Sign in to follow this  
Matt Piotrowski

Does 1/2 refresh rate work?

11 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Locked, VSync=On, or Capped.

Example primary fps to go for 144/5=28.8 so you can set locked at 72, 48, 36, 28, 24, 20, 18 with increased coincidence of the frames to refresh for slightly better result. But there's not a lot in it.

If the refresh can be set at 24 then Unlimited+VSync=On in P3D display settings should be good in the sim but not so good in general Windows desktop use. So it would be better used that way only in the sim.

The NVidia app allows custom monitor configs including refresh so it might be able to be set to say 36 in a profile, but they can be tricky to set up..

An external fps cap in the GPU control panel or an app should be tried with Unlimited fps on the slider VSync=Off.

So if I use 24hz do I need to limit my frames to 24 or just leave it unlimited?

On 3/19/2019 at 11:00 PM, Bert Pieke said:

It is actually not pegged at 100%, but running very close to 100% whereas using NVI as the framerate limiter, it is running around the 60% level.

Hi,

Yes exactly the same behavior with a 4790 @4.6 HT OFF, GTX1080,

- With NVI at 30 core 0 abut 60% and with RTSS at 30 core 0 at 100%.

I have difficulties to understand what is behind this fact. 

Cheers

Claude

Claude Troncy

12 hours ago, Matt Piotrowski said:

So if I use 24hz do I need to limit my frames to 24 or just leave it unlimited?

Yes if you set up the monitor for 24 Hz then set Unlimited+VSync=On in display settings. Or try locked 24, but that requires more power.

57 minutes ago, Claude Troncy said:

Hi,

Yes exactly the same behavior with a 4790 @4.6 HT OFF, GTX1080,

- With NVI at 30 core 0 abut 60% and with RTSS at 30 core 0 at 100%.

I have difficulties to understand what is behind this fact. 

Cheers

Claude

Could be a process occupying idle time on that LP, or the app causes the performance counter to be lost on that LP. Either way that is basically not correct operation. Unless it is actually really hammering the core for some reason that's not good either. I'll be able to check it out later.

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

Could be a process occupying idle time on that LP, or the app causes the performance counter to be lost on that LP. Either way that is basically not correct operation. Unless it is actually really hammering the core for some reason that's not good either. I'll be able to check it out later.

Steve, I look forward to your findings!

Remember, high usage on the first P3D core is what I observe with P3D running without an external frame limiter!   Does not matter if fps is locked, or unlimited in P3D.  Same behavior.

It is only NVI that cuts back the reported CPU Core load!

So, maybe the question should be asked the other way around:  What is it that NVI does, that RTSS does not do??

• Like 1

Bert

21 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

It is only NVI that cuts back the reported CPU Core load!

Bonsoir,

Yes, and I am sure it was not like that in older P3D version. I cannot see any obvious difference between NVI and RTSS in term of quality of display.

So the question is what is the extra 40% CPU in core 0 used for when NVI is not here ????

Claude

Edited by Claude Troncy

Claude Troncy

29 minutes ago, Claude Troncy said:

So the question is what is the extra 40% CPU in core 0 used for when NVI is not here ????

Or, by extension, what is it that does NOT get done when NVI is here  :unsure:

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Remember, high usage on the first P3D core is what I observe with P3D running without an external frame limiter!   Does not matter if fps is locked, or unlimited in P3D.  Same behavior.

Yes, obviously, if your settings are high then of course your CPU is high whatever your limit setting. You should still see times when it's not showing 100%. A limit is to save on throughput. The difference is that with RTSS the core does not appear to relax, it's always on the limit - in task manager.

Edited by SteveW

On 3/20/2019 at 2:42 AM, Bert Pieke said:

Simply flying with unlimited fps without an external frame limiter is as smooth as anything....

Well, it certainly has proven to be the case for me...

I guess it just goes to show us the universal conundrum for P3D settings... There is no simple answer or solution for every configuration, or system setup, it just doesn't exist at this point in time, and probably never will, given the massively huge number of variables involved.

37 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Or, by extension, what is it that does NOT get done when NVI is here  :unsure:

Yes that is the question.... or it could be "What is P3D doing with this 40% ? .... I hope not calculating things that are not displayed".😂

Edited by Claude Troncy

Claude Troncy

with my config .

- NVI 60fps  core 0 = ~100%
- NVI 40fps  core 0  = ~80%
- NVI 30fps core 0 = ~60%
- NVI 22fps core 0 = ~40%

By extension NVI 0fps core 0 = 0% that seems logical....😄 

Claude Troncy

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

Yes, obviously, if your settings are high then of course your CPU is high whatever your limit setting. You should still see times when it's not showing 100%. A limit is to save on throughput. The difference is that with RTSS the core does not appear to relax, it's always on the limit - in task manager.

Steve, you are missing my point... P3D without an external limiter behaves this way also.

Regardless of fps limit settings in P3D itself.

But NVI shows a different picture..  why?

and.. is that a good thing?

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

I thought the general consensus around here was that NVI isn't really necessary in P3D at all these days, and in some cases can even be counterproductive..??

I can only relate my own personal experience, but I don't use NVI with P3D v4.4 anymore, and have just a very few tweaks set in NVCP, and this has given me the best and smoothest performance with the highest frame rates under a wide variety of conditions. I didn't arrive at this conclusion casually, it came after months of testing and experimentation, but again, each system and setup is a world of it's own, so it's basically down to the individual P3D user to figure out what works best for them...

56 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Steve, you are missing my point... P3D without an external limiter behaves this way also.

Maybe I don't understand what you're getting at, that's as obvious as an obvious thing..

Here's the gig:

With P3D we can turn down settings and see that it's not 100% and with limiting P3D normally we see less CPU if settings allow. If settings are too high we naturally continue to see 100%. But with RTSS we only see 100%

I had a quick look:

RTSS is limiting the sim properly.

The CPU performance counters are showing near to 100 percent but is wavering so they appear intact.

There's no apparent process hogging the idle time, it's all P3D as far as I can tell so far. 

...the overhead pushing the 100% appears to be a threadwait situation whereby P3D is waiting to render but looks like no idle time to the counter.

To set up, find a compromise of settings to produce throughput below 100% around 90% max sat at your main gate should do.

Using the VSync+Unlimited at the refresh rate of 60 for example. Now add-in RTSS to limit at 59 or whatever is just below the mean frequency.

...Just in case of system differences, make sure to keep an eye on that 100% and watch for heat if the setup normally shows less than 100%...

Edited by SteveW