Sign in to follow this  

I signed up on the EVGA website for the email notification when they were in stock again. $999 for the Black 11GB RTX2080Ti. I sure hope this keeps me current for 3 or 4 years.

They're in stock if you've been considering one.  https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-2281-KR

Anyone want a GTX 1060 6Gb?

Edited by MDFlier

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

I bought the EVGA xc ultra rtx 2080ti last week. I came from a 1080ti and I was surprised to see that my 8700k clocked at 5.0 Ghz is now the bottleneck. 

You will like the card. There isn't any performance drop with dynamic lights and dynamic reflections anymore. I noticed I also don't lose any real performance going from 8x msaa to 4x ssaa. This is true for day and night. 

I run a 4k display.

• Like 1

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Its seem that the GPU bubble has finally burst!

1 hour ago, Avidean said:

Its seem that the GPU bubble has finally burst!

It's crazy though, on Newegg, 1080ti cards are as much as a 2080ti....I can't believe it!

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

I don't think the bubble will burst as much as we would like, my local hardware supply has had orders for AIB partner GPUs and they are coming in a trickle so much so that when they do arrive late the pre-orders wipe there stock, and speaking to one of the guys he thinks it is AIB partners way of not getting done over like they were with the 10 series.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Nvidia may drop a hint this week on the next GPU at GTC.

Raymond Fry.

It was an impulse purchase for sure. I've been building computers since the 80s in an attempt to get FSX to run smoothly. I've always spent all my money on CPUs and memory and motherboards trying to achieve that. I've always bought sub $300 video cards. The best one I've ever owned is my current GTX 1060  6Gb , so I've never had a top-of-the-line card before. The main reason I bought it was for the 11 gigs of vram. Of course now due to incredibly poor planning, I need to look into a new monitor. I suspect this new card would be overkill for my 1080p monitor. LOL

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

Nvidia to extend Ray Tracing to the present GTX GPUs, to hopefully encourage developers to implement RTX in to more game engines, as the present RTX cards are not selling as well as they thought and developers are not willing to implement something that has limited support from GPUs.

Raymond Fry.

On 3/19/2019 at 11:25 AM, MDFlier said:

Of course now due to incredibly poor planning, I need to look into a new monitor. I suspect this new card would be overkill for my 1080p monitor. LOL

It is indeed. Like running an Aston Martin in second gear. 😉

Invest in a 4K/UHD display. Either a TV with chroma 4:4:4 starting at 40” or if you don’t have the space, a 32” UHD monitor. I bought a BenQ. Other makes are available before anyone accuses me of pushing BenQ.

I can see every sub-division in every gauge in the PMDG737. Moving to 3840*2160 is a huge leap.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

And the gifts just keep on coming. Last night, I realized that I did not know what size power supply I had. Good thing I checked. 500W. That ain't going to cut it. The 2080Ti needs 650W. Looks like I'll be picking up a new 750W p/s this evening. Lol. Impulse purchases. Gotta love them. 

I'm familiar with BenQ. They've made high end displays for as long as I can remember. I'll be sure to take a look at them. 

Edited by MDFlier

EVGA loves me. After installing my brand spanking new EVGA Supernova G3 750W p/s ($102) and RTX 2080 Ti ($1k), I am thrilled. P3D runs very smooth pretty much everywhere. I'm CPU bound again though. My 15-8600K is running above 95% on 5 cores, and at around 80% on core 0.

That being said, I've built at least a dozen systems chasing decent FSX (and now P3D) performance. Most of the time, the upgrades brought underwhelming performance gains, but gains nonetheless. The i5-8600K was the first processor that actually felt to me like it was "handling" the job. I've always had mid-tier GPUs (GTX250, 750Ti, and 1060) as I could never stomach the thought of paying over $300 for a GPU. I have no idea why I felt compelled to do it this time, but I am so glad that I did.

I just did a night approach to KBWI rwy 28 via the RAVNN6 STAR in heavy thunderstorms (for the first time ever, the rain going past the airplane looked "right"!) in the NGX. I let it autoland. There were a couple of minor stutters, but nothing I can't live with (and I'm sure they were CPU related). With 8xSSAA, the landing lights look fantastic on the runway. There are no more shimmering, ugly textures. I rolled off the runway and up to the gate and everything was fluid. All of the airport and GSX vehicles moved smoothly. It was just... perfect.

There will be no buyer's remorse from me. I have finally accepted the fact that we need a computer in a computer just for graphics these days.

Too bad I have a date tonight. I'd love to keep flying. Maybe I should call her and tell her I need to wash my hair?

Edited by MDFlier
sppelling eror

On 3/16/2019 at 11:10 AM, ahsmatt7 said:

I bought the EVGA xc ultra rtx 2080ti last week. I came from a 1080ti and I was surprised to see that my 8700k clocked at 5.0 Ghz is now the bottleneck. 

You will like the card. There isn't any performance drop with dynamic lights and dynamic reflections anymore. I noticed I also don't lose any real performance going from 8x msaa to 4x ssaa. This is true for day and night. 

I run a 4k display.

When I originally read your reply my thoughts were, "God, I hope he is right.". I am happy to report that you were spot on.

I just did a 6AM flight from BWI to CLT in thunderstorms in the NGX. I never saw a single stutter. 8xSSAA is an absolute must for DL. The runways and taxiways at CLT look terrible under anything less. At 8xSSAA, they look pretty darn good. I loaded up the SWA NGX at one of the gates at MCO. They have small lakes all around, and I noticed that you can actually see the reflection of your airplane in the water at the right angles. AI are vampires, though. No reflections. There's probably an option for that.

Well, I'm okay with being CPU bound for now. I can live with some of the settings turned down a little if I have to. Even turned back a little, what I'm seeing is so much better than anything I've ever had before that I can cruise at this altitude for a bit. It is exciting to know that my next CPU upgrade will be unlocking so much more. So far, the 2080Ti doesn't seem to be breaking a sweat. I've only seen about 5700Mb or so max vram usage, and GPU usage is in the 50-58% range. Keep in mind that I'm still only running 1920x1080, so I'm not really pushing it yet. At this point, trying to go 4k would require more CPU, so I'm just going to enjoy this for a while before I go making myself spend more money. This is the best sim experience I've ever had.

I give 2 thumbs up for this card. At $999, it cost about the same as some of the CPU/MB/Ram combinations I've thrown at flight sim in the past (including the extra $200 over budget for misc parts that always end up being required after you get started). The i5-8600k and RTX2080Ti combo is the first I've had that actually far exceeds acceptable levels. I know that it is not very good from an overclocking perspective, but I still recommend it. I've never OC'd a GPU anyway.

49 minutes ago, MDFlier said:

So far, the 2080Ti doesn't seem to be breaking a sweat. I've only seen about 5700Mb or so max vram usage, and GPU usage is in the 50-58% range. Keep in mind that I'm still only running 1920x1080, so I'm not really pushing it yet. At this point, trying to go 4k would require more CPU, so I'm just going to enjoy this for a while before I go making myself spend more money. This is the best sim experience I've ever had.

Increasing resolution will put the demand on the GPU, not the CPU. You’ll be okay running 4K with your current CPU. The benefits of 4K are so enormous. If you find fps are a little on the low side just move some sliders that rely on the CPU to the left. The sliders relying on GPU can be all the way to the right.

But yes, long-term you need an i7-8700 or better.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
  • Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Watched a YouTube Video not long ago of a 1080 and 2080ti GPU running P3Dv4 not as big a jump as I thought.

Raymond Fry.