Sign in to follow this  
robrooke

Bush flying Tasmania

after last weeks jets this week we try bush flying in Tasmania.  290 nm approx,   5 regular airports,  4 bush strips

starting@ wynyard (YWYY ) we fly along the northern coast overflying  " Burnie Burnie Harbour " to Devonport " ( YDPO )  then on to George Town (YGTO ).

turning south we proceed to Launceston (YMLT ),  three bush strips follow  then on to Strahan (YSRN ), turning back north we head to Ford creek, then to our last landing at Smithton (YSMI ).

as ever your choice of aircraft,   bear in mind there are three very tricky grass strips.

suggested flight time    16.45 pm local   which should give a dusk finish.

Date and time: Saturday, 16 March, 2019. 1900 UTC.
Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel
Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com
Cross-Platform Multiplayer: JoinFS. (FSX, FSX-SE, and P3D).

flight plan HERE

Edited by robrooke

Sounds good Roger. Anything we can land on without churning up someone's vegetable patch? :unsure:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

What scenery is required for the bush strips to show up?

Is the Orbx Tasmania Demo sufficient?

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

This week's event will highlight Orbx Tasmania as well as many wonderful freeware addons via OZx. (If you don't have Orbx Australia, then you can download the original freeware Tasmania Demo.)

Uhappily, last year the OZx site was attacked and disabled and it has not yet resuscitated. The good news is that volunteers, especially Craig Hanley, have made the core OZx files available for download.

If you need to install (or reinstall) the OZx sceneries, go to the Orbx forums, click on the "Community Scenery Addons" subforum, and find the "OZX – v3.0, v3.1, v3.2, v3.3, v3.4, v3.5 and libraries" thread. You will want to install OZx v3.0-v3.5 as well as the libraries. You should follow the normal instructions which will also install the OZx FSX libraries. (OZx was written for FSX and many of the scenery objects are FS9 port-overs and work well in FSX. But they are not compatible with P3D.) If you are using P3D, you will need the "OZX Converted P3D Libraries" down at the bottom of the first post. (You might put the FSX libraries to one side, and instead use the OZx P3D libraries. This is not perfect. Not all library objects were converted, but almost everything works very well.)

This is a time-consuming process. But it is not difficult at all.

As you scroll down the threads, you will find many additional OZx scenery airports that are of exceptional quality. We shall surely have occasion to use more of these sceneries in the future. Unfortunately, the full set of OZx-team sceneries is not yet available.

Many thanks to Craig Hanley and his friends and colleagues.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Bert, you probably do want to take a little time and install the OZx package. These many airstrips, as well as numerous enhanced small and medium airports, will bring a smile to your face.

Let me add. It might take an hour or so, but installing the OZx package is not difficult. However, once you have those airstrips in place, landing at Roger's selections is difficult.

• Upvote 1

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Hmm.. I take it that the airstrips do not show up with just the Orbx package.. correct? 

Maybe easier to land that way... :wink:

Just had a look. several GB of downloads.. may not happen..

At least the regular airports are there already, so I can make do..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Bert,

Think I'm with you...it looks painful, both in time and disk space.

Well, I may have to reconsider...I have Orbx Australia, but after loading the route and checking each airport, I find YGTO, and YWDM don't exist, and the first grass strip Interlaken doesn't exist. I assume the rest of the grass strips won't exist either, at least without installing OZx.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Okay, I installed it all, and I have to say there's some very nice stuff here. The unimproved strips are nicely done with sloping runways and all.

I have visited all the waypoints on the flightplan and everything seems fine, except I have a major elevation problem at YGTO and I haven't been able to solve it. Any ideas?

I'm a bit confused about what I'm supposed to do with the P3D libraries. Currently I'm using the installs as they exist (I assume using the FSX libraries), but I can't seem to find any information about what to do with the P3D libraries...I assume that to use them one would just copy them over the existing FSX? libraries?

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

The OZx_LIB goes under the OZx_AUS in the scenery order.  I am not using the FSX libraries.  I removed the FSX OZx_LIB folder and replaced it with the  P3D OZx_LIB.  There may be incompatible files in the FSX libraries.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Same here. All sceneries do look very well when the P3D Library is installed and activated in the scenery library.

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Captain Obvious points out that the Saturday start time at 1900 UTC is 3pm EDT, 2pm CDT and Noon PDT. This will be true for the next three weeks after which we shall likely switch the start time. The start remains 6am Sunday AEDT. (Be careful: Captain Obvious can mess up arithmetic.)

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

It's 4.00 am AEDT here and I'm already on the go!

Mike Beckwith

Anybody else have elevation problems at YGTO?

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

Steve,

Things are fine on my setup ("works for me"
J ). Here are two things you might check.

First, you might ensure that you have these 4 bgl files in your OZx/OZx_AUS/Scenery folder: mwl_YGTO_AFX.bgl, mwl_YGTO_PR.bgl, mwl_YGTO_CVX.bgl and mwl_YGTO_OBX.bgl.

Second, you might install the "Holgermesh" on which so many Australian sceneries are based. It is freeware downloadable from the Orbx Direct site. (Personally, I have FreeMeshX as my main mesh with the Holgermesh installed with higher priority than the base mesh files. I think that FTX Central will do this for you.) Not sure whether the Holgermesh replaces FreeMeshX here or whether this is even helpful. Just a wild guess. (YGTO is not touched by Vector's AEC, so that is not the problem.)

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Mike,

I have the four files you listed, I have Holgermesh AUS installed, and I had checked AEC, but still have the elevation problem. I'll investigate where Holgermesh is layered and see if I can't find a fix.

FTX Central will indeed install both Holgermesh AUS and Holgermesh New Guinea.

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1