Sign in to follow this  

1 hour ago, rjfry said:

I have a Logitech flight yoke and throttle and switch panel which I purchased not long ago for £123 the lot brand new on amazon, a top class flight stick would cost more.  

no disagreement on that point....hence pointing out to people that if you do buy this stuff and wearable items are to go south you can not buy parts and will have to replace the entire thing....

Les O'Reilly

Just replaced my Saitek Yoke after 13 years of use. It so happened that the Quadrant was acting erratic at the same time so I replaced them both. I have two extra quadrants that I purchased about 11 years ago and they are still working very well. I also have used my X52 flightstick  for over 11 years with absolutely no problems. I think we sometimes forget that if a manufacturer made a product that lasted forever they would soon be out of business due to the limited number of people who use a flight simulator.  Give the manufacturers some credit for producing the equipment at a reasonable price. Love our hobby!

John Edwards

11 minutes ago, jedwards said:

Just replaced my Saitek Yoke after 13 years of use. It so happened that the Quadrant was acting erratic at the same time so I replaced them both. I have two extra quadrants that I purchased about 11 years ago and they are still working very well. I also have used my X52 flightstick  for over 11 years with absolutely no problems. I think we sometimes forget that if a manufacturer made a product that lasted forever they would soon be out of business due to the limited number of people who use a flight simulator.  Give the manufacturers some credit for producing the equipment at a reasonable price. Love our hobby!

John Edwards

I do not disagree....Nor did I state they are bad products or don't last.......

I am merely pointing out that now that Saitek is part of Logitech you can not get replacement parts but rather have to buy the entire thing again.  They are not "malfunctioning" they are not "operationally" inadequate.  Simply a plastic piece has broken and my only way to "replace" this one piece is to buy an entire TQ for 80 Dollars.......

So for those that read this post it is a warning about the fact that this is now the case.

Les O'Reilly

5 minutes ago, LesOReilly said:

It so happened that the Quadrant was acting erratic at the same time so I replaced them both.

Did you save them?  The OP might be able to salvage the part he needs.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 hours ago, fppilot said:

Did you save them?  The OP might be able to salvage the part he needs.

I am the OP :). 

Les O'Reilly

Les, I am willing to remove a lever from the old quadrant and send it to you, how would we go about it?

1 hour ago, LesOReilly said:

I am the OP :). 

LOL.  I was quoting "jedwards" but did so from within your message where you quoted him.  Didn't notice the quote instead referenced you.  He recently replaced two quadrants that went bad.. 

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Hello all,

I just caught this topic, a little late I know, but one thing stood out for me.

"Saitek/Logitech produce a category of products designed to be disposable. Anything of quality is generally orders of magnitude more expensive. You enter into a purchase agreement understanding that basic fact."

I have to say that I did not sign any purchase agreement and I was putting up a fair amount of money for a product which I thought was "reasonable" and did not ever consider as disposable. We all know that things wear out, but I look at it in the same context as buying a new car. Eventually. it is going to need replacement but in no way should it be considered disposable.

There are other comments along these "disposable/cheap"  lines which, to me, indicate some degree of acceptance of this fact. I have to say that I disagree vehemently with this. As an aged pensioner, all my money is necessarily spent after considerable  forethought. I do not, and I assume most people don't, conciously spend over two hundred dollars on something that is either junk, or that one knows he will have to throw away after a short period of time.

I invested in the Saitek yoke, two throttle quadrants, rudder pedals, and a trim wheel. This was purchased from Amazon and cost me well over AUD1000.00 to get them into Indonesia. I have to say that even at that price I have been largely happy with them all.  However, at this time I have a problem with both quadrants and not the usual (youtube covered) cleaning of the potentiometers. My problem with both is with the PC board enclosed in the package. I know for sure that I cannot replace them so I am looking elsewhere for a replacement (possibly CH Products 6 axis throttle quad) 

I also have the usual problem with the rudder problem (also youtube covered) and am in the throes of repairing that. 

So whilst I am having a small whinge, I have to bear in mind, firstly that these are now well over 7 years old, (I think fairly good value) and, that as previously mentioned, they are relatively cheap compared to other "quality" products on the market. YES, if I could afford it, I would be buying  the good quality products that others have mentioned and Saitek/Logitech would not enter the equation and therein lies the difference between dreams and reality.

Again, all of these comments are personal and not intended to inflame the topic in any way. The quote above is meant as an example and is NOT a passing shot across the bows at anyone.

Regards to all

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

3 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Hello all,

"Saitek/Logitech produce a category of products designed to be disposable. Anything of quality is generally orders of magnitude more expensive. You enter into a purchase agreement understanding that basic fact."

I have to say that I did not sign any purchase agreement and I was putting up a fair amount of money for a product which I thought was "reasonable" and did not ever consider as disposable. We all know that things wear out, but I look at it in the same context as buying a new car. Eventually. it is going to need replacement but in no way should it be considered disposable.

There are other comments along these "disposable/cheap"  lines which, to me, indicate some degree of acceptance of this fact. I have to say that I disagree vehemently with this. As an aged pensioner, all my money is necessarily spent after considerable  forethought. I do not, and I assume most people don't, conciously spend over two hundred dollars on something that is either junk, or that one knows he will have to throw away after a short period of time.

I invested in the Saitek yoke, two throttle quadrants, rudder pedals, and a trim wheel. This was purchased from Amazon and cost me well over AUD1000.00 to get them into Indonesia. I have to say that even at that price I have been largely happy with them all.  However, at this time I have a problem with both quadrants and not the usual (youtube covered) cleaning of the potentiometers. My problem with both is with the PC board enclosed in the package. I know for sure that I cannot replace them so I am looking elsewhere for a replacement (possibly CH Products 6 axis throttle quad) 

I also have the usual problem with the rudder problem (also youtube covered) and am in the throes of repairing that. 

So whilst I am having a small whinge, I have to bear in mind, firstly that these are now well over 7 years old, (I think fairly good value) and, that as previously mentioned, they are relatively cheap compared to other "quality" products on the market. YES, if I could afford it, I would be buying  the good quality products that others have mentioned and Saitek/Logitech would not enter the equation and therein lies the difference between dreams and reality.

Again, all of these comments are personal and not intended to inflame the topic in any way. The quote above is meant as an example and is NOT a passing shot across the bows at anyone.

Regards to all

Tony

Hi Tony,

Just an FYI but you could always open them up and remove the Boards in the TQs...I replaced those with just "port" pcbs with low cost tactile switches.  Cut them to fit into the space of the Buttons.

Disconnected all of the wires from the POTs and then ran them outside the back (drilled a decent size whole and pulled the wire that I connect to all the buttons and the POTs external to it.  Then connected them both up to a Leo Bodnar Board that has the 10 Bit Analog Axis.  This gave the Saitek TQs a range of 0-1024 instead of 255 so you do get finer control.

Since I had bought one of those throttle Box holders for 2 quads I was able to mount the Board under the Box and then to standoffs I glued to the Bottom...So it is no "Inside" the area of the plastic shell below the Quads.  You possibly could do the same to keep them going...

Les O'Reilly

Les,

Thanks you for that ... it gives me fresh hope.  FYI also, I think I have found a gentleman who may (?) be able to repair the boards here in Indonesia, and if so I may well follow that option. However, I have indeed heard great things about the Leo Bodnar boards and that is a GREAT option.  However, I do not have the expertise nor the steady hands required for that sort of a job and again, I would have to find someone who could do it for me.

I am in the dark about where to obtain the Leo PCB and all the other necessaries.

I wonder if you could possibly send me via PM some more detailed instructions and for that I would be very grateful.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

www.leobodnar.com           They are based in England   

Excellent pieces of kit, and simple to use via FSUIPC.  2 types of cards, BBI-64 Button Box Interface - £35 and the BUO836X 12 bit Joystick board £50

I have 4 BBI-64 and 2 BU0836 cards and never had a problem.

Cheers

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

6 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Hello all,

Regards to all

Tony

I'm just trying to point out that Saitek designed and incredibly cheap product, appearing decent out of the box and doing the job generally ok for those on a budget, but that's about it. I've heavily modified my Saitek yoke simply to improve general design flaws, and have had no issues up to this point. Also my quadrant and rudder pedals are still hanging in there. Opening the yoke, a simple brief analysis of the internal mechanisms, most would agree, screams text book planned obsolescence. I wish logitech would improve on this design because it has potential. But like others have said, its far too niche.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

delete

Edited by SolRayz
double post

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

15 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Les,

Thanks you for that ... it gives me fresh hope.  FYI also, I think I have found a gentleman who may (?) be able to repair the boards here in Indonesia, and if so I may well follow that option. However, I have indeed heard great things about the Leo Bodnar boards and that is a GREAT option.  However, I do not have the expertise nor the steady hands required for that sort of a job and again, I would have to find someone who could do it for me.

I am in the dark about where to obtain the Leo PCB and all the other necessaries.

I wonder if you could possibly send me via PM some more detailed instructions and for that I would be very grateful.

Regards

Tony

I will try to do a video of it one of these days...Doing a write up and posting photos is just easier in a video now.

As for the Leo Board -- I ordered from their website.

Switches and "Proto PCBs" I got from either Ali Express or Amazon.

Here is some examples -- These PCBs are easy to cut up with Tin Sheers or if you have a Dremel (I have one in a little holder "table") that also zips right through these.

https://www.amazon.ca/Haobase-Finished-Prototype-Circuit-Breadboard/dp/B015X8KAYO/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=prototype+pcb&qid=1552847533&s=gateway&sr=8-4

These switches come in a bulk group made it easy to get the correct size height for the buttons.  Originally I Tried to just wire to the buttons that were on the original PCB but that was painful and turn out quick just to cut up these PCBs and use new buttons.

https://www.amazon.ca/Ocr-10Value-Tactile-Momentary-Assortment/dp/B01NAJEVE3/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=tactile+switches&qid=1552847647&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Les

Les O'Reilly

Les,

Thanks again for that.

I have to say that just looking at those articles appears very daunting to me and I have no idea where I would start as I do not really possess any technical ability. 

I just know it would be easier, albeit, much much more expensive, to just purchase a new CH TQ6 at AUD279 approximately or just replace my two Saitek/Logitech for approximately AUD180.  I am just a little concerned if I go with the Logitech approach, that they will both be USB connections in lieu of my existing package which is one USB and one connected directly to the Saitek Yoke and I am unsure if this will play well with FS9/P3Dv4 combo. I know it will work with XPlane 11.

However, I still have the Technician option as well as yours which gives me three options.  I will definitely explore the technician fix first as I have nothing to lose with that and it would prove to be the cheapest option as well (if he can fix it of course).

For those with any technical ability, I would urge you to go ahead with your video as I see that as a big step in actually improving the Saitek controllers. I read somewhere a long time ago where someone replaced the Saitek potentiometers with Hall Effect sensors but I cannot seem to find that again. That, in combination with your fix, would really improve these quadrants significantly and there may actually be a small market for a packaged product for the fix. I don't know really, but I do feel that you may be on to something.

Anyway, I cannot express how much I value your contribution.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.