Sign in to follow this  
Matt Piotrowski

Does 1/2 refresh rate work?

When HT mode is enabled, when one LP says 100% - that entire core is at 100%. If both LPs of a core show 100% - those LPs are at 50% each.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

For those still struggling to understand Hyperthreading, maybe the video from Intel (below) will help?

Best wishes!

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/hyper-threading/hyper-threading-technology-video.html

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

To increase fps you need to be sure to move any work possible from the critical core. That means also removing any work from the sister LP of the critical core in HT mode. In HT mode with no AM that critical core will be loaded on the sister LP with another main P3D task, so use an '01' in the AM for the critical core in HT mode. Corral addons onto the last few cores with their own affinity setting or start with a .bat or program that starts app in an affinity space. To also increase fps you need to slicken up the background process - too many LPs will slow that down you need the right amount. If you only have four cores that's all you have. Ten core CPUs don't allocate all the LPs or it will not be so good. Find the number of cores that load the scenario the fastest. That and the other advice I have given is the motherload. Don't be shy about liking those posts - give credit where it is due.

What AM do you recommend for a 4770k.

2 hours ago, SteveW said:

To increase fps you need to be sure to move any work possible from the critical core. That means also removing any work from the sister LP of the critical core in HT mode. In HT mode with no AM that critical core will be loaded on the sister LP with another main P3D task, so use an '01' in the AM for the critical core in HT mode.

OK,  so latest attempt... Quad core Haswell CPU (4770K@4.2 with HT on).

AM=254  (10 on first core,  11 11 11 10)

P3D set to Unlimited fps, Vsync Off

RTSS set to 30 fps

Seems to hold 30 fps even in quite dense scenery (FTX Nanaimo Waterfront is my test case..)

Very smooth all the way... I am going to keep this setting for a while :smile:

Thank you, Steve!

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

2 minutes ago, Matt Piotrowski said:

See my post above.. try 254 with HT on.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

3 minutes ago, Matt Piotrowski said:

Actually, depends on whether  you have Hyperthreading enabled or not.

I run a 4770k, and I run several heavy hitting software titles alongside P3D as well as 100% payware aircraft and scenery, in other words... I push my system much harder than even those running such software.  I don't use AF, at all.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

2 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

See my post above.. try 254 with HT on.

Thank you for the help. I will test.

Edited by Matt Piotrowski

33 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

AM=254  (01 on first core)

RTSS set to 30 fps

Seems to hold 30 fps even in quite dense scenery (FTX Nanaimo Waterfront is my test case..)

Thank you, Steve!

1. Monitor 4K?

2. 60hz or 30hz refresh rate?

3. Do you start addon apps like wx with affinity? I use FC (11 11 11 00)

I just downloaded and setup RTSS to give this setup a try.

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

32 minutes ago, bbuckley said:

1. Monitor 4K?

2. 60hz or 30hz refresh rate?

3. Do you start addon apps like wx with affinity? I use FC (11 11 11 00)

I just downloaded and setup RTSS to give this setup a try.

Monitor 1080p @ 60Hz

No addon apps other than RTSS

Edit:

Actually, my addon GPS is assigned to the third core (00 00 01 00)

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 3

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Monitor 1080p @ 60Hz

No addon apps other than RTSS

Edit:

Actually, my addon GPS is assigned to the third core (00 00 01 00)

Just one quick test flight without collecting any CPU / GPU data, just watching framerate and this looks pretty good for my setup (below). Need to try some more flights. Currently AM 254, addons start in bat with FC (including RTSS), FSUIPC and LUAs on FC, VSYNCH OFF, no TripleBuffering, Frames UNLIMITED P3D, 30 in RTSS.

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

3 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

AM=254  (10 on first core,  11 11 11 10)

RTSS set to 30 fps

Thank you, Steve!

Bert, so you think RTSS set to 30 fps works a little better than NVI set to 29.5 fps? Anyhow, important is that you believe they both actually succeed in limiting P3Dv4 gfx engine to churn out internally just about 30 fps and not more, that is without generating extra heat due to Unlimited fps setting in P3Dv4's GUI?

I'm also asking this to figure out how to stifle XP11 on fps properly.

Thanks,

Dirk. 

45 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Bert, so you think RTSS set to 30 fps works a little better than NVI set to 29.5 fps? Anyhow, important is that you believe they both actually succeed in limiting P3Dv4 gfx engine to churn out internally just about 30 fps and not more, that is without generating extra heat due to Unlimited fps setting in P3Dv4's GUI?

I'm also asking this to figure out how to stifle XP11 on fps properly.

Thanks,

Dirk. 

I am not sure that I can answer that.. I am comparing NVI at 30 to RTSS at 30 only.

The load on the first P3D core is definitely higher with RTSS, so I would assume that translates into heat.

However, the sim just feels smoother overall with fewer micro stutters or hickups.. just very smooth.

I'll keep flying it this way for a while..  So far, I am quite happy with the overall effect.

• Like 1

Bert

On 3/18/2019 at 1:53 AM, SteveW said:

It is because it is not a limiter. Instead of limiting, locking fps stores look-ahead frames and plays those back at exactly the right time, minus the slight delay in the buffer. SInce there's always a minor wobble the system will use up one frame of the look-ahead and will require replenishing to keep the buffer ahead. And so you need to see 60 at least with Unlimited+VSync=Off to use Locked at 30, maybe more.

If you get 100% CPU with RTSS limit on don't use it for that game it's not working right with the desktop mode.

Hi Steve,

First many thanks for the countless tips and technical information you're giving here on these forums!

Since the internal P3D limiter is not a real limiter, is it adviseable to use both the internal and an external limiter (like RTSS)? So say you have a 60hz refresh rate (because the monitor does not support a lower rate), I would then use RTSS to lock at say 29 or 29,5 and in P3D I would set the limiter at 29 (no fractions) with Vsync on + TB off. 

Kind regards,

• Like 1