Sign in to follow this  
enrico10999

Hyper-Threading ON or OFF ???

Hi

I have a question about Hyper-Threading ON or OFF in P3DV4.4?

Here are my specs:

I7 6700K on Asus Maximus VIII Motherboard

Geforce 2080 

LG 43 Zoll 4k Monitor via Displayport

P3D V4.4

PMGD 737 / 777 / 747

Here is my Question: 

When I switched last week to the 4k Monitor I locked  the frame rate to 30 fps (1/2 refresh rate)  in the Nvidia Inspector 

and tried some tweaking in the cfg file:

[DISPLAY]
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=160

[SCENERY]
MaxRegionsPurgePerFrame=1

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=85

[TERRAIN]
UseGlobalTerrainView=True
TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9

The Settings in OPTIONS/GRAPHICS all mainly all 1 Step under Maximum.

The AffinityMask=85 is meant to be used with HT on.

But then I turned off the Hyper-Threading in the BIOS and changed it to AffinityMask=15.

The Prozessor is now running with 70% and the GPU with 30% and average 1515 MHz (sometimes 1800-1900 MHz) 

in 4K single Monitor 30 fps locked.

How are your experiences with HT ON or OFF?

Do you have any advices for the tweaks & settings?

Greetings Erik

22 minutes ago, enrico10999 said:

Hi

I have a question about Hyper-Threading ON or OFF in P3DV4.4?

Here are my specs:

I7 6700K on Asus Maximus VIII Motherboard

Geforce 2080 

LG 43 Zoll 4k Monitor via Displayport

P3D V4.4

PMGD 737 / 777 / 747

Here is my Question: 

When I switched last week to the 4k Monitor I locked  the frame rate to 30 fps (1/2 refresh rate)  in the Nvidia Inspector 

and tried some tweaking in the cfg file:

[DISPLAY]
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=160

[SCENERY]
MaxRegionsPurgePerFrame=1

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=85

[TERRAIN]
TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9

The Settings in OPTIONS/GRAPHICS all mainly all 1 Step under Maximum.

The AffinityMask=85 is meant to be used with HT on.

But then I turned off the Hyper-Threading in the BIOS and changed it to AffinityMask=15.

The Prozessor is now running with 70% and the GPU with 30% and average 1515 MHz (sometimes 1800-1900 MHz) 

in 4K single Monitor 30 fps locked.

How are your experiences with HT ON or OFF?

Do you have any advices for the tweaks & settings?

Greetings Erik

This is very system dependent.  My recommendation with that CPU is to run with HT enabled.  Try a few different affinity mask values and see what works best.  I would also start with a fresh config file.  Do not change anything in it except affinity mask till you have a smooth sim.  Lock your frames to 30-33 FPS.  

Matt Wilson

My last quad-core was a 7700K, and I found that HT on with an affinity mask of 245 worked well.  That keeps core 0 and 1 confined to a single virtual CPU, and allows texture loading etc on both virtual CPUs on cores 2-3.

But yes, system and configuration dependent.  YMMV

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I keep HT off. And since P3Dv4 no tweaking of Prepar3D.cfg. Sim is smooth running. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Edited by BillS511

Off - reason is can now run stable at 5ghz instead of 4.5ghz with less heat on 7700k

No FSX like tweaks are required on P3D 4.4 including AM.

Cheers
bs

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

HT off for quads 

HT on for 6+cores with Using affinitymask to assign physical cores

For me...

No HT
No Invidia Inspector
No cfg tweaks but one - added maximum trees and agn buildings

Ben very happy with my mid-end (as opposed to a high-end), PC system.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

It depends on how many cores your CPU has.

For a quad core, HT ON.

Hexacore, octacore,  HT OFF.

V4.4 is actually pretty good at distributing CPU workload, out of the box.

(and I know that some will argue that Windows takes care of that.. etc)

Also, affinity masks are of less value since V4.4 came out.. LM is doing a pretty good job :wink:  No real need for tweaks any more, in my experience.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

All the above answers are why it's PC dependent. Every PC runs diffrently. Sadly you have to try different setting from HT ON or OFF and what AM works for your system. It's a mind field and time costly.

No point in saying what works on my 4 core as I have spent hours getting P3D working as it does. It also well might not work on yours. Sorry, it's all about trial and sees what works for you. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Mine ran the same either on or off FPS wise and didn't notice any difference with AutoGen loading.  Slightly warmer with HT on, but only a 2*C difference.

Because I use my system for other tasks and games that use HT effectively, I keep mine on.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Hi, thanks for your answers! 

With HT OFF I did a flight from EDDT to EDDF (ORBX Germany North & South) and got some blurry textures in the scenery on approach, not the airport. 

So I went back to HT ON, and deleted some of my custom made entries in the cfg. 

The only one is custom made entry actually :

TERRAIN]
TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9

In the moment the system runs stable at 30 fps, HT ON, CPU 60-90%, GPU 30% 1515 MHz.

Thanks for help!

Erik

4 minutes ago, enrico10999 said:

Hi, thanks for your answers! 

With HT OFF I did a flight from EDDT to EDDF (ORBX Germany North & South) and got some blurry textures in the scenery on approach, not the airport. 

So I went back to HT ON, and deleted some of my custom made entries in the cfg. 

The only one is custom made entry actually :

TERRAIN]
TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9

In the moment the system runs stable at 30 fps, HT ON, CPU 60-90%, GPU 30% 1515 MHz.

Thanks for help!

Erik

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 is redundant if you have High Res Terrain Textures set to ON in the main P3D graphics panel.  Happy you have it running well!  :smile:

ps.. you can leave it in, does not hurt..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

I just figured I'd share that we've had numerous conversations (threads) here on AVSIM on this topic each year since around 2009, and I've contributed to those threads.  They contain some terrific information, and of course that information isn't going to change so it's still valid.

Best wishes!

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

21 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I just figured I'd share that we've had numerous conversations (threads) here on AVSIM on this topic each year since around 2009, and I've contributed to those threads.  They contain some terrific information, and of course that information isn't going to change so it's still valid.

Best wishes!

Dave, that is certainly true, but LM is continuing to develop/change P3D, with each release behaving differently from the previous.. so I would caution folks against taking the "old wisdom" and applying it to V4.4.  :wink:

Bert