Sign in to follow this  
bobbyjack

FSX steam edition???

I'm probably late to the dance here, but I just noticed my boxed edition of FSX, installed 2 years ago,  is labeled Steam Edition on the home page. I don't remember anything about that. But then again, I'm not sure I remember yesterday 🙂

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

The Home page changed a while ago.  FSInsider, or whatever it is, only references FSX-SE now.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

It also says that if I was connected to the internet, I would be able to visit various places. I was connected to the internet and none of the links are active. I'm just wondering how any reference to Steam got there. I've never used it. Not a big deal, I just would like to know. 

Bob

None of that Home Page works for us box FSX users any longer.  The Home Page,itself, is only a link to FSInsder and whatever stuff is displayed. I have my Sim adjusted so I go directly to the Free Flight setup screen when FSX starts.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Your post has me puzzled.  FSX was dropped by Microsoft years ago; certainly more than two years ago.  This means that your disk version of FSX was published well before Steam assumed the FSX franchise and made the sim what it is today.  So how did the Steam name get inserted in your disk version of FSX?  Are you sure you didn't register for Steam at some point?  Steam/FSX is payware, meaning it was never given away.  I have two boxed versions of FSX: the 2006 first day original, and the later one with Acceleration.  If installed, neither of them reference Steam, even today.

I don't remember when I bought FSX. It was before MS dropped FSX. Two years ago I rebuilt my desktop and reinstalled the sim, but never looked at the home page. It wasn't until a few weeks ago, when I installed it on my laptop, that I happened to notice the home page. Both the desktop and laptop refer to Steam. I can only figure that the homepage looks online for fsinsider, and that Steam somehow points to itself under those circumstances.

I've never had an issue activating the sim.

Bob

The FSX boxed home screen pulls from fsinsider.com which redirects to this: https://cdn.microsoftstudios.com/fsx/motd.html

Oddly you have to be connected to the internet to see this page, otherwise you would see the content in Uires/gs01.htm in your FSX folder.

Barry Friedman