Sign in to follow this  
Matt Piotrowski

Does 1/2 refresh rate work?

1 minute ago, SteveW said:

When the game runs at unlimited, it's not so bad. But if that means making frames above the monitor refresh frequency those frames are simply lost to heat. Better to add VSync=on to that Unlimited setting on the slider. Setting VSync=Off is a test mode to see just what the possible frame rate can achieve.

What settings do you recommend I do with a 144hz monitor?

1 hour ago, Matt Piotrowski said:

I went back to 144hz and no frame limit with HT on and I have blurry ground textures for some reason. 

You are overloading what your cpu can handle.  If you must run unlimited, for testing purposes at least, if it were me I would lower cpu-intensive settings until I didn't get blurries.

Running unlimited is telling your sim to devote most resources to frame rate -- at the expense of texture loading.  Some can run unlimited just fine -- it depends on other cpu-intensive settings (autogen, mainly) as well as what cpu (gen)/speed/# of cores etc. they run.  With a 4-core I would imagine you would get best results with HT=on, but every setup is different.

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

2 minutes ago, Matt Piotrowski said:

What settings do you recommend I do with a 144hz monitor?

Is your monitor able to run any other refresh rate?

Rhett

Just now, Mace said:

Is your monitor able to run any other refresh rate?

My monitor can run 120hz, 60hz, and 24hz, I tried 30 but it won't which sucks.

6 minutes ago, Matt Piotrowski said:

My monitor can run 120hz, 60hz, and 24hz, I tried 30 but it won't which sucks.

Have you tried 120 hz, with an in-sim framelock of 30, with lower autogen settings for testing purposes (like normal, normal, and a lower autogen radius)?

• Upvote 1

Rhett

32 minutes ago, Mace said:

Have you tried 120 hz, with an in-sim framelock of 30, with lower autogen settings for testing purposes (like normal, normal, and a lower autogen radius)?

I will test this and let you know.

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

When the game runs at unlimited, it's not so bad. But if that means making frames above the monitor refresh frequency those frames are simply lost to heat. Better to add VSync=on to that Unlimited setting on the slider. Setting VSync=Off is a test mode to see just what the possible frame rate can achieve.

To follow on to Steve's excellent advice..

Based on what was discussed earlier in this thread, I tried the RTSS frame limiter at 30, as an alternative to VSync=on in P3D.

I believe it is smoother on my system.  :smile:

If you have not tried it, download a copy, run it and if nothing is visible, find the running app in your systems tray and click on it to make the GUI visible.

Add an option for prepar3d.exe and set the framerate lock to 30 by clicking on the up and down arrows.

If you have Unlimited set in P3D and VSync off, this will lock at 30 which you see in P3D by clicking shift-Z twice.

Read this:

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/12/

Download link for RTSS in the article.

• Like 2

Bert

37 minutes ago, Matt Piotrowski said:

I will test this and let you know.

If it doesn't work well, you might look at what Bert posted above.  I am not a G-Sync user so what works for me, may not work for you.

Rhett

Continued from above..

So, RTSS seems to do the job nicely.. but there is one catch compared to NVI  (Steve, are you listening?)

If I use NVI to lock the frames at 30 (frame rate limiter 2 option), my CPU usage on Core0 drops by almost half.. If I use RTSS, Core0 usage stays at 100%.

I like running with less than 100% usage, but who knows  maybe something useful is being accomplished by running flat out.. :unsure:

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

SO, .. where to from here?

I can limit framerates at 30 in NVI which is where I started.. seems smooth, and CPU usage on Core0 reduced..

OR, based on advice above, I can limit framerates at 30 in RTSS instead.. smoother, maybe.. not sure.. but Core0 running flat out..

OR, I can just limit at 30 in P3D itself.. certainly easier.. seems just as smooth and Core0 still running flat out..

Confused  :unsure:

Maybe I'll just go back to NVI where I started..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

32 minutes ago, Mace said:

If it doesn't work well, you might look at what Bert posted above.  I am not a G-Sync user so what works for me, may not work for you.

I am not a G-Sync user either.. that just appeared in the title.. :wink:

Bert

5 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I am not a G-Sync user either.. that just appeared in the title.. :wink:

I tried limiting to 30 fps in p3d and it's not smooth at all for me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

SO, .. where to from here?

I can limit framerates at 30 in NVI which is where I started.. seems smooth, and CPU usage on Core0 reduced..

OR, based on advice above, I can limit framerates at 30 in RTSS instead.. smoother, maybe.. not sure.. but Core0 running flat out..

OR, I can just limit at 30 in P3D itself.. certainly easier.. seems just as smooth and Core0 still running flat out..

Confused  :unsure:

Maybe I'll just go back to NVI where I started..

Would they be equally smooth in a very high load scenario?  My guess is that the Core0 at 100% would not be as smooth in high-load.

RTSS is really interesting.  RTSS description says it is doing a frame lock very early in the render process, whereas NVI, it says, frame limits later.

Rhett

7 minutes ago, Matt Piotrowski said:

I tried limiting to 30 fps in p3d and it's not smooth at all for me.

Did you reduce your monitor frequency to 120Hz?

Mike