Sign in to follow this  
Matt Piotrowski

Does 1/2 refresh rate work?

Matt, so you are now externally locked to 30 and internally have set unlimited with Sync off and TB off, right?

What is the FPS count you get when not externally synced, nor internally?

This then gives a hint it the use of FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION or MIN_FIBER_TIME_SEC makes sense.

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

23 minutes ago, Matt Piotrowski said:

No.

For me at least, HT on with a suitable affinity mask works best, try to leave 4 threads or so free for windows non p3d stuff to use. Also assign any mods/addons to different threads to p3d. 

I have not used 4.4 yet though, and it is supposed to be better in that regard to 4.3. So that may no longer be relevant....

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

He uses HT off.

You have a 4 core CPU, Matt, right?

Matt, I think you can try to dedicate a minimum amount of milliseconds to terrain loading by experimenting with MIN_FIBER_TIME_SEC. I would try:

MIN_FIBER_TIME_SEC=0.015 down to

MIN_FIBER_TIME_SEC=0.05

You have to add this in the Prepar3D.cfg in the    [MAIN]   section.

It is said that those tweeks (FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION, MIN_FIBER_TIME_SEC and MAX_FIBER_TIME_SEC) have minimal effect on multicore CPUs. But I saw an explanation of a P3D software architekt answering to a qustion from a user running a 4790K. This can be found here (2nd post):

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120133

8 hours ago, Matt Piotrowski said:

I tried turning HT off and I get blurry terrain but my sim runs better. Any way to fix the blurry terrain?

Yes, turn HT on again.

Bert

17 hours ago, LecLightning56 said:

One further thing, Matt, is that you should keep Riva Tuner Statistics Server running once having set the frame rate. In order to set frame rate in RTSS, enter e.g. 30 in the appropriate box which will flash, press enter to select it and then minimize RTSS (do not close it down). RTSS runs in the background and you will find that the frame rate stays locked in P3D (although of course set as unlimited in P3D itself).

I have used this exact same setup for a while now. RTS works at a different level than NVI resulting in a micro-stutter free environment.

11 hours ago, SteveW said:

If we mess around with the full-screen exclusive mode viewport we can perhaps see tearing if there is no vertical synchronisation.

The thing to note about P3D is that VSync = On in P3D Display settings is not the vertical synchronisation we associate with monitor behaviour.

P3D Vsync = On obtains the refresh rate setting of the monitor and arranges each frame to be output near that frequency. So we see typically wobbling around that frequency.. We do not see a cap it is not a limit. We see the wobble because frames take differing times to complete.

OK, so if we use Vsync ON in P3D, does it make sense to also set vsync on in NVI, or leave it at Application Controlled?

• Like 1

Bert

54 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

OK, so if we use Vsync ON in P3D, does it make sense to also set vsync on in NVI, or leave it at Application Controlled?

Good question I asked myself many times ))

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Good question I asked myself many times ))

I would set VSync as ‘Application Controlled’ in NCP. I believe NI tends to reflect settings made in NCP and vice versa.

Mike

• Like 1

Unlimited - don't hold back the engine.

Cheers
bs

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

The best way to go with P3D settings: Use any settings in P3D that exist there, and then go to the GPU control panel to make further settings.

Generally, settings in the GPU panels will override the applications own settings. Overriding can lead to possible problems or performance related issues since making the settings in apps may also slightly modify the way the app works with those settings. Setting elsewhere can leave the game unaware and behave differently. It's just a possibility so the precaution is to adhere to in-game settings primarily.

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

1 minute ago, bean_sprout said:

Unlimited - don't hold back the engine.

Cheers
bs

When the game runs at unlimited, it's not so bad. But if that means making frames above the monitor refresh frequency those frames are simply lost to heat. Better to add VSync=on to that Unlimited setting on the slider. Setting VSync=Off is a test mode to see just what the possible frame rate can achieve.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com