Sign in to follow this  
Matt Piotrowski

Wrong runways and ILS.

I’ve been flying the fslabs and the pmdg planes and a lot of runways are numbered wrong and are not in the right location. When I’m on the runway I look at the screen on the plane and it shows the runway in a different location. Some ILS and runway heading are also wrong. Is there anyway for me to update this?

• Like 1

Been finding this a lot myself... where the ILS Frequency isnt matching up with whats on Aivlasoft's EFB or when I cross reference with the ILS on P3D

Happens when I use either the Aerosoft Airbus or one of the PMDG aircraft so would love to know if there is a fix as when I change it I constantly get a mismatch message

Edited by EastFB72

Are these default airports you're flying into? And if they are addon airports, how old are they?

You have to understand that P3D's nav database has not changed since FSX, and even FSX's I'm not sure to what extent it was updated from FS2004. Hence a lot of the navdata and thus the airports that rely on them are incredibly old for aeronautical standards. So you will see a lot of airports that have wrong runway numbers, as these get updated every so often as the magnetic north shifts. ILS doesn't tend to change as often however, and so that shouldn't be an issue.

There is a 'fix', which means installing a third party nav database over the default one. I can't for the life of me remember where to get it though... I'm sure somebody else will come in and let you know. I do not use it however, as I've heard some complaints of people that it wiped approaches from their default ATC and some other issues, but perhaps that was just a one-time thing for that particular person.

What I do is simpler: I use LittleNavMap. It's a moving map that has the ability to scan your scenery database and then shows you a moving map - but with your scenery on it. Thus when I approach an airport, it also shows me the runway numbers and ILS frequencies that are part of the scenery. These, indeed, may be different from what's in my PMDG 737NGX's database, but at least I'll get the opportunity to cross check and tune to a different ILS frequency if so required.

Another option is to amend the offending AFCAD. A program such as ADE can load a default AFCAD and allow you to change things such as the runway numbers or ILS frequency. Then again, you could also just check the Avsim library for any updated AFCAD.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

One thing that's important to understand is that many of the advanced aircraft add-ons use their own internal runway and navaid/waypoint databases instead of reading what is embedded in the sim platform's scenery bgls.  If you have a subscription to Navigraph or Aerosoft's navdata updates, these update the aircraft's database with current worldwide navigation data, but not what is in the scenery bgl.  What you see on your acft instrumentation in those advanced add-ons comes from its database.  What you see outside comes from the scenery data.  Add-on sceneries generally layer an airport bgl (aka ADE or AFCAD file) over the default and update the default scenery.

There are several options for updating the default scenery data, including the one Bobsk8 posted above, and the commercial fsaerodata product.  If you tend to fly to default sceneries, these are probably your best bet for keeping a reasonable amount of congruence between the scenery and the nav data (but some anomalies may still occur).  There are also a large number of free ADE/AFCAD airport files here in the AVSIM library, which affords you the opportunity to update scenery data for individual airfields.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

And it's important to recognize that even after you get your plane's navdata and the sim's navdata synced, there will still be issues to chase if you use the default ATC, which will do annoying things like not realize a runway has been removed, or get confused and think the airport has 3 times the number of runways it actually has, with the duplicates 1 degree off from each other.

It's rare that you'll encounter this, so it's still worth doing, but it's something to be aware of going in.

The earth is tipping over.  This means that the True North pole and the magnetic North pole are moving further apart. The difference between the two is magnetic variation and it is continually changing.  That means that runway heading and ILS course referenced to magnetic north are always changing.  When change enough, they repaint the runway and re-align the ILS course.  If the ILS is to a CAT II or CAT III runway, the ILS course must be within 1 degree of the runway's computed magnetic heading.  That is needed to support autoland and the crosswind alignment.  There was a big issue in the last few years in the Alaska and in the Western U.S. 

FSX and P3D original scenery databases are from 2006(?) and haven't changed.  There are several programs that will update the airport MagVar and ILS courses.  The best in my view is FSAerodata.  It's a payware, but it's worth it.  It uses the Navagraph database (subscription required) to update FSX and P3D with the latest worldwide data.  Here's the link:

https://www.fsaerodata.com/

Hope this helps.

Rich

• Upvote 1

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Hello Rich, question:
When i buy "fsaerodata" then i can delete all AFCAD-Files from MyTraffic,
so all default Airports will be updated with new runways, taxiways and also parking areas?

4 hours ago, w6kd said:

One thing that's important to understand is that many of the advanced aircraft add-ons use their own internal runway and navaid/waypoint databases instead of reading what is embedded in the sim platform's scenery bgls.  If you have a subscription to Navigraph or Aerosoft's navdata updates, these update the aircraft's database with current worldwide navigation data, but not what is in the scenery bgl.  What you see on your acft instrumentation in those advanced add-ons comes from its database.  What you see outside comes from the scenery data.  Add-on sceneries generally layer an airport bgl (aka ADE or AFCAD file) over the default and update the default scenery.

There are several options for updating the default scenery data, including the one Bobsk8 posted above, and the commercial fsaerodata product.  If you tend to fly to default sceneries, these are probably your best bet for keeping a reasonable amount of congruence between the scenery and the nav data (but some anomalies may still occur).  There are also a large number of free ADE/AFCAD airport files here in the AVSIM library, which affords you the opportunity to update scenery data for individual airfields.

Regards

Thank you for the reply’s everyone. I use default airports and some planes runways don’t lineup and are in the wrong location. Will the link that Bobsk8 posted help with having the plane and my scenery line up? I just want my plane to display the correct runway location and number as the sim.

3 hours ago, richjb2 said:

The earth is tipping over.  This means that the True North pole and the magnetic North pole are moving further apart. The difference between the two is magnetic variation and it is continually changing.  That means that runway heading and ILS course referenced to magnetic north are always changing.  When change enough, they repaint the runway and re-align the ILS course.  If the ILS is to a CAT II or CAT III runway, the ILS course must be within 1 degree of the runway's computed magnetic heading.  That is needed to support autoland and the crosswind alignment.  There was a big issue in the last few years in the Alaska and in the Western U.S. 

FSX and P3D original scenery databases are from 2006(?) and haven't changed.  There are several programs that will update the airport MagVar and ILS courses.  The best in my view is FSAerodata.  It's a payware, but it's worth it.  It uses the Navagraph database (subscription required) to update FSX and P3D with the latest worldwide data.  Here's the link:

https://www.fsaerodata.com/

Hope this helps.

Rich

Will this help with having the runways shown in the plane lineup with the sim?

The more I think about it, the more I would say no.  If the runway numbering is off, you’ll need to change that in the scenery file. For that, you need to download updated scenery for the airport or use one of the scenery editors.   FSAerodata will only update the NAVAID and the airport MagVar.  

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS