Sign in to follow this  
ncngrr

Replaced GPU - now what?

Today, I replaced my GTX760 with an RTX2080 in my desktop PC (i7-4790).

I know there are things I need to do with P3D so it recognizes, and takes advantage of, the new GPU.  I deleted the P3D.cfg in AppData/Roaming/LockheedMartin/P3D, started up P3D, it created a new P3D.cfg, but it still shows the GTX760.

I imagine AVSIM already has a document that explains what all I need to do to prepare P3D for the new hardware. 

Would you please be so kind as to point me to it?

Thanks much.

Scott

Did you update the video driver? I clean driver install is probably a good idea.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

When I want to replace a graphics card, I do the following:

1) Go into "Device Manager / Display Adapters" and uninstall the current card.
2) Shut down the computer and install the new card.
3) Restart the computer and install the latest video drivers for the new card. The RTX2080 requires NVidia drivers 410.x or later (current latest is 419.35)

As far as Prepar3D is concerned:

1) Delete "Prepar3D.cfg" in the location you mentioned.
2) Delete the Shaders inside "C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Shaders"

When starting P3D for the first time after that, it rebuilds the "Prepar3D.cfg" and it takes a few minutes to rebuild the shaders (The screen stays black while it does that, this is normal. It only happens this one time). Deleting the shaders is important so that new shaders are created taking into account the new capabilities of your new graphics card.

Hope this helps. You may want to first go into "Device manager / Display Adapters" and confirm that your RTX2080 is listed there and not the GTX760. 

Normand

Intel i7 9700K @ 4.9 GHz / Asus Prime Z390-A / 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz / MSI RTX 4080 / PSU 750 Watt / Microsoft Flight Simulator / Windows 10 Pro x64

Hi, It is good to know this info when changing GPUs. Sorry to highjack this post, this is a question for "NBouc", and anyone else with more or less his same specs. I will be upgrading some of my hardware to " i7-9700k @ 5.0GHz + Asus rog maximus XL mb, 16 meg 3000 memory (may up to 32 meg)". I already have a GTX (strix)1080ti GPU which I will keep, and some fast SSDs. Could say you how P3D v4.4 performs with these specs, i.e, FPS, loading times, addon scenery etc. I do see a lot of posts with these sort of setups quoted in the sigs. Another question please, would I benefit from an extra 16 meg of ram (32 total) in P3D. Thank You, and again sorry for the highjack.

John.

10 hours ago, RichieFly said:

Did you update the video driver? I clean driver install is probably a good idea.

10 hours ago, NBouc said:

3) Restart the computer and install the latest video drivers for the new card. The RTX2080 requires NVidia drivers 410.x or later (current latest is 419.35)

Thanks guys.  I updated the Video driver this morning to 419.35.  I’ll delete the shaders later today and will let you know how I’m getting on.  

3 hours ago, bloxboy said:

... I already have a GTX (strix)1080ti GPU which I will keep, and some fast SSDs... Thank You, and again sorry for the highjack.

John.

No problem, John.

Speaking of SSDs, while I had the case open to swap out the GPU, I installed an additional SSD.  When I started the PC, I saw that it didn’t acknowledge the existence of the new SSD.  I suspect that I need to go into the BIOS and make it aware of the addition, but I’m unable to access the BIOS at startup.  The Gigabyte mobo manual says to press <DEL> at power on, which I’ve done in the past with success.  Not so much now, however.  Any helpful hints regarding this would also be appreciated!  Thanks again everyone!

If you deleted the p3d.cfg and the new one still shows the old graphics card then you most likely deleted the incorrect p3d.cfg.

As for the ssd, you need to go into your settings and find Disk Management. Easier just to read it here.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/initialize-new-disks

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Hi, Not sure why you can't access your bios, it is normally "DEL" key or "F1" key. Try taping the key as soon as you power up, before windows loads, But your bios should see the new drive, but windows will not see it at first. You have to go into "Disk Management", (right click on windows icon), in there it should list a new drive, but you have right click on it and "Make Simple Volume", give it a name and letter, after that on the boot of windows it should be there.

2 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

If you deleted the p3d.cfg and the new one still shows the old graphics card then you most likely deleted the incorrect p3d.cfg.

What is the correct P3D.cfg file?  I deleted the one I pointed to in my earlier post...

Thanks to those of you explaining the need to go to disk management and perform the initialization.  I did that and I now have a clean 1TB SSD to start filling up with who-knows-what P3D add-ons!  It comes with it a strange sense of freedom and flexibility!  

2 hours ago, bloxboy said:

Hi, Not sure why you can't access your bios, it is normally "DEL" key or "F1" key. Try taping the key as soon as you power up, before windows loads...

I confirmed the correct key-press <DEL> in the manual, and tried many times, even starting the incessant tapping of the key before actually hitting the power-on button.  No joy.  Just goes to Win10.  ☹️

5 hours ago, bloxboy said:

would I benefit from an extra 16 meg of ram (32 total) in P3D

Check that we are talking of GB of RAM, not MB 😉

Well ... may be in the future, but so far it did not make any difference for me with P3Dv4. I was simply curious to try it with 32GB. I haven't seen more than 11GB of system RAM being used in complex scenarios such as at FT EHAM+ORBX TE Netherland+PMDG 777 (or even around KLAX with ORBX SOCAL region). I haven't felt the need to test with all sliders to the max just to see if it would use more RAM.

As for the performance, I am satisfied with what I have. My P3D settings vary from medium to high, depending on what is important to me, and I don't use much shadow casting (only casts from internal and external vehicle) simply because that's how I like it, but the few shadows I use are set to high quality. I am aiming for smoothness and image quality on a 2160x1080 IPS monitor (60 Hz).

I use Dynamic Lighting with 4xSSAA coupled with 4xSGSS, VSync ON, Triple Buffering and Target FPS unlimited. This gives me 30-45 FPS most of the time at complex airports with a few dips between 25-30 at night that last a few seconds only (FT CYYZ / KBOS) with 60% AI traffic.

Normand

Intel i7 9700K @ 4.9 GHz / Asus Prime Z390-A / 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz / MSI RTX 4080 / PSU 750 Watt / Microsoft Flight Simulator / Windows 10 Pro x64

9 minutes ago, ncngrr said:

What is the correct P3D.cfg file?  I deleted the one I pointed to in my earlier post...

Mine is located in C:\Users\Normand\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

and is named "Prepar3D.cfg"

Normand

13 hours ago, NBouc said:

As far as Prepar3D is concerned:

1) Delete "Prepar3D.cfg" in the location you mentioned.
2) Delete the Shaders inside "C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Shaders"

When starting P3D for the first time after that, it rebuilds the "Prepar3D.cfg" and it takes a few minutes to rebuild the shaders (The screen stays black while it does that, this is normal. It only happens this one time). Deleting the shaders is important so that new shaders are created taking into account the new capabilities of your new graphics card.

I deleted the shaders in the folder you pointed to.  Started P3D.  It’s taking an inordinately long amount of time to get past the initial splash screen.  So... I’ll just walk away and check back in on it later today.  

2 minutes ago, NBouc said:

Mine is located in C:\Users\Normand\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

and is named "Prepar3D.cfg"

I deleted that file.  Thanks.  We’ll see what happens when P3D comes back to life.