder.

For backwards compatibility (?) and because the developer did not update the software to a later versions of P3D...

UK2000 says something , I would complain if I had UK2019 and still happened...

Jorge

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Garry Scanlan said:

whoops, my bad.

could you tell me why these files are there, please? the folder is installed by uk2000 and there's a few wx and save files also, so i'm assuming they're there for a reason?

i've only flown a couple of flights yet there's FLT files for each airfield in the folder.

They were there so you could start a session in FSX at specific airports. Somewhere online there used to be a utility that would convert FLT files to FXML format, but I can't find it ATM. If you want to see what is stored in each FLT file, look here at the entry from the P3d version 1 SDK:

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDK/Mission Creation Kit/FlightFiles.htm

They can be viewed with a text editor, as can the P3d4 FXML files, which are stored here:

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files

aeronauta/jabloom- thanks for the help.

you learn something new every day being a flightsimmer!

the software seems to be working just fine but I will try to find that conversion utility. I'm thinking it's got to be better in the correct P3D format, right?