Sign in to follow this  

On 3/23/2019 at 4:04 PM, MDFlier said:

When I originally read your reply my thoughts were, "God, I hope he is right.". I am happy to report that you were spot on.

I just did a 6AM flight from BWI to CLT in thunderstorms in the NGX. I never saw a single stutter. 8xSSAA is an absolute must for DL. The runways and taxiways at CLT look terrible under anything less. At 8xSSAA, they look pretty darn good. I loaded up the SWA NGX at one of the gates at MCO. They have small lakes all around, and I noticed that you can actually see the reflection of your airplane in the water at the right angles. AI are vampires, though. No reflections. There's probably an option for that.

Well, I'm okay with being CPU bound for now. I can live with some of the settings turned down a little if I have to. Even turned back a little, what I'm seeing is so much better than anything I've ever had before that I can cruise at this altitude for a bit. It is exciting to know that my next CPU upgrade will be unlocking so much more. So far, the 2080Ti doesn't seem to be breaking a sweat. I've only seen about 5700Mb or so max vram usage, and GPU usage is in the 50-58% range. Keep in mind that I'm still only running 1920x1080, so I'm not really pushing it yet. At this point, trying to go 4k would require more CPU, so I'm just going to enjoy this for a while before I go making myself spend more money. This is the best sim experience I've ever had.

I give 2 thumbs up for this card. At $999, it cost about the same as some of the CPU/MB/Ram combinations I've thrown at flight sim in the past (including the extra $200 over budget for misc parts that always end up being required after you get started). The i5-8600k and RTX2080Ti combo is the first I've had that actually far exceeds acceptable levels. I know that it is not very good from an overclocking perspective, but I still recommend it. I've never OC'd a GPU anyway.

I concur with this.  Have a very similar system (8700K) at 4k and the 2080ti runs like a dream.  Whilst expensive, it has produced the best improvement in overall fluidity in every scenario that I have hithertoo been unable to achieve.  Boo on the wallet impact; Hooray! on sim performance :)

• Like 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

also pulled the trigger on a watercooled 2080ti.

so i have a titan Xp Star Wars Collectors edition for sale.

• Like 1

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

Wow!

Thanks to the OP for posting the link to EVGA's website. Once they notify you by email I figure you have maybe a 20 minutes to make the purchase. AND VISA blocked the purchase until I called and told them it was legit. Gotta move fast.

Bought the $1K Gaming Black with free shipping and no tax. 1.5% back from VISA. Cheapest I've seen it elsewhere is $1170.00 plus tax and sometimes shipping. I've also seen GTX 1080Ti for more than this RTX 2080Ti. These are not refurbished units ( at least my wasn't.)  And they're heavy

I've done a couple of flights and it's amazing how much better this video card is. I replaced a GTX 1070 which wasn't bad, but this RTX is SO MUCH BETTER. It's really too bad that you can't have both in there and switch between the two to watch the difference. I have two 28" monitors, primary is 4K for P3D, secondary is 1080p for EFB or LNM. Both are Samsung.

Now I've to figure out what Precision X1 is all about.

And oh, I read a review on Amazon where the reviewer started to smell burning plastic after starting up his computer. EVGA does a real nice job protecting the RTX 2080Ti and that includes a plastic wrap across the "face" of the card. It also bends around the sides and is really hard to get completely off. I'm guessing he didn't.

• Like 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Have now joined the dark side ready for V5.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

17 hours ago, rjfry said:

Have now joined the dark side ready for V5.

Be sure to let us know your impression. I see from your earlier post that you were doubtful as to the benefits vs the 1080ti..  

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

FPS not much difference mostly I candy, CPU is still king this will do me for now I will look at a motherboard and CPU at the end of the year.

PS I have not pushed this yet it will do 1755 boost.

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

14 minutes ago, rjfry said:

FPS not much difference mostly I candy, CPU is still king this will do me for now I will look at a motherboard and CPU at the end of the year.

PS I have not pushed this yet it will do 1755 boost.

Should do more than that.  My Palit 2080Ti says 1545 Boost on the tin, but goes up to 1910 quite happily with no encouragement from me 🙂

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

1 hour ago, kevinfirth said:

Should do more than that.  My Palit 2080Ti says 1545 Boost on the tin, but goes up to 1910 quite happily with no encouragement from me 🙂

It probably will that's just stock boost, I have not had chance to test it yet , I have a test flight I do for tweaking UK2000 EGKK with PMDG 747 out to the Thames estuary left over UK2000 EGLC over London ILS 27L UK2000 Heathrow ORBX UK, AI and road traffic very heavy on performance, I only have P3Dv4.4 no other sims on my PC.  

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

the boost is dynamic , voltage,temp table, power table, very hard to say max boost i test the boost clock at 3dmark time spy extreme gpu test 2 one of the hardest gpu tests out here.

yuo can see the difference with for example heaven thats light if it boost for example 1910 in heaven and time spy extreme you have probaly reach the max powertarget.

my 2080ti run at default boost table (no OC) boost 2100 in heaven and 2045 in time spy extreme test2, have done one safe 24/7 OC profile 2145boost/ 7850mem in 3DM TSE test2.

my 2080TI is kind of hard to find, it have its own XOC bios and a lot of options on the PCB , have some pics in my 9900k Z370 tread.

gamer nexus did a roundup as you see my Galax is very hard to find 

Hey all,

Hows the 2080’s going guys?

I’m putting a system together that will include a 2080, but after doing some research there seems to be many many problems with them and needed replacing.(with replacements failing also)

...kinda sat here not really knowing where to go..

Being the most expensive pc I’ve ever bought, I certainly don’t want to have to go through that.

Ive been to there forum, still reports as of today. Nvidea acknowledges there are problems, but are vague in any details.

Ive also been to the forums of the company that will be building it and supplying the parts.There was a customer with a new pc from them that had the problem. They bought the pc last Thursday. So that makes me think the bad one’s are still in circulation....

Hope you’ve all managed to get a good one! 

Thanks

Luke

Luke Pype

I have the EVGA 1080Ti FTW3.. the 2080Ti FTW3 from EVGA is much too expensive at 1400-1500 Euro in Germany. I had a GPU from each generation in the last years. This time will be most probably a skip. So well done Nvidia with the prices...they are still high after already some time from their launch, it was not the case for the 1080Ti. So lets see the next gen, what it will bring.

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD