Sign in to follow this  
sightseer

Is it possible to get rid of recently added Cessna cockpit effect

I'm on XP11.32.  The default Cessna got some new effects with 11.30 including an engine smoke effect which i believe is causing me a problem.  My sky and clouds tend to flash/flicker and have odd colors from time to time.  if I look at the world in external view, everything looks fine.  Even if I look at things through the side windows it all looks fine (no flickering or odd colors).  its only when looking through the front windscreen and so Im assuming its the added engine smoke effect or maybe some other effect that was recently added.  Theres a faint flickering purple line just above the horizon in the sky and the clouds will tend to flicker sometimes and they will get green and purple colors in them.  when I switch to outside view they look good and the line in the sky is gone.

Is there any way for me to turn these effects off?  The Cessna used to be my favorite plane and Id like it to be again.

thanks in advance for any help.  Im pretty sure its a feature and not a bug but I don't care for it.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

I'm not an expert by any means. But, wouldn't moving the Effects slider to the left do the trick?

Signed,

Capt Obvious

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Looks like Austen got loose again - follow something taking off from a grass strip and you'll instinctively duck to avoid the mud being slung at you.

12 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Looks like Austen got loose again - follow something taking off from a grass strip and you'll instinctively duck to avoid the mud being slung at you.

I simulate flight using only X-Plane and love it. BUT . . .  why do the XP team members allow the inclusion of unrealistic features such as you describe or tires screeching while taxiing to be included in the consumer version of X-Plane? I've flown in Cessna aircraft several times, spent many hours at my local airport (a family member has an RV8) and not once have I ever heard tires screeching while planes taxi around the airport. All I've ever heard is a 'chirp' when landing. X-Plane is not a game but rather a serious simulation that Laminar Research should ensure remains serious.

JJ

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I've personally logged over six thousand hours in light aircraft and never encountered some of the features in X Plane.  The sim is the concept of the owner and thus he can pretty much dictate how things are done.  Fortunately most users have learned to live with these 'lapses from reality' 'cause it really is a good sim overall. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jean-Jacques said:

not once have I ever heard tires screeching while planes taxi around the airport. All I've ever heard is a 'chirp'

I'm currently completing Instrument Instructor training and the sim we use has X-Plane. It does indeed appear quite comical with the excessive screeching and also wild deer running across the runway after a simulated flight lesson teaching an instrument approach. How our Aviation Regulator certified it is beyond me.

• Like 1

David Porrett

30 minutes ago, DavidP said:

I'm currently completing Instrument Instructor training and the sim we use has X-Plane. It does indeed appear quite comical with the excessive screeching and also wild deer running across the runway after a simulated flight lesson teaching an instrument approach. How our Aviation Regulator certified it is beyond me.

Once you get past the word not allowed stuff, it's really good procedure wise.

17 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Once you get past the word not allowed stuff, it's really good procedure wise.

Agreed ☺ 

Well I tried all of the visual effects settings and the flickering is present with all of them.  I even unchecked the 'allow windshield effects' box but that didn't help.  The flickering is actually noticeable through the side windows of the Cessna as well but not when you are close to them??  thats the way it seems anyway.

I've looked through the files and I see nothing I can disable or alter.  FSX had a file that was used for reflections and I think all effects were .fx files.  With XP it looks as though the effects are embedded into the model??

I had hoped for a simple file change or maybe a dataref but it doesnt sound like there is anything I can do.

its not major. I'll live with it.  Please continue ya'lls discussion.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.