Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Oculus Rift is Out of Stock, Suggesting ‘Rift S’ Is Near

Just backing up my comments on another thread about the current state of the Oculus Rift and the possible introduction of a Rift S

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-stock-web-suggesting-rift-s-near/

It seems one of two things is happening at the moment: either Oculus Rift has been selling like hotcakes and going out of stock simultaneously all over the Internet, or the company is tuning down production for some unknown reason. Considering there’s been no big price drops lately to bring on unseasonable demand, it could be that Facebook is flushing out stock to make way for what’s next.

As first reported by Variety, Rift is out of stock all over the Internet including US online retailers New Egg, Best Buy, Microsoft Store, Micro Center, as well as several European retail partners including Media Markt, Curry’s, and Game.

At the moment it seems few online retailers are still selling Oculus Rift + Touch bundle at the MSRP of $350, Amazon US and Oculus.com being the exceptions.

Facebook declined Variety’s bid for comment on the lack of stock across the web, saying that “Rift is still available for sale at Oculus.com and other channels, including Amazon. We don’t comment on future products, but are excited about the year ahead.”

According to a report in November, a next generation Rift (codenamed ‘Caspar’) was supposed to be a complete redesign of the headset, but was shelved in favor of a product refresh that’s said to include modest upgrades such as higher resolution displays and inside-out positional tracking. Oculus co-founder Brendan Iribe reportedly left Facebook over this still unconfirmed decision; both the company and Iribe have remained tight-lipped around the issue.

The name for the device is reportedly ‘Rift S’, and is said to release sometime this year. We still have no idea exactly what the headset will entail, but so far it looks like its heavily benefiting from the inside-out tracking research done for the company’s upcoming standalone VR headset Oculus Quest.

UploadVR’s David Heaney recently discovered code in the Oculus PC software directly mentioning ‘Rift S’ by name and providing settings for both on-board cameras and in-software interpupiliary distance (IPD) correction.

Since Quest and ‘Rift S’ are created to appeal to different market segments (casual users vs. PC gaming enthusiasts), it makes sense that Facebook is tuning down production of the original Rift to make way for its eventual replacement.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Waiting for news on that ´Rift S´. I´ll buy it on day 1 if they don´t release it too late

Edited by chass32

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

I'll buy it if its got a better image and higher res and bigger FOV and if cost the same or less than what I paid for my Odyssey+😁😛:ph34r:

The fov is projected to be the same, which is probably a good thing in the end. Just the extra resolution is bound to tax many peoples systems, and many sims already have trouble getting acceptable FPS in VR. 🤔

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-email-rift-s/

An email sent to some Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple developers the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

The original Rift released this month in 2016. In 2019, stock of the VR headset has been running out at retailers worldwide. Rift is no longer available in the United States at Amazon, Best Buy or Microsoft. Newegg removed the listing entirely.

Devons rig

Oh seems it´s coming.

I hope it´s in the 300-350 euros range. And since the stock is running dry out in oculus warehouses I don´t see a release date too far away from now,

cheers

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

On 3/15/2019 at 1:05 PM, HiFlyer said:

The fov is projected to be the same, which is probably a good thing in the end. Just the extra resolution is bound to tax many peoples systems, and many sims already have trouble getting acceptable FPS in VR. 🤔

I feel they can do a little more..atleast to Odyssey Plus level

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2