Sign in to follow this  
fakeflyer737

QW 787 FPS RNP

Guys I am thinking about buying this bird, however I have a few questions. 

1) I currently am a huge fan of the FSL 320...can I run the 787 with at least the same FPS? I'm pretty sure the FSL stuff is the hardest hitter on FPS isn't it? 

2) Can the QW 787 fly a proper radius-fix type of  RNP approach. I don't just mean is it in the database, I mean I want it to actually work the way it does in the FSL plane.

3) I fly a lot of United and I think this bird would be perfect. Is there any reason I shouldn't purchase it? 

Regards,

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

It's definitely easier on FPS than the FSL A320.

There are RNAV approaches in the FMC but I believe RNP curved approaches are not modelled. You aren't going to get the systems depth you get with PMDG or FSL with this plane.

I would wait until the long awaited next patch comes out to try this one. There are definitely still some issues. I believe Flight1 has a refund policy if you purchase it and aren't satisfied.

1) 99% chance it will run MUCH more smoothly than the A320.

2) No way, José. Even for ordinary LNAV it has serious issues following the magenta, let alone RNP.

3) In my opinion it's quite an unfinished product yet. Perhaps one day, and I hope so, they will fix the various issues and then yes, it's going to be a great product.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

long haul yes, not short haul .... the later a bit "unreal" in most ways.

transcon perhaps.

for now, cheers

john martin

Thanks guys,  I think I'm going to pass! 

Appreaciate the help!

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

On 3/17/2019 at 12:33 PM, fakeflyer737 said:

Appreaciate the help!

Well Ron you could try it local with flight1 30 days policy in place 😉

André

Well I have to say, that my own potato can run it, so I'm sure yours can. It's a plane good for cross the pond or coast to coast, but getting too deep into it will show you it lacks some features. IF you just want to fly around like me from a to b and use ILS you're just fine. IT has some bugs here and there but tbh you don't get as much of a plane for 85 bucks today... 

Hope that helps

On 3/17/2019 at 4:06 AM, Wanthuyr Filho said:

No way, José. Even for ordinary LNAV it has serious issues following the magenta, let alone RNP.

Absolute twaddle.  I have over 200 hours, both long and short haul.  If you fly by the book it is just fine - Checklist intergration,  EFB setting FMC, VNAV.  The ONLY time it failed was when AS fed in spurious data with ludicrous high temps at Cruise, thereby losing all thrust.k

Buy it!

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 4:33 PM, fakeflyer737 said:

Appreaciate the help!

Ron, there is a very long and detailed forum post which was locked a few days ago. Check that out as it has many opinions and counter opinions. Then decide. 

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

On 3/20/2019 at 10:50 AM, Dean_EGTC said:

Absolute twaddle.  I have over 200 hours, both long and short haul.  If you fly by the book it is just fine - Checklist intergration,  EFB setting FMC, VNAV.  The ONLY time it failed was when AS fed in spurious data with ludicrous high temps at Cruise, thereby losing all thrust.k

Buy it!

+1 I love it 

14ppkc-6.png

On 3/20/2019 at 5:50 AM, Dean_EGTC said:

Buy it!

Not exactly. The developers acknowledge RNP is not modelled.

Try flying KEWR RNAV (RNP) Z RWY 29 a RNP of 0.3 nm is required.

It's in the NAV database but you will not replicate the actual approach as it was intended to be flown at all because the NAV system will not achieve that kind of performance. Also between GOLSN and HALPA it will not fly that radius at all.

Otherwise it does well in ILS, LOC, non-RNP RNAV approaches.

Though personally I don't like these approaches as I find them boring because you are basically letting AP fly the plane most of the way down. But this approach at KEWR is one of the more interesting ones I've come across.

Edited by JasonPC

1 hour ago, JasonPC said:

Not exactly. The developers acknowledge RNP is not modelled.

Try flying KEWR RNAV (RNP) Z RWY 29 a RNP of 0.3 nm is required.

It's in the NAV database but you will not replicate the actual approach as it was intended to be flown at all because the NAV system will not achieve that kind of performance. Also between GOLSN and HALPA it will not fly that radius at all.

Otherwise it does well in ILS, LOC, non-RNP RNAV approaches.

Though personally I don't like these approaches as I find them boring because you are basically letting AP fly the plane most of the way down. But this approach at KEWR is one of the more interesting ones I've come across.

That is correct straight in GPS RNAV approaches and the associated IAN mode are modeled. RNP is not at this time. We are looking into adding RNP functionality in the future.

Regarding EWR RW29 as a Northern NJ native and semi frequent listener to Newark tower over the last 10+ years I am very familiar with their ops. 

The KEWR RWY29 approaches, in real life they do NOT use any of the 29 RNP approaches because they go too far east and would make a mess of VFR corridor, they were overly optimistic approaches made by the FAA. So an RNAV visual approach was created about 6 years ago to replace the old ILS22L circle to 29 approach that is closer pattern.

When the wind is strong out of the NW in the winter months, usually once or even twice a week, the Stadium Visual approach is performed out of the north which is an RNAV aided visual approach which is much tighter non RNP pattern. Once in awhile 1 or 2 crews will "accidently" deliberately fly the RNP Y for A/P guidance all the way down when the RNAV Visual is in use but the tower notices it everytime as they are much wider than normal and they tell them to go "direct to the numbers" you can hear the A/P disconnecting as the pilot acknowledges. On very rare occasions the "Bridge Visual" has been used from the south. The RNP Z has never been used at EWR. There as also a former Morris Ave Visual approach in which aircraft flew over head from the west over the Runway 4 numbers at 2500' and made a descending left hand circle for 29. It was used maybe only a handful of times in 8+ years it existed. They phased it out with the Stadium Approach.

And lastly on calm clear days when EWR is landing 4R with a modest westerly wind they will also simultaneously land on Runway 29 via the GPS X-Ray approach only for southern arrivals to reduce congestion and bring in more planes between 1PM and 4PM local time.

So as you can see, all of the real life approaches used are the non-RNP ones. RNP is a vert important navigational feature, I agree, but it remains a niche approach around the world reserved for only the most necessary and challenging environments like Alaska for example.

BTW BA 787s fly the stadium approach all the time into EWR when its in use. Try it it's much more fun than the boring and elongated RNP procedure.

Edited by American 833 Heavy
  • Upvote 1

qwsig_Emil02-1.gif

Thanks for the background on that approach. I’m definitely not at all familiar with the operations at Newark. My pro-atc x assigned it once and I suspected it wasn’t one that is normally used. That program can assign some wacky approaches and I have to go in and disable them. I suspect for this runway it’s because it’s normally flown as a visual approach. I rarely fly any RNP RNAV approaches.

Edited by JasonPC

1 hour ago, American 833 Heavy said:

So as you can see, all of the real life approaches used are the non-RNP ones. RNP is a vert important navigational feature, I agree, but it remains a niche approach around the world reserved for only the most necessary and challenging environments like Alaska for example.

BTW BA 787s fly the stadium approach all the time into EWR when its in use. Try it it's much more fun than the boring and elongated RNP procedure.

I don't agree with your assessment of RNP being a 'niche' approach, at least not in the USA. At my airline, pilots are encouraged to request RNP approaches where available, which is probably over half our airports at this point. RNP approaches have several benefits, the most obvious being fuel savings. Curving RNP-Z approaches off of an arrival from a downwind are the most fuel efficient approaches possible, even more so than a visual in most circumstances. RNP approaches are preferable to visuals in environments with obstacles or closely spaced traffic in order to avoid TCAS RA's and obstacle alerts. 

RNP will never see full use as long as MD-80's and CRJ's are flying around, and some terminal environments aren't conducive to their use yet (as you noted with EWR) but that doesn't mean they aren't already playing a huge part in the NAS. My airline has been working with various ATC facilities to increase the use of RNP approaches and some airports we fly to have already made them their standard. 

Ben 

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV