Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

And the costs keep mounting :( .............

Ok, Gotcha, my thread is bait and switch, just wanted someone to open it while I chill to Steely Dan live, great simming muzak....  Once again someone has posted about new payware, this time the Xplane11 Vskylabs Icon A5 while I wait for Carenado to release its P3DV4 Embraer.... 

My sim hobby is obviously the biggest entertainment investment I ever made in my life, but it launched my career.  In '84 while I was flying to London I read a US News and World Report article, or maybe it was Time, that said MSFS/Sublogic FS were the biggest selling software titles in the world, even outselling popular spreadsheet products at the time.  Spurred me to buy a computer, become enough of a computer geek to teach the stuff for 35 years and design the stuff for 20 years, not gaming but business apps, I was never a gamer, sans for Hoyle Card Games Hearts and Rummy 500, which I love to play (and lose to) with reckless abandon.

It is funny as developers have increased costs of payware, and not by much if I look back to my first purchases, since I do not buy heavy iron payware, my expectations have plateaued, I realize I will always get something exceeding my expectations even if it ships with a minor chirp here and there.  Reminds me of my Mom's first solo airline flight alone (her first flight was in a Piper Cub waaaay back when).  She said the captain came on and said "welcome to our maiden voyage"....  She said she was a nervous wreck as she downed her Valium which was widely prescribed back then and yet she still was stunned awake the entire flight, staring at every nut and bolt on that DC-10's wings as it flew SFO-ORD.   When we picked her up weeks later she practically collapsed in our arms, my father, me and my brothers, and she never flew alone again after that, always one of us was required for her protection.

With payware, every purchase is that "maiden voyage" and even at age 58 I am giggly about my Mom's memory since I know the flight model won't unzip unless I try to be an old and bold pilot.

So here is a man with a wee bit of Irish thanking all the payware vendors who have sold this "whiner" their software on St. Patrick's day....

This Bud's to you!

John☘️

Here's a man with a lot of Irish and I thank all the vendors too...........Erin Go Bragh.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

5 minutes ago, W2DR said:

Here's a man with a lot of Irish and I thank all the vendors too...........Erin Go Bragh.

ha ha you fell for my bait.....   

E Deus amou o mundo que Deus nos deu o Día de San Patricio

• Upvote 1

Ah, someone gave me a floppy disc in 1985 with MS Flight Sim, version 1, and it was off to the races:  Several different flight sim apps + many versions, and mucho $$$ later...  

3 hours ago, overspeed3 said:

Ah, someone gave me a floppy disc in 1985 with MS Flight Sim, version 1, and it was off to the races:  Several different flight sim apps + many versions, and mucho $$$ later...  

I remember the Sublogic disk for my C64 had copy protection, and would cause my disc drive to make a grinding/chainsaw sound when it would load.  On later versions, with the Atari ST, I was able to run FS from a Ramdisk and that was cool, it removed scenery load times...  I loved that!

John