Sign in to follow this  
whamil77

Carenado PA31T Cheyenne II Mod v3.1

Updates in version 3.1

1. Fixed a problem with the Main Attitude Gyro that would cause it to occasionally freeze.

2. Fixed the power to the Main Attitude Gyro that correctly controls it from the Avionics Master Switch rather than the Battery Switch.

3. Fixed a problem that would inhibit engine start if using the Avidyne EX500 and the Carenado GNS530.

4. Updated the autopilot*

* Note: There are still issues with the autopilot.  I am resolving those issues while developing a mod for the Carenado Cheyenne III.  This update has some interim corrections but is not the final product.  The final version will be provided along with the Cheyenne III/IIIA.

Update in your emails.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Outstanding Bill, your work is greatly appreciated! Great to hear you're doing something with the Carenado Cheyenne III.

Cheers Bill
Andrew

Andrew Walker

Thank you for the update, Bill.  Enjoying flying this bird.

Stew

• Upvote 1

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

Thanx a ton, Bill! Didn't install your latest mods yet due to some personal issues but will sure do in the near future. It's absolutely fantastic to have a decent Cheyenne (optical -kudos to Carenado and technical - a thousand kudos to you) in P3D as it was always my favourite twin engine plane.

• Upvote 1

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

Two questions:

1. During start up, shortly after starting the second engine (the order doesn't appear to make a difference) the engine I started first will slow way down and the oil temp comes up as though there's a heavy load on the engine.  I've followed the procedure in the POH and I've performed some variations with different bus tie and generator configs and even with the bus ties and gen off it still winds down. It comes back up again and I can keep doing more testing to try and isolate the issue but it seems odd to me. Am I the only one experiencing this?

2. Would it be possible to include a GPU in a future update? If you don't start an engine very quickly after powering up the aircraft, you will not have enough battery power to start an engine.  This morning I tried to simply put my route into the GNS before starting up and it had already drained the batter down to ~22v.  This also brings to mind the question as to whether or not I should be using FSUIPC's battery life function.  I am currently not since most of the planes I fly circumvent that inherently, however, the Cheyenne seems to suffer from a pretty short battery life.  Would using that facility help and would it cause any potential conflicts with the mod?

Loving the mod otherwise. I really can't say enough; it's fantastic work.

Ian

9 hours ago, Eyaen said:

Two questions:

1. During start up, shortly after starting the second engine (the order doesn't appear to make a difference) the engine I started first will slow way down and the oil temp comes up as though there's a heavy load on the engine.  I've followed the procedure in the POH and I've performed some variations with different bus tie and generator configs and even with the bus ties and gen off it still winds down. It comes back up again and I can keep doing more testing to try and isolate the issue but it seems odd to me. Am I the only one experiencing this?

2. Would it be possible to include a GPU in a future update? If you don't start an engine very quickly after powering up the aircraft, you will not have enough battery power to start an engine.  This morning I tried to simply put my route into the GNS before starting up and it had already drained the batter down to ~22v.  This also brings to mind the question as to whether or not I should be using FSUIPC's battery life function.  I am currently not since most of the planes I fly circumvent that inherently, however, the Cheyenne seems to suffer from a pretty short battery life.  Would using that facility help and would it cause any potential conflicts with the mod?

Loving the mod otherwise. I really can't say enough; it's fantastic work.

Ian

I have not seen the engine issue.  Ensure that the first engine has been set to at least 68% prior to engaging the generator.  Ensure the generator load has decreased to below 100 amps prior to starting the second engine. 

Here is what I have figured out so far about the battery problem. 

Carenado did not map the electrical system in the aircraft.cfg file other than to specify battery voltage, generator voltage, and generator output.  When I looked at the battery voltage and load variables I found the following:

Battery Switch - ON = 5 amps out of the battery

Avionics Switch + Battery switch - ON = 20 amps out of the battery with the voltage falling rapidly.

I copied the electrical loads from the Alabeo Cessna 310 and inserted them into the Cheyenne II aircraft.cfg.  Now I get the following:

Battery Switch - ON = 2 amps out of the battery

Avionics Switch + Battery switch - ON = 7 amps out of the battery with the voltage falling very slowly.

I guess the moral of the story is that if one doesn't specify electrical loads in the aircraft.cfg, P3D assumes default values that are quite high. 

I will put external power in the next update, but in the interim place the following in the aircraft.cfg in place of the current electrical system and see how it goes:

[electrical]
max_battery_voltage = 24
generator_alternator_voltage = 28
max_generator_alternator_amps = 500
engine_generator_map= 1,1
electric_always_available = 0
avionics_bus       = 0, 5 , 17.0
additional_system  = 0, 2 , 17.0

Regards,

Bill

Thanks Bill, I will give this a try.

The odd thing about the engine loading is that there is no systems logic behind it. I.e. The gen isn't on and furthermore the bus ties are off.  The second engine starts just fine on battery power alone after it's been re-charged after the initial engine start as per the POH. The first engine should sit and run happily. An odd bug indeed.

Something I just thought of though- I'm going to closely monitor battery voltage next time and see if the drop in battery voltage corresponds with the slowing of the engine. I have a sneaky suspicion that it will.

Hello, I recently bought this airplane and like the ideas presented in this update, however I am not sure where to download. Could someone share the download files?

Thanks

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:44 PM, peterjthomps said:

Hello, I recently bought this airplane and like the ideas presented in this update, however I am not sure where to download. Could someone share the download files?

Thanks

You normally send Bill ( Whamil77) a PM here on avsim requesting to be added on his email list. so in include your email in the PM.

regards bob.   .. he posted recently that he was catching up with none flightsim duties, so be prepared for a delay. but always worth waiting for.

On 5/4/2019 at 10:56 AM, Eyaen said:

Two questions:

I just reinstalled the Cheyenne after a while of not using it, and figured I would give these mods a try and am having the same exact problem. I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. Have you been able to find out what went wrong?? Or can someone else chime in? Thanks!

On 7/15/2019 at 2:00 AM, pilatuz said:

I just reinstalled the Cheyenne after a while of not using it, and figured I would give these mods a try and am having the same exact problem. I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. Have you been able to find out what went wrong?? Or can someone else chime in? Thanks!

I haven't flown the plane too much lately but I never did find a work around or procedure that cures that problem. It doesn't have any long term detrimental effects on the plane at least; it's just a strange bug to experience every start up.

To follow up, I flew the Cheyenne some and tried a few different ways.  I seem to have found a work around.

I start an an engine (in this case I started the right engine first), turn on the generator and push the power to 68% and allow the ammeter load to drop to an acceptable level.  Now instead of turning the generator off for the second engine start, I leave it on and the power at 68%. The second engine starts normally and there are no power reductions.  To my knowledge this isn't the correct way to start the second engine but it works for the sim at least.

6 hours ago, Eyaen said:

To follow up, I flew the Cheyenne some and tried a few different ways.  I seem to have found a work around.

I start an an engine (in this case I started the right engine first), turn on the generator and push the power to 68% and allow the ammeter load to drop to an acceptable level.  Now instead of turning the generator off for the second engine start, I leave it on and the power at 68%. The second engine starts normally and there are no power reductions.  To my knowledge this isn't the correct way to start the second engine but it works for the sim at least.

Odd, but I have always left the generator *on*.  Nowhere in the checklist does it mention to turn off the first engine's generator before starting the second engine, so I have never seen the power drop you have noted in your post above.  By turning off the first generator, I don't think we should be surprised that there will be a power drop.

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

On 8/5/2019 at 6:52 PM, StewartH said:

Odd, but I have always left the generator *on*.  Nowhere in the checklist does it mention to turn off the first engine's generator before starting the second engine, so I have never seen the power drop you have noted in your post above.  By turning off the first generator, I don't think we should be surprised that there will be a power drop.

Some one that knows more than will have to comment but I remember the pilot doing that when I sat right seat in a Cheyenne I once. I *think* this was also the procedure I observed when I got to sit right seat for a B1900D run up.  The gen was switched off right before advancing the condition lever so the generator was used to help spin up the engine.  Not sure the reasoning behind it.  I was just doing it in the Cheyenne in the sim because it's what I had observed.

On 8/6/2019 at 12:52 AM, StewartH said:

Don't have the Cheyenne installed but the RW procedure says to always switch the starter to OFF after engine start.

You only turn the generator ON after you have advanced the power lever(s) to 68%Ng.

Only during a engine cross start you turn the generator OFF with the operating engine at 68% Ng, but as soon as the starter has accelerated non-operaing the engine to 10% Ng (which is before you move the condition lever to run) you turn the generator ON.

This is only applicable for the Cheyenne II and doesn't apply e.g. for the 1900D!

Edited by FDEdev
wording