Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

This is strange...

There is a strange anomaly I have found with P3D and Neilson's shipping.  On my system, when Neilson shipping is installed, as soon as I bring up the simulator it is unresponsive until I press ctl-alt-del, bring up the Task Manager and immediately close it.  After that everything works normally.  

This never happened in FSX.  But it happens in both P3Dv3 and P3Dv4.  

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I am not aware about a "Neilsons Shipping" addon, but most probably what you observe is due to the fact that your "shipping addon" uses old FS9 ship models that are simply not compatible with P3Dv4.x and thus leading to the crash.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Are you installing it directly, or using the xml method?  I use the latter with no issues.

You only need these two files for it to work, and yes, it's P3Dv4 compatible.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Devin, I added the ships folder directly to the Simobjects folder.  Then I added [entry.10] naming the Neilson Ship folder to the simobjects.cfg file.  I put all the traffic files in a folder under my addon scenery folder and added it to the scenery library.

It's no big deal.  Once I open the task manager and close it everything is normal.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

Devin, I added the ships folder directly to the Simobjects folder.  Then I added [entry.10] naming the Neilson Ship folder to the simobjects.cfg file.  I put all the traffic files in a folder under my addon scenery folder and added it to the scenery library.

It's no big deal.  Once I open the task manager and close it everything is normal.

Noel

Hmm...I don't think I have ever modified (manually) my simobjects.cfg file with P3D.  Maybe I have, but I can't remember.

I do not have that add-on, so maybe it's installation calls for editing that file, but that seems sketchy to me.  I know saving certain cfg files with the wrong encoding can cause P3D to crash.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

My P3D isn't crashing.  It's just that when the first screen comes up it's unresponsive.  I have to ctl-alt-del, open and close the task manager, and then everything is normal.  It's just an additional step to get started.

Noel

37 minutes ago, birdguy said:

My P3D isn't crashing.  It's just that when the first screen comes up it's unresponsive.  I have to ctl-alt-del, open and close the task manager, and then everything is normal.  It's just an additional step to get started.

Noel

Noel, try renaming your p3d config and let p3d build a new one.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

7 hours ago, birdguy said:

Noel

Odd...it's like your system doesn't refresh properly when the scenario screen comes up.

As ZKOKQ mentioned, try and let P3D rebuild the P3D.cfg file.

You may also what to download Lorby's free scenery addon organizer.  It can check your xml files to make sure they are P3D compliant and it may show you errors in your scenery set up. 

Another plus with his tool is it makes adding everything using the xml way a snap, that way your external scenery does not muddle up your P3D install and makes upgrading much, much easier.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Hmm...I don't think I have ever modified (manually) my simobjects.cfg file with P3D.  Maybe I have, but I can't remember. I do not have that add-on, so maybe it's installation calls for editing that file, but that seems sketchy to me.

There is nothing "sketchy" about it. I use exactly the same method with my Airplanes AI folder (a separate SimObjects folder for AI planes, so that they are distinct from my flyable planes).

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

4 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

There is nothing "sketchy" about it. I use exactly the same method with my Airplanes AI folder (a separate SimObjects folder for AI planes, so that they are distinct from my flyable planes).

Well, the rest of it aside, if he saved his cfg with the wrong encoding, that can cause a startup screen lockup as he indicated is happening.

Lorby's tool can fix

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB