Sign in to follow this  
Matt Piotrowski

Does 1/2 refresh rate work?

During more messing around with it, I've seen it relent from the 100% when stopping RTSS and the sim, then restarting the sim and then starting the limiter after the sim is up and running. So it does look like P3D can become confused when the limiter is in use a sleep process between frames eats the counter.

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

On 3/21/2019 at 3:25 AM, SteveW said:

Locked, VSync=On, or Capped.

Example primary fps to go for 144/5=28.8 so you can set locked at 72, 48, 36, 28, 24, 20, 18 with increased coincidence of the frames to refresh for slightly better result. But there's not a lot in it.

If the refresh can be set at 24 then Unlimited+VSync=On in P3D display settings should be good in the sim but not so good in general Windows desktop use. So it would be better used that way only in the sim.

The NVidia app allows custom monitor configs including refresh so it might be able to be set to say 36 in a profile, but they can be tricky to set up..

An external fps cap in the GPU control panel or an app should be tried with Unlimited fps on the slider VSync=Off.

Hi Steve,

This is when one is using a single display setup. What should you do when using a multi-display setup (say 3 monitors)? During my testing it seems that the maximum FPS that is being obtained in a single display configuration is being divided by the number of displays in a multi-display environment. Is that correct?

Kind regards,

39 minutes ago, davetfc said:

Hi Steve,

This is when one is using a single display setup. What should you do when using a multi-display setup (say 3 monitors)? During my testing it seems that the maximum FPS that is being obtained in a single display configuration is being divided by the number of displays in a multi-display environment. Is that correct?

Kind regards,

It depends, yes (more or less) f your flight sim is spread across all the monitors,  no if flight sim is on one monitor.

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

So, sadly, I couldn't make it work the way I was hoping for. When limiting only with RTSS, I get blurries. Even with FFTF at 1.0, and even though the terrain & texture loading threads were maxing out their cores. When limiting internally, everything is fine, but I lose FPS in high load situations. Too bad...

• Like 1

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

4 hours ago, d.tsakiris said:

So, sadly, I couldn't make it work the way I was hoping for. When limiting only with RTSS, I get blurries. 

Not surprising to me.   What is your hardware?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I tried RTSS with FSX and didn't experiment too much but it seems to bring FSX to a crawl. It is affecting those sims in an odd way.

I have tried RTSS with Prepar3D and I can confirm that it does seem to work quite well.

However, I noted that the percentage variation around the target frame rate of 30 (set in RTSS with Unlimited in Prepar3D) was significantly larger than when compared with the frame rate simply being locked at 30 in the sim. With the latter configuration the percentage framerate variation while flying around KVPS in the F22 Raptor was steady at 0.2% and the flight was very smooth, whereas with RTSS running I was witnessing variations as high as 7-9%, but also without any noticeable stuttering which was remarkable.

Mike

• Like 1

I didn't think it was better and it seems to change behaviour depending on when the sim is started or restarted with it running. I'll have more time for a closer look someday, maybe it will get some updates that stabilise it.

On 3/21/2019 at 6:01 PM, Bert Pieke said:
On 3/21/2019 at 5:29 PM, Claude Troncy said:

So the question is what is the extra 40% CPU in core 0 used for when NVI is not here ????

Or, by extension, what is it that does NOT get done when NVI is here 

Hi @SteveW,

Did you have a explanation for this behavior. 

In my config,with NVI 30fps, the core 0 is at ~60% CPU, but with RTSS or internal the CPU is around 100%.

Cheers

Claude

4790K no HT, GTX 1080, P3D V4.4.

Claude Troncy

On 3/23/2019 at 6:12 PM, Mace said:

Not surprising to me.   What is your hardware?

i5-9600K stock, 16 Gig RAM, GTX1070, SSD.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

13 hours ago, Claude Troncy said:

Hi @SteveW,

Did you have a explanation for this behavior. 

In my config,with NVI 30fps, the core 0 is at ~60% CPU, but with RTSS or internal the CPU is around 100%.

Cheers

Claude

4790K no HT, GTX 1080, P3D V4.4.

Hi Claude,

In the Locked fps configuration the GPU has to make twice as many frames to keep the look -ahead buffer stocked.

With RTSS the sim is limited and the extra CPU appears to be a sleeping thread that continues to use the idle time so that Task Manage sees nearly 100%.Where normally that ends between renders. If you experiment with Starting RTSS after P3D it may behave differently and show some idle time after all. It is confusing normal P3D operation.

On the Nvidia Control Panel limiter it observes the last few frames taking time out of the render process. With RTSS it observes the rendering requirement taking less time from the process. However P3D is more complicated than usual with the window only mode and multiple view capacity and undocked panels and so on. So P3D may not present a regular opportunity for limiting that way. Look out for updates to RTSS.

Sorry @SteveW, I did not understand well when previously you talked about the P3D idle time used by RTSS.

Now it is a bit clearer, it seems you say there is a bug in RTSS which consume for nothing the idle time left by the render thread. which is not the case with NVI.

11 hours ago, SteveW said:

In the Locked fps configuration the GPU has to make twice as many frames to keep the look -ahead buffer stocked.

Does it mean that with a 60 hz monitor and 30fps limiter each frame is displayed twice ?

10 hours ago, SteveW said:

So P3D may not present a regular opportunity for limiting that way.

You mean using external limiter ? So for you the internal limiter is the best way even with a single view and no docked panel ?

Merci 
Cheers

Claude

Claude Troncy

11 hours ago, Claude Troncy said:

Sorry @SteveW, I did not understand well when previously you talked about the P3D idle time used by RTSS.

Now it is a bit clearer, it seems you say there is a bug in RTSS which consume for nothing the idle time left by the render thread. which is not the case with NVI.

Does it mean that with a 60 hz monitor and 30fps limiter each frame is displayed twice ?

You mean using external limiter ? So for you the internal limiter is the best way even with a single view and no docked panel ?

Merci 
Cheers

Claude

Not a bug, more likely a problem of P3D being so complex in this area that it behaves differently with RTSS than regular games.

With a 30 limit in place and working correctly only 30 frames are made so each frame is displayed once.

The internal limiter is not a 'limiter'. It makes look ahead frames stored into a buffer. When the buffer is full, only then are frames limited. Since there's always going to be a difference in time to construct each frame there's inconsistency. That inconsistency is filled in with the look ahead. When any of the look ahead is depleted another is built as well as the one to display. That's why you see high CPU use with the internal Locked fps slider.

Limiting frames externally is what RTSS and Nvidia Control Panel do.

There's no limiting in P3D.

Even using VSync = On is not a limit, it is simply trained on the refresh frequency of the monitor.

Edited by SteveW