Sign in to follow this  
Jetset408

Virtual-Fly Ruddo and TQ3 Config & Calibration

Hello all

Just got the Ruddo and TQ3 and will be using with Prepar3D - so far, so good. Love them.

There are 3 options for setting calibration it would seem - use Prepar3Ds internal tool, use FSUIPC or use V-Flys own driver/configuration tool. I will not be using FSUIPC (and i dont want to contemplate adding this to my already long lis of addon software). So questions are:

1. In anyones experience, is the V-Fly tool a better method than P3D method? It seems i can control deadzones etc. better so this is my preferred approach if it works OK.
  2. I think form the manual i have to remove all axis assignments in P3D, then make sure i run V-Fly tool every time. Is this correct? (so basically, the controls are not allocated to any function in P3D and are invisible)
  3. Finally, if i use the V-Fly tool method, say I forget to open the V-Fly tool, start Prepar3D, then load the tool afterwards (ie. mid-flight), will this allow the controllers to start working? I know Prepar3D wont recognise devices that are plugged in after start-up and wondered if this would be the same.

Thanks all.

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

32 minutes ago, Jetset408 said:

Hello all

Just got the Ruddo and TQ3 and will be using with Prepar3D - so far, so good. Love them.

There are 3 options for setting calibration it would seem - use Prepar3Ds internal tool, use FSUIPC or use V-Flys own driver/configuration tool. I will not be using FSUIPC (and i dont want to contemplate adding this to my already long lis of addon software). So questions are:

1. In anyones experience, is the V-Fly tool a better method than P3D method? It seems i can control deadzones etc. better so this is my preferred approach if it works OK.
  2. I think form the manual i have to remove all axis assignments in P3D, then make sure i run V-Fly tool every time. Is this correct? (so basically, the controls are not allocated to any function in P3D and are invisible)
  3. Finally, if i use the V-Fly tool method, say I forget to open the V-Fly tool, start Prepar3D, then load the tool afterwards (ie. mid-flight), will this allow the controllers to start working? I know Prepar3D wont recognise devices that are plugged in after start-up and wondered if this would be the same.

Thanks all.

Hi,

I've been messing with TQ6+ calibrations for the last two weeks using/trying all three and as of now, FSUIPC is my choice. That said

1) Documentation states the V-Fly software is the way to go. I have no luck with this method. Spikes and erratic readings while calibrating, plus when reverse thrust is engaged the aircraft stops in 50 feet and begins accelerating, um, backwards. Not good! 

2) Yes, you have to run the software with P3D and disable all axis assignments within the sim.

3) Not sure, but your comment regarding P3D not recognizing hardware while it's running I find incorrect. Plenty of times I have started a flight only to find one of the controllers not functioning. Unplugging/plugging the USB cable of the guilty device brings it to immediate life...while still flying. 

I'm curious what others are using because I've had not an easy time of it.   

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

I have both TQ6+ and a Yoko yoke. I use Spadnext for all my controllers but FSUIPC works also. I don't use the VF software. Im sure if you talk to VF they will guide you thru it.  I hope you bought the Plus versions of those controllers as they are far superior to the old ones.   Josh

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

2 hours ago, Chocorua said:

Hi,

I've been messing with TQ6+ calibrations for the last two weeks using/trying all three and as of now, FSUIPC is my choice. That said

1) Documentation states the V-Fly software is the way to go. I have no luck with this method. Spikes and erratic readings while calibrating, plus when reverse thrust is engaged the aircraft stops in 50 feet and begins accelerating, um, backwards. Not good! 

AS far as I know you don't calibrate the TQ6+ as it is set at the factory. You do have to assign the axes and if using reversers  you have to set the parameters. I also notice the accelerating backwards thing too. Josh

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

8 minutes ago, FreeBird(Josh) said:

AS far as I know you don't calibrate the TQ6+ as it is set at the factory. You do have to assign the axes and if using reversers  you have to set the parameters. I also notice the accelerating backwards thing too. Josh

Thanks Josh. Using FSUIPC and setting min/max/idle gets me normal thrust reverse operation so I stick with that. 

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Thanks for the responses. I do indeed have the plus version of the TQ3.

Interesting comment about the spiking and reverse thrust issues. When testing with FSLABS A320, reverse thrust caused some strange issues resulting in the airplane spinning around all over the place. I could also engage reverse thrust in the air and cause the same. Now I wonder if this is a V-Fly issue? I assumed it was a Fslabs glitch from a faulty load of the airplane or something....

Rob Bates

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

Thought i would give a quick update on this.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I did some testing and when disabling the controllers in P3D, even running V-Fly tool, the controllers wouldnt work. When activated in P3d and V-Fly tool running, i had the issues with reverse thrust (where everything goes nuts when deployed on the ground or in the air).

So i have opted for FSUIPC and bought a subscription. I have now put 100% sensitivity and 0% null zone in my P3D settings, and then calibrated the axis for all controllers in FSUIPC.

Seems to work well now!

Edited by Jetset408

Rob Bates

Rob, thanks for the update. Do I understand this correctly...you are assigning the axes in P3D, yet calibrating in FSUIPC? 

My own results have shown that the V-Fly tool works great in XP11 (as configured per their instructions).

P3D however...I'm using FSUIPC for axis assignments and calibration, but no P3D settings at all (for the TQ6). 

It's taken me some time, but finally I have it dialed in.

And I suppose after all that...I must say, moving the levers...whether flying jets, turbo props, or piston singles feels solid, smooth, and precise. 

YAY! 

cheers, 

Greg

On 3/20/2019 at 10:16 PM, Chocorua said:

Rob, thanks for the update. Do I understand this correctly...you are assigning the axes in P3D, yet calibrating in FSUIPC? 

My own results have shown that the V-Fly tool works great in XP11 (as configured per their instructions). 

P3D however...I'm using FSUIPC for axis assignments and calibration, but no P3D settings at all (for the TQ6).  

It's taken me some time, but finally I have it dialed in.

And I suppose after all that...I must say, moving the levers...whether flying jets, turbo props, or piston singles feels solid, smooth, and precise. 

YAY! 

cheers, 

Greg

Hi Greg

Yes so far i have assigned in P3D and calibrated in FSUIPC (selected the Send to Sm option). All i need from FSUIPC is to be able to set a curve on the brake axis (which i set to -15).

Now here lies my new problem - i have only flown the FSL bus so far. My other two weapons of choice are PMDG planes and A2A planes and i have read FSUIPC is not recommended with them (due to potential conflicts with intercepting the controls).

At a loss as to what to do now - tempted to bin FSUIPC and just have P3D assignments and accept that i cant adjust calibration curves.

Rob Bates

2 minutes ago, Jetset408 said:

Hi Greg

Yes so far i have assigned in P3D and calibrated in FSUIPC (selected the Send to Sm option). All i need from FSUIPC is to be able to set a curve on the brake axis (which i set to -15).

Now here lies my new problem - i have only flown the FSL bus so far. My other two weapons of choice are PMDG planes and A2A planes and i have read FSUIPC is not recommended with them (due to potential conflicts with intercepting the controls).

At a loss as to what to do now - tempted to bin FSUIPC and just have P3D assignments and accept that i cant adjust calibration curves.

Interesting Rob. I've always assumed if one assigns in P3D OR FSUIPC, then calibration has to be in same. Might try that if things change but for several flight sessions all is working nicely. 

Seems I tried an A2A aircraft and had throttle problems, but I'll have to retest.