Sign in to follow this  
Matt Piotrowski

Does 1/2 refresh rate work?

I have a 144hz monitor and I was thinking of using 60hz and 1/2 refresh rate with sim locked at 30 FPS? Does this work? Or should I just lock my sim at 30 FPS?

Edited by Matt Piotrowski

For me it seems smoother. 60hz locked to 30fps is smoother than a variable refresh above 30 FPS. If you can’t hold a constant 30 though then it will get a little choppy! 

Edited by djbully

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

5 minutes ago, djbully said:

For me it seems smoother. 60hz locked to 30fps is smoother than a variable refresh above 30 FPS. If you can’t hold a constant 30 though then it will get a little choppy! 

I’ve heard from some people that 1/2 refresh rate doesn’t work with p3d. Is that true?

29 minutes ago, Matt Piotrowski said:

I’ve heard from some people that 1/2 refresh rate doesn’t work with p3d. Is that true?

I believe it does not work since P3D is not true "full screen". It needs full screen to work. I have set my monitor to 30 Hz and have activated vsynch in P3D settings.

• Like 1

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

1 minute ago, Peter Webber said:

I believe it does not work since P3D is not true "full screen". It needs full screen to work. I have set my monitor to 30 Hz and have activated vsynch in P3D settings.

My monitor doesn’t go to 30hz.

I used just normal vsync, I don’t notice any input lag with it. It could just be placebo effect. But seems smoother locked at 30 I don’t use triple buffer. 

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

1/2 refresh rate works extremly well with my setup. I don't use NVI, I set half refresh rate in Nvidia Control Panel. The settings in P3D are:

VSync off

Triple Buffering unchecked

Unlimited

This eliminated most of the stutters I experienced when panning in outside view.

Be aware that you need to be able to render 30+ frames most of the time for this to be effective.

• Like 1

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

2 hours ago, Matt Piotrowski said:

I have a 144hz monitor and I was thinking of using 60hz and 1/2 refresh rate with sim locked at 30 FPS? Does this work? Or should I just lock my sim at 30 FPS?

It certainly does not work as it is supposed to work ie limit your P3D frame rate to half your monitor's refresh rate. As you see above there are claims that it does work in the sense of making P3D run better. Whether this is system dependent or just placebo, who knows. Just try it and see if there is any difference. My experience is that both the half refresh rate and adaptive Vsync settings do nothing.

With a 144 Hz monitor you might be better experimenting with "quarter refresh rate" in NI and 36 fps in P3D (144/4=36.)
Can you set your monitor to 36Hz refresh rate?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

It doesn’t work like it did in FSX as P3D uses a ‘false’ full screen so even when the window is maximised it’s actually running in windowed mode. FSX used a proper full screen but LM disabled this on grounds that it could be buggy. 

I fixed this by buying a monitor that could run at 30hz and this forces the frames to 30. 30fps is usually achievable most of the time with good hardware and sensible settings. One day we may be able to get 60fps as the lower limit, so there would be no need for the half refresh tweak.

With triple buffer on and frames to unlimited then as long as you can maintain 30fps the sim is very smooth. The smoothness comes from the fact that each frame is drawn within one refresh cycle of your monitor. 

Edited by Airline2Sim
  • Upvote 1

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

Maybe your display does do 30hz. But you should contact the manufacturers customer support to verify before you force it. Just because the display doesn't report it doesn't mean it won't do it. Make sure you contact the manufacturer first though by email and get a confirmation from them that its OK before you do it.

You would use NCP to create a custom resolution with a 30hz refresh rate.

My disclaimer is that if you monitor has a heart attack and dies its not my fault because I told you to contact the manufacturer to confirm it will work first.

Typically this warning is given when you want to apply a refresh rate above the displays maximum refresh rate. But you know!

I can't see there being a problem with sending a 30hz signal to a display that reports 60hz compatibility.

After you have confirmed by email with the display's manufacturer that sending a 30hz signal to the display will not damage it, you would tune you setting to deliver about 35fps with Frame Rate set to unlimited and Vsync off. Once you've done that turn on Vsync and you should see a smooth, constant and stutter free 30fps.

Running at unlimited frames is though on rendering sharp textures and autogen so your CPU will need to be up to the task otherwise you might see blurries and outrun autogen.😀

Edited by Guest

I have a 4K g-sync monitor that is native 60Hz.   I have been noticing some unwanted  autogen and lights popping and some blurries so I’ve been thinking about tweaking my monitor to help.  What would be the best route to adjust to help...????

A) turn off G-sync and limit frames at 30 in P3D

B) leave g-sync on and change monitor refresh to 30 Hz

i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz, ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING, 32GB DDR4 2666MHz, 750W EVGA SuperNOVA, 512GB Samsung 960 PRO, 1TB Western Digital - Black Edition
RTX 2080Ti (MSI trio), Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

12 hours ago, Matt Piotrowski said:

Hi Matt,

I too have a 144Hz monitor. I achieve very smooth results by reducing the monitor frequency to 120Hz (which is more than plenty for general usage) and locking P3D at 30fps (no VSync or TB). The rationale behind this is that a P3D frame will coincide with every 4th refresh of the monitor. Really quite surprised this technique isn’t adopted more widely by those of us who don’t have 30Hz capable monitors. However, as with other methods, it does rely on sufficient overhead being available, when needed, to maintain 30fps in P3D. That’s where switching custom Display profiles to suit particular flight situations comes into play.

Edit: G-Sync is NOT used for P3D as I have found results to be very inconsistent.

Regards,

Mike

There are plenty of HDTV that support 1080p at 30hz. That's what I used before moving to VR (Samsung Odyssey+)

The problem with setting your Frame Rate to 30fps is that the P3D Frame Rate Limited has a huge overhead. I have always found that if I tune the sim to run above 30fps with Vsync off and Frame rate set to Unlimited, that with the exact same display setting, setting the Frame rate to 30 nearly always delivers an actual FPS well below 30. That's with FTFF=0.33 which is default. If you set FFTF to zero you'll get your 30fps but you will also get blurry textures and in some cases no autogen. I suppose with Dynamic fibertime or what ever it's called this can be addresses but that's the reason I never found setting the Frame rate to 30 in P3D display setting worked well.

Edited by Guest