Sign in to follow this  
Howellerman

Mistakes Were Made

Interesting recreation of the Lear 35 crash at Teterboro. PIC and SIC were not communicating, and both were ignoring air traffic control. Both lost their lives - fortunately nobody else was killed.

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/ntsb-animation-on-2017-teterboro-nj-plane-crash-1833251081

• Like 1

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

41 minutes ago, Howellerman said:

Interesting recreation of the Lear 35 crash at Teterboro. PIC and SIC were not communicating, and both were ignoring air traffic control. Both lost their lives - fortunately nobody else was killed.

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/ntsb-animation-on-2017-teterboro-nj-plane-crash-1833251081

Wow!  That's interesting.  Thanks for posting.  I was wondering what happened.

This captain seems to have had his mind on other things.

Man, I wish I hadn't watched that.

Just ugly and a complete disregard for everything that makes up piloting an aircraft. I could go on, but won't.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Wow!!

I won’t call it an accident....that’s an incident that should have never have happened. 

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

One of the Most mindless thing I've heard of. aviation or not.

There was a CRJ accident I recall where the pilots took it up wanting to see if it could truly make FL410, its certified ceiling.  I do not know the details but the aircraft and pilots were lost.  Once again bad decision, but God Bless pilots, so many make the right ones every day, has to be a factor of 99 percent that cannot be measured out to its decimal places, in GA, in ATP, in ultralight flying, in ground maintenance, in the decisions of the flight attendants, ATC and so on.  And that is truly world wide. 

I am always reticent to trample on the graves of those pilots who have made errors in judgement, I have made more than they have in my life to my regrets which have almost cost me my life a few times.  That is why I took a drivers training course after a minor fender bender thinking I'd be bored to tears.  I

t helped me unlearn those driving and life habits I built up making me thing, because I had never caused an accident before, that I was invincible.  We are all fallible, if there was someone in our world who was not we would have had world peace a long time ago, they would lead the UN or some other peace organization, but the perfect one has not been found yet, who can inspire us all to be perfect, so to speak in our personal or judgemental lives. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah I've been following the NTSB analysis of that Lear...  I don't think ATC was very helpful either (sloppy phraseology)....  but the lack of communication between the pilots/CRM/etc was very very bad.  Some people might say "circling approaches are unsafe" blah blah blah but I think it's a good approach for certain situations... and one like this where N90 tracon has to work very hard to bring in a high volume of bizjet traffic around high volume of airliners to EWR, I think it's an acceptable approach to provide.  It also sounds like this specific CTL is fairly standardized and many many others have flown it successfully over the years without incident.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 hours ago, John_Cillis said:

There was a CRJ accident I recall where the pilots took it up wanting to see if it could truly make FL410, its certified ceiling.  I do not know the details but the aircraft and pilots were lost. 

That was a Pinnacle CRJ-200....Now they are Endeavor.  They tried to restart them and nearly made it to an airport without the engines but crashed short of the runway.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Total pilot incompetence and ATC as well.  Best guess based on this is that yhe PIC  was detached and distracted.  How could he have so badly misjudged the distance to the destination? How delegate to an unrated pilot?  How observe but get that deep into an approach?  As for ATC? How could they follow that deep into an approach without challenging, issuing "wake up" contacts, and diverting?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

How it should have been done RIP,

• Like 1

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Why didn't ATC simply tell them to GO AROUND after they were so far off course and in a dangerous position to circle for 1, or even give them permission to land on 6 if the crosswinds were not so bad? That report lays the blame almost entirely on the pilots, although so many obvious mistakes should surely have raised attention, possibly of incapability or intoxication? Cross at 200 feet instead of 1500... Big warning that. 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

The video posted by Jim (BigSky) was interesting as well - you could see the pilot's control inputs reflected in the windshield and he was really sawing away at that yoke as he got close to the runway.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Imagine what the family and friends of the two pilots must think and feel as they listened to the entire ATC and cockpit recordings, along with the video re-enactment? 

ATC probably had their hands full with NYC traffic. However, someone could have done a better job in control

As for the PIC, he is mostly responsible for this tragedy as he exhibited very poor pilotage and ultimately he was responsible for the aircraft and two souls.

When asked by the co-pilot to take over, he should have done so.

Also the go around statement made earlier is true. A forced landing is never a good one. Apparently a lack of airspeed, direction, and control in the video.

Sad situation all the way around.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

12 hours ago, BIGSKY said:

How it should have been done RIP,

He was really working that yoke hard on short finals

ZORAN